Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Attending Two Settings

hi hope someone can help me - we recently had o in - one of their requirements was for us to communicate with other settings that our children attend.

has anyone a letter or any ideas on how we can do this - so we have evidence so show ofsted that we have tried even if other setting didnt wan t to know thanks

We have previously tried to get other settings to complete our diaries that the parents use but that hasn't been taken up too well. The one setting that planned to do it then decided to start their own but didn't let parents bring them to us defeating the object really. I now plan to send them a copy of our termly evaluation and plan for the following term. This is individual to the child and highlights where the child is in each of the six areas of learning and their next steps. I will also send them blank copies so they have the option of replying in kind but I can't see it happening somehow!

Hi, I wrote letters and accosted their staff in Tesco and they kept promising they would do something and finally I just made notebooks called 'keypie's (Key Person Information Exchange) and we wrote in those. I have to say though that it was a bit of a waste of time as they only wrote in it once and didn't tell us anything we didn't already know! 'Charlotte is a lovely little girl who loves dressing up' type of thing.

There have been several threads on this, I'll see if I can find one for you

here it is

Edited by Cait

Hi

We do much the same has Holly b's reply, when a child starts our nursery i always contact the other nursery and have a chat with them about the importance of sharing infomation and what we are trying to achieve. We send them termly (3 a year) an evaluation sheet covering the six learning areas and the level they have been observed working on in our nursery, always enclosing a blank form for them to send back to us with info from their setting. I had 8 children last year who attended other settings not one of them bothered to complete the forms and send them back! This leaves us wondering what they did with the info we sent them. For our records we included copies of our info in learning journeys so that we could prove that we sent it.

I found it very sad that we hade made this huge effort really for nothing. I hope you have a better experience.

claire

We all know we need to share the information but find it impossible to implement it smoothly . we always had problems with groups quoting confidentiality back at us.. even now they do it.. we even ahd written permission from parents to share and they were a go between, but still no joy.

I worries me a bit, as all the info we sent out ( and you ) could all go to make the other setting look like they are sharing, on paper they have the info from you and I do wonder - will anyone ask what they sent in return or ask to see copies? Are we all helping other settings look good and getting negative comments ourselves as they don't return?

Just a few thoughts...

Inge

Edited by Inge

We borrowed Cait's KEYPIE idea, it works really well with one setting but the private nursery does not want to get involved at all. The owner has said that her staff do not have the time to do it and she does not see the point. Well 1 out of 2 is not bad I suppose. We tend to write in the child's interests and what we have done to extend it, for example one shared child is working well in an enveloping schema and we have said that we are wrapping parcels, writing letters and putting in envelopes to go to the post box and also using the russian dolls - so far...but we have had nothing back, we will still continue to share information, as it is for the child's benefit. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)