Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is It A Panic Attack?

I'm hyperventilating and just took my heart beat = 100 beats per minute. Been like this most of the day, and last night. Guess it's panic attack? Don't want to bother a doctor about it, anyone know any techniques to slow heart beat down? It's work stress that's caused it. My situation hasn't got any better and I've got a meeting about it on 14th July - such a long wait if I'm like this!

ppp

have you looked on the NHS direct website or phoned them up they may be able to help you. I always find that if you breath through your nose and out through your mouth this helps me. sorry I can not help any more than that. I hope you can get it sorted out x x x

Just the fact that you are asking means that you are panicing. STOP STAND STILL and take some big deep breaths. In through your mouth and out through your nose. concentrate on your breathing, stop worrying about taking your heart beat that won't be accurate anyway, as it is fairly difficult to get the count right.

If you are worrying about something look at what you can do change to make things better. If you can't do anything to change because it's out of your hands, then don't worry about it. concentrate on what you can change!!!!!

Don't start counting heartrates that will only make you worse. Deep breathing is the best things to calm you and then focus on what can be done, not what can't be done.

Lie down, or sit still if you can, quietly

Imagine you are holding your stress in an envelope tightly against your chest. Put both hands on it and hold it as tightly as you can and then very slowly lift each finger away, relaxing the joints as you go until your wrists are relaxed too and you can ease your hands away ever so slightly from your chest - just far enough to let the envelope drop. Let your elbows relax until your arms fall naturally either onto your lap or to the floor beside you. Take some lovely deep breaths and blow out through your mouth as if you are blowing bubbles.

Now hold your tongue in your mouth for as long as you can without letting it touch any part of your mouth. Then clench your jaw and relax it slowly and let your tongue and jaw relax.

Take some more deep breaths, breathe right into your tummy and keep your shoulders down, breathing out each time as if you were blowing bubbles with a 'wand' Watch the bubbles drifting away and see some pop and some just drift away. Imagine these are some of the issues bothering you at the moment, let them go.

Now imagine you are a big stone in the sea, lie very still and wait for a wave to come and wash you gently, listen to the sucking noise the pebbles underneath you make as the tide recedes again, and then slowly advances. As it recedes, imagine it taking away some things that are worrying you. Let them go. Take a deep breath of the sea air and feel it cleansing you.

Think about a time in your life when you were totally happy. Try to remember the little details, picture yourself in the scene and listen for the noises which were around you. Stay here for as long as you can, remembering why you felt so happy at that time. (If you want to, you can make an anchor to this place by pressing your thumb and forefinger together, and then when you want to go back again all you need to do is press your thumb and forefinger together to be transported back to your happy time.) Feel the pleasure and contentment washing over you like the waves on the beach.

Lastly, imagine you are holding a big balloon full of your worries. Feel how light they have become. Hold the balloon tightly by the knot and string and then very slowly start to relax your grip until it slips away, feel the string sliding through your fingers as it rises into the sky. Each time you breathe in and out it rises further into the evening sky, the deeper your breaths, the further it goes. Let your body totally relax, and at last let go of the string altogether.

Lie or sit quietly for a minute and then very slowly start to gather up the muscles you need to flex your fingers, gently wake each muscle group in turn until you finally open your eyes, take one more cleansing breath before getting up.

Hope this helps you

Wow, thank you Cait!! Feeling a little better now thanks.

Dr Cait to the rescue!

Hope you're feeling better P3 - might be worth a trip to the doctor anyway, especially if you get a recurrence!

Take care

Maz

I know exactly where you are coming from playplayplay I to have had the same thing this week after a very stressful time from a parent telling me they are taking their child out and will be making a formal complaint to Ofsted, my only offense is to care enough to suggest ways to help his son who has physically assulted one of my volunteers. I had exactly the same as you I just go any make myself busy and as hard as it is do not keep taking your pulse because as already suggested it makes you feel worse, just try not to think about things and take care

Salm

while your concentrating on deep breaths your mind is being distracted from the stress but if like many of us multi tasking is a a matter of course and deep breaths might not be enough alone, try to count backwards from 100 down to 1 the concentration of thinking what number next keeps your brain from thinking too much about other stuff that brought on the panic attack but be warned I was told this tip as a "get you to sleep tip" but its never worked but it does help to relax.

great techniques Cait, (also very useful for relaxation), you dont need to be having a panic attack to appreciate some much needed relaxation after a stressfull day.

Edited by Alison

Hi, hopefully you are over this now but just wanted to add that the suggestion of breathing into a paper bag is a great one. When you hyper ventilate it is just what it says - you are over breathing and taking in too much oxygen, which is making your heart beat faster. Breathing into a paper bag will increase the carbon dioxide levels in your blood and calm you down.

Have a restful weekend.

Hi, hopefully you are over this now but just wanted to add that the suggestion of breathing into a paper bag is a great one. When you hyper ventilate it is just what it says - you are over breathing and taking in too much oxygen, which is making your heart beat faster. Breathing into a paper bag will increase the carbon dioxide levels in your blood and calm you down.

Have a restful weekend.

Thanks for explaining the reasoning behind this SuzieC8, I seem to remember it was to breathe in carbon dioxide but wasn't confident I could explain why very well, but you have beautifully.