Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swine Flu

sunnyday

We had 'it' at our school and I had 4 parents keep their children off. Don't worry too much, they come back...eventually! (Mine are Reception) Oh, and mine was slightly more stressful as I was trying to organise our class assembly and sports day and play and stay sessions for next year's children (and the other reception teacher had 'it'!) so was slightly upset that these children were off...for many reasons!

General advice - most of us will get it in some form, it's better to get it now that in the Autumn term, reassure the parents that it is safe to come into the setting - if it was not you wouldn't let the children in (!) and if it was just called 'flu' no-one would be batting an eyelid!

Sam x

Cases are increasing rapidly now and they have moved on from trying to contain it to merely treating it, much in the same way as any other flu. There has been masses on the news about this rapid spread and information has been sent to everyone about good infection control procedures in the home. It is really not cost effective to keep repeating this information every time there is a possibility that someone has it. xD To be honest, sending out a letter now when someone gets is is an over the top reaction - you wouldn't expect to be informed if someone got flu usually and this is no longer any different. :o To my mind there has already been too much of an over reaction which has led people to fear it which leads to a hysterical response, such as the father that sunnyday encountered.

Cases are increasing rapidly now and they have moved on from trying to contain it to merely treating it, much in the same way as any other flu. There has been masses on the news about this rapid spread and information has been sent to everyone about good infection control procedures in the home. It is really not cost effective to keep repeating this information every time there is a possibility that someone has it. xD To be honest, sending out a letter now when someone gets is is an over the top reaction - you wouldn't expect to be informed if someone got flu usually and this is no longer any different. :o To my mind there has already been too much of an over reaction which has led people to fear it which leads to a hysterical response, such as the father that sunnyday encountered.

You are right of course Beau - we need to move our 'mindset' on now from 'containment' to 'treatment' - by the autumn term we will have all done so I'm sure - can't help but wish this hadn't 'happened' to us until then - does that make sense?

This is one of those times when being an owner/manager feels like a 'lonely' place to be! :(

Sunnyday

Cases are increasing rapidly now and they have moved on from trying to contain it to merely treating it, much in the same way as any other flu.

you wouldn't expect to be informed if someone got flu usually and this is no longer any different.

Beau, I agree that we all have lots of information about swine flu but it is not being treated the same as any other flu. It is being treated with antivirals to protect the most vulnerable. These drugs need to be administered within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms and therefore it is important to inform people if there is an increased risk that their child has been exposed. Considering the hygiene practices of 4 and 5 year-olds that risk has to be high!

Not all people will seek or need treatment but this information could make a difference to those who do need it.

If the school can tell us to look out for head lice they can do the same with swine flu.

I have emailed my Development Officer and my EYAT to ask if I need to inform Ofsted.........I have had 'read receipt' messages from them but no replies......guess they don't know either!!!

Think I will though - just to 'cover my back'.

What a great way to end the school year - not!!!

Have now received reply from EYAT - 'no need to inform Ofsted'

Just thought that might be useful.

Sunnyday

Edit - see post 38

Edited by sunnyday

Beau, I agree that we all have lots of information about swine flu but it is not being treated the same as any other flu. It is being treated with antivirals to protect the most vulnerable. These drugs need to be administered within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms and therefore it is important to inform people if there is an increased risk that their child has been exposed. Considering the hygiene practices of 4 and 5 year-olds that risk has to be high!

Not all people will seek or need treatment but this information could make a difference to those who do need it.

If the school can tell us to look out for head lice they can do the same with swine flu.

Ah, but my argument would be that given there is such large media coverage, anyone who comes down with flu like symptoms should assume they have swine flu and seek diagnosis from a GP. You could catch it from any source at any time and good hygiene should be observed at all times! You won't necessarily know when you have come into contact with someone who is infected. xD If everyone sits around waiting for some sort of official letter of notification, then surely this is more likely to cause increased risk as it will lead to many people not acting quickly when perhaps they should. :o

Have now received reply from EYAT - 'no need to inform Ofsted'

Just thought that might be useful.

Sunnyday

Crikey - cancel that ....just received another email from EYAT to say that having asked other colleagues her advice is now that I should inform Ofsted!!!

Sunnyday

sorry to high jack your thread but just wanted some quick advice. the last couple of days i have come down with a very bad sore throat, feel hot, headache and bones ache but no runny nose or sneezing...... my problem is i'm due to have an operation next week i don't know what to do, should i phone my GP or do i just have a virus...... does anyone have any advice, i really dont want to miss my operation date as its takes 6 weeks to recover so at the moment it works out just right for starting back in september.... oh dear!!!!!

Hi simcity - no need to apologise - that's not hi-jacking - and if it was I have no room to talk - I do it all the time!

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well - my advice - for what it's worth - contact your G.P. - don't want to worry you here, but my staff member who is now confirmed had symptoms very similar to yours - she had no sneezing or runny nose either.

Keep us updated.

Good luck

Sunnyday

sorry to high jack your thread but just wanted some quick advice. the last couple of days i have come down with a very bad sore throat, feel hot, headache and bones ache but no runny nose or sneezing...... my problem is i'm due to have an operation next week i don't know what to do, should i phone my GP or do i just have a virus...... does anyone have any advice, i really dont want to miss my operation date as its takes 6 weeks to recover so at the moment it works out just right for starting back in september.... oh dear!!!!!

take some advice from GP, the fact that you are due surgery doubly so, from experience they will usually ask on admission about any recent illness, and you will need to declare it as it may affect the treatment you receive.

I know timing is right but you need to think of your long term recovery and it would likely take longer if you were not fit enough for the surgery.

When I had surgery earlier this year they did all the checks on arrival ( I just turned up morning of the surgery) and asked lots of questions again which had been answered at my pre op check, I had residual cough from a cold and was checked to ensure I was fit enough. No delay for me but could have been, better to be fully fit than have other problems afterwards.

Inge

it may all come to nothing but it will set your mind at rest... and you will know you have done all you can ,

isn't the phrase.. 'better safe than sorry'

fingers crossed for you

Inge

At least if you are confirmed with it now you might get treatment and the op still go ahead, whereas it might not if left to run its course. I hope you are feeling better soon. :o

So.......I have had an apology from the 'cross father'! - I should think so too! xD

Isn't our job difficult at times! :(

My staff member is continuing to make a good recovery......she has finished her course of 'Tami-flu' - but still has a bit of a cough - HPA say that she can't come back into work until she is asymptomatic (not sure about that spelling!).....I had said that she should take the rest of the week off anyway. :( Good job we work 'over-ratio' - if you know what I mean.

We have been talking today (on the phone) about where she may have got it from........she thinks the most likely place is a local swimming pool......which led me to thinking......what a perfect 'breeding ground'......hot and wet.......wonder if the 'powers that be' have looked into that......hmmm, probably not.......think I might avoid it for a while, just in case! :o

Simcity - if you read this - how are you - what did your GP say?

Sunnyday

P.S. Just popped back to say...I do, of course realise that she could have 'got it' anywhere....but she hadn't been anywhere...not shopping or any meetings or pubs, restaurants etc.etc.

And ....when I said swimming pools - I didn't mean 'in the water', but rather out of the pool......

Edited by sunnyday

had a confirmed case at my childs school also - but no letter of confirmation!!!!! :o

I found out by accident that the brother of a child in my class who attends a local nursery has been diagnosed with swine flu and the nursery has closed down. Am rather cross that as a teacher I had to find out on the grapevine rather than being told and am worried about my sister who is 7 and a half months pregnant has already had some problems and has had to keep my niece away from her nursery because of the risk of catching chickenpox, slap check, scarlet fever, hand foot and mouth in the last couple of months.

Not sure what I should do - do I tell my sister (have been in contact with over over the past week) and what do I say to the head?

Had a really rotten day so far - this is almost the last straw!

I found out by accident that the brother of a child in my class who attends a local nursery has been diagnosed with swine flu and the nursery has closed down. Am rather cross that as a teacher I had to find out on the grapevine rather than being told and am worried about my sister who is 7 and a half months pregnant has already had some problems and has had to keep my niece away from her nursery because of the risk of catching chickenpox, slap check, scarlet fever, hand foot and mouth in the last couple of months.

Not sure what I should do - do I tell my sister (have been in contact with over over the past week) and what do I say to the head?

Had a really rotten day so far - this is almost the last straw!

I don't know if this will make you feel any better.......my satff member's husband and children have not caught it from her and they are all living in the same house! So......my point is that the link between your pupils brother/you and your sister is quite tenuous.

Please don't think that I don't understand your worry - of course I do - just trying to reassure you a little.

am worried about my sister who is 7 and a half months pregnant has already had some problems

I think this is why I feel so strongly. You might have avoided contact with her had you been better informed. I have one child with a compromised immune system and I might have kept the other one away from school for a while to protect her. I was not given that choice.

I am sure that the risk of you passing on swine flu to your sister is very small but I can see exactly why you are cross. What a shame you had to find out about it on the grapevine.

I think this is why I feel so strongly. You might have avoided contact with her had you been better informed. I have one child with a compromised immune system and I might have kept the other one away from school for a while to protect her. I was not given that choice.

I am sure that the risk of you passing on swine flu to your sister is very small but I can see exactly why you are cross. What a shame you had to find out about it on the grapevine.

I am in this very same problem! I have a child who has major immune supression difficulties - chickenpox can be fatal and nearly was!!! We have had an unconfirmed case of swine flu at my place of work, but is being treated with tamiflu.

I know I transfer my bugs on to my child what happens if?

Those of you who know me know how difficult this can is in my posistion!

What would you advise... me to do???

I think you need to go and talk to your GP. Take a written list of all your 'what ifs' and make sure you are very clear as to your best course of action before you leave the surgery.

Good luck.

Edited by AlisonP

We have has several confirmed cases, so will be interesting to see how many turn up. I know its not new and that rare any more but I thought it would have been in the new a little bit still.

I am in a playgroup and still very confused. Should we be worried or not. Like some of you say if they called it flu their would be no fuss. a parent informed me today that the doctor thinks she and her husband had swine flu but doctor would not test. I am trying to stay calm and not panic but it does make you think when it is on your doorstep. What should we be doing? this virus is still very new is it a problem?

please reassure me

buttercup

Hi Buttercup, i'm feeling pretty confused myself!

I had a parent phone me this afternoon informing me that her child was presenting flu like symptoms and after a visit to the docs he is now on Tami-flu.

This case is unconfirmed as the doctor says swabs are not being carried out now.

Not sure what to do with informing parents, don't want to scaremonger but certainly don't want to withold info!

Hi Lucy - I would contact HPA for advice -they were very helpful to me - provided 'official' letters and information for me to distribute to parents.......I would never have considered 'keeping parents in the dark' ...who knows what problems this could bring to them if they have someone in their family with serious health issues....if they know what's 'going on' they can make their own choices.

Sunnyday

well i have swine flu symptoms and a confirmed case at the setting, i telephoned my GP to be told they are no longer carrying out swab tests and only issueing tamiflu pills to young children, the elderly and people with underlying conditions like asthma etc and i was to treat it like any other flu.......symptoms should pass in a week....

well i have swine flu symptoms and a confirmed case at the setting, i telephoned my GP to be told they are no longer carrying out swab tests and only issueing tamiflu pills to young children, the elderly and people with underlying conditions like asthma etc and i was to treat it like any other flu.......symptoms should pass in a week....

Oh but what about your op. will you be OK for that?

Yes that's why I am cross - even though the risk is probably small I would never forgive myself if something happened even if the source could be unknown. It's the lack of communication which drives me mad too! Finally today the standard letter about swine flu went out to parents also denying a link to the case I now know about! Arrived in school this morning to find various containers of anti-bac gel and now a dispenser in my class without any instructions about when they should be used! Only one more week till I finish!