Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Attainment On Entry

Hi all wondered if anyone could help with a point that was made at our recent Ofsted.

we need to "develop assessments to show children's attainment on entry"

we currently have a discussion with parents and take from them where they think their children are at - we are thinking of taking the 22-36 months dev matters (children start at 2) and over the first few weeks observing them at their play against these points.

What do you do? any advice greatfully recieved

Edited by thumperrabbit

There is a booklet on here somewhere, I think its one of Cait's, its called 'My Unique Child', its a brilliant little booklet that enables parents to give a more fuller picture of their child, this coupled with your observations when children first start at the setting, would enable you to plan appropriate activiities and enhance the continuous provision based on development areas and interests.

Thank You Cait that really is fantastic!

It is a little like the form we fill in with the parents but ours is nowhere near as professional looking!

The final page where you have the summary 'make keys notes about the child...' is the only bit we haven't done in the past so maybe thats what we need to look at to satisfy Mrs Ofsted.

Thanks again

I've finalised the transition form which is going out this week. I have put the things on the back page rather than with the other headings as it makes it easier for the teacher to read all in one place I thought. There's space at the top of the last page for you to enter a child's name if you wish

Transition_Document_b_forum.doc

Cait, thank you so much for sharing these great documents. I used your original transition form (at least I think it was yours, it looked very similar to the above) just today and the feedback I got from the parent was wonderful. It was already a very useful tool for summarising a child's time with us, but now, with the addition of your page 5 with the grids/stages to highlight, it's outstanding!!!

Thanks again!

Cait, thank you so much for sharing these great documents. I used your original transition form (at least I think it was yours, it looked very similar to the above) just today and the feedback I got from the parent was wonderful. It was already a very useful tool for summarising a child's time with us, but now, with the addition of your page 5 with the grids/stages to highlight, it's outstanding!!!

Thanks again!

page 5? only 4 pages long on my computer..... :o

Oops, you are right, I printed page 1 off twice, lol!

Since I've just printed off both documents and was reading through them again just now, I was wondering if a similar page to page 4 (as it really is) from the transitions document could be appended to the Unique Child booklet once the parent has completed it. It could then be used to record the initial assessment into the dev matters months/ages...... Just a thought.......

(maybe a completely rubbish thought as it's so close to the end of term :o )

• 2 weeks later...
I've finalised the transition form which is going out this week. I have put the things on the back page rather than with the other headings as it makes it easier for the teacher to read all in one place I thought. There's space at the top of the last page for you to enter a child's name if you wish

hi. v interested in your lovely booklet. can you explain when you do this? Is it for children coming in to Nursery or for children leaving reception?

I use it for children leaving - I have a different one for children arriving - which is uploaded here somewhere!

(Perhaps I aught to be uploading to the resources section)

Thanks for sharing those Cait I REALLY like them. I like LJW idea about using your last page to enhance entry level too. Just when you think you have got it covered someone comes along with a brilliant idea which you just have to explore!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)