Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anybody Doing Diploma In Pre School Practice?

Hi, my name is Vicky and if you haven't already figured this is my first post. I have been reading the forum for some time but haven't managed to write anything myself yet, usually because I get so engrossed in what you guys have posted it is usually past my bedtime!

I have been working in a pre-school for about 18 months, they are desperate for staff to get qualified and so I have started doing a Diploma in pre-school practice course via distance learning and was wondering if there was anyone out there who wanted a study buddy. The support from the NEC isn't great and I could do with someone to talk to!

If anyone has done the course I wonder if you could offer me some advice, although my setting wants me to do the course ASAP I realy want to try and answer all the criteria as one day my grade may be important. I am having a little difficulty linking theorists to play activities, the question is:-

- explain how theoretical perspectives of child development support your suggestions for progressing the observed child's development.

My suggestions for progressing development included role play and tea parties as this is what the child is realy into and I was trying to link this to Piaget theories to do with symbolism ? I am on the right lines ?

I have e-mailed my tutor for advice and was told that there was information regarding theorists in the course folder - realy helpful!

Thanks

Vicky

Hi and welcome. It is a little quiet at the moment on here ( I feel anyway) due to being nearly end of term but I have done the DPP in the past so I will try to help. At least one member on here is currently doing her DPP so I'm sure she will be happy to give you some support too, but I will let her introduce herself.

This link http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/talktoyourbaby/play.html has some information on role play in child development, linked to the theory of mind, if that helps at all. If you have more questions about theory of mind I can ask my sister who did her BSc dissertation on it (!). And this one talks about Piaget http://www.teachingexpertise.com/articles/...telligence-1402

Sorry I can't do proper links! Hope that helps a little.

Seems I can do links!

Edited by Guest

Hi and welcome. It is a little quiet at the moment on here ( I feel anyway) due to being nearly end of term but I have done the DPP in the past so I will try to help. At least one member on here is currently doing her DPP so I'm sure she will be happy to give you some support too, but I will let her introduce herself.

That would be me then?!!! :(

Hi Vicky and welcome!

I am in the final stages of doing this course through NEC (completed it all just waiting for next deadline to hand in last assignment already written and then the loooong wait for the results). Like you my setting was desperate for qualified staff and i chose this route as opposed to nvq3. i have really enjoyed the course and found that the in depth theory really helped in the setting. I have however "worked my butt off" :o in the last few months xD . Holly was my "buddy" and gave me some great advice. It did however take me ages to get to grips with setting the assignments out. In fact worst mark was for this assignment you are doing (got C) but think this was down to lack of experience as went on to get B and then A :(:( .

First bit of advice is the word count. Assign the majority of words to those criteria that have the most marks (this may sound obvious to you but not me!) and have a go at all the criteria as you will pick up more marks this way. I used a report format which I found useful as was able to use bullet points to get a lot of info down. Had to cut out lots of waffle too to keep within the count.

My tutor was not forthcoming with advice either (hence I asked Holly) plus others on here for guidance. Not got my stuff at the mo but will get out and let you know what I did and comments back etc. Can recommend Penny Tassoni book DPP.

Will be back in touch soon.

Edited by marley

Hi back!

well I only scored 10/15 for this section (was struggling on the word count!). I included in my answer:

Theories and practice are connected.

How understanding theoris helps with planning etc

How practitioner shoud look at a range of theoris for explnations

What is a good theory. How should they be viewed. Was it infuenced in anyway.

Then I gave an example ( i used Bowlby - separation anxiety, setting in procedures, key person).

Tutor comments was that I shoud extend more to look at importance of interplay btween theory and practice.

Only thing was I had used all word count up so not possible!

Realised from this that I needed to use more words on sections A and B, then C and D and then be very brief on E sections. Very difficult to get down all I wanted to in the word count and I think for me this was the hardest thing for all the assignments.

Hope this helps! Best of luck.

Hi Marley,

Thanks for all that it has given be a boost and I am going to get on with it again. I am realy enjoying the course, but I can't believe how long it takes me to decide on formats, sort out my word count and organise the layout so things look OK. I think I have already gone OTT for the word count for the E sections, I seem to sit for ages with nothing to write and then waffle for England! How long has it taken you ? I realy want to try and have it done by December and was thinking of doing the external assignment and my optional unit over the summer holidays and saving core unit 2 for when we are back in September. But then I think save the external assignment until the last as I will have more experience of doing the assignments and therefore do better. So will you qualify in December then ? Its amazing how long it takes the results to come out. I wanted to be qualified in at most a year, but this means you only have 8 or 9 months to do the work.

Off to do some assignment work

Thanks again

Hi Vicky

I started this course dec 2008 and so I think I have done it in record time!! But then again I was spending all day saturday doing it for most weeks and sometimes more (so perhaps like going to college part time?). I got my first assignment to tutor for March deadline, got 2 in for June deadline and will get the external one in for sept deadline so hopefully will get result dec making it a year! Thing is I was always working well ahead of each deadline. Just carried on going at a steady pace and when it got close to the deadlines sent in any assignements I had completed.

I left the external one until last so that I had got the experience of layout etc but if you look at it differs in that each section is not awarded more marks than any other. So just split the word count into 10 and did approx same amount of word for each section. There is also no guidance for how to complete the questions. In fact have you read the guidance doc to help you out now? Will attach it so you can view (if Im allowed to do that?).

My option unit was the one to do with committees and boy have I got experience of that xD:( Hence this was the one I got an A for :( . Plus for my option there was no mini assignmnets it was straight to the CACHE one.Unit 2 is all about planning and I struggled with this only bcaues I have only ever worked with EYFS and my tutor was old school ie themes etc. I ended up doing a combination to please her and me. This was a difficult one for the word count as the plans are included in the count :o

My setting are desperate for me to be qualified as they keep having to pay for agency staff to cover sickness of deputy and supervisor (only 3 staff, they have no bank staff). Thing is if I had done an NVQ i might have been qualified by now? However, I have enjoyed this course and feel much more knowledgable for it. Just annoyed it takes so long before I can actually say I am qualfied!

Plas excuse th typing having problems with my eeeeee and sssss button :(

assignment_guidance.pdf

Wow - you must have some self discipline, and well done for getting it done so fast. Thanks for the assignment guidance, I have read it in the past but I think I should refer to it more often, I think it may help keep me focused. What did you think of NEC? would you study through them again? I thought a distance learning course would suit me better, job, hubby that works some evenings and 2 kids make going to college difficult but I am really unimpressed with the support from NEC. I have only realy known EYFS also so I shall see what that brings, I was suprised when I got my study materials in March that they hadn't been updated better.

No there are no EYFS updates are there! Plus Im not convinced my tutor knows about it either :oxD . For th planning unit I did actually skim read it as much was on the old stuff and i didnt want to get too confused. Wait and see what your tutor says. Mine actually sent me an example of her planning to look at (old style) so I did a bit based on what she had done ie chose themes (shock! horror!) but basically said it could change following the views/intrests of the children, that it was evaluated daily and therfore maybe altred at the last minute, added childrens choices.

There is very little support from NEC so I think you do have to be quite disciplined to do it. However, I was determind and to be honest got a lot of support from this forum as well as info etc.

My tutor also wantd me to do about 20 big obs befor handing this final assignemnt in and I was not to use any of the obs I had done for the mini assignment.

Keep going tho...you ar nearly at the end of the first one. i think this is the hardest as you try so hard to get it all right!

Apologies for typing again!

Ps you coud always do a search on my posts re DPP as some of your questions I may have alrady asked?

Edited by marley

Thanks Marley, I have been through your old posts and it has definately helped, hopefully I will have finished my first assignment today and it feels realy good.

Edited by vickymck

Hi Vicky

This is my first post too - only just found this forum, while doing research for the DPP.

I started this course in April, so am doing 1st assignment at mo (although it is Core Unit 3), the one marked by CACHE.

I am doing a 1 day a week course and the tutor is great and also having fellow students to bounce ideas off helps too!

Perhaps we can help each other along the way.

Hopefully speak soon

Lucy

Hi, my name is Vicky and if you haven't already figured this is my first post. I have been reading the forum for some time but haven't managed to write anything myself yet, usually because I get so engrossed in what you guys have posted it is usually past my bedtime!

I have been working in a pre-school for about 18 months, they are desperate for staff to get qualified and so I have started doing a Diploma in pre-school practice course via distance learning and was wondering if there was anyone out there who wanted a study buddy. The support from the NEC isn't great and I could do with someone to talk to!

If anyone has done the course I wonder if you could offer me some advice, although my setting wants me to do the course ASAP I realy want to try and answer all the criteria as one day my grade may be important. I am having a little difficulty linking theorists to play activities, the question is:-

- explain how theoretical perspectives of child development support your suggestions for progressing the observed child's development.

My suggestions for progressing development included role play and tea parties as this is what the child is realy into and I was trying to link this to Piaget theories to do with symbolism ? I am on the right lines ?

I have e-mailed my tutor for advice and was told that there was information regarding theorists in the course folder - realy helpful!

Thanks

Vicky

Oh my goodness at last!!!!!!!! Somewhere I can ask questions about the Diploma in Pre-School Practice and people will know what I'm going on about!!!

Hahahaha!! :o

Hi, I'm new and was sceptical about paying to subscribe to yet another site but this one seems to be worth every penny! :(

I am currently almost half way through the Level 3 Diploma in Pre-School practice. I am also a home based student with a 'less than helpful' tutor that lives miles away and only contacts me via email, if at all. I've completed all the course work for Core Unit 2 including the two NEC assignments and am now embarking on the dreaded CACHE assignment.

My question is this. For my build up assignments my tutor gave me excellent feedback (I love her for her marking but ask her a question and she generally ignores me!). She has also confirmed that I can use the curriculum plans I produced for the NEC2 in the CACHE assignment and has said to use the child profile from Core Unit 1 if possible. Do you think I could also use paragraphs (as in copy and paste them) from the build up assignments in the CACHE assignment?

I understand that some of the CACHE questions need me to elaborate more, and some are questions I've not directly answered in the two build up assignments, but certainly E1 and E2 are basically NEC1, and later on some of the questions are obviously based on NEC2. I keep re reading my build up assignments and trying to think of ways I could re-word things, but as my tutor was generous enough to have said both the assignments were 'excellent with all points covered in depth' I keep thinking to myself, why not use the same wording for the CACHE seeing as its the one that I get marked on?

I've emailled my tutor, but she can take her time to reply and I'd really like to try and get this CACHE out of the way before my children break up for the summer hols. I don't think I'll get any work done on the Diploma during August so, to try and keep up with my time plan, would love to try and get this CACHE out of the way by the end of the month so I can start Core Unit 3 in the Autumn term.

Thanks for reading, if there is anyone out there who is at a similar stage to me and would like a 'buddy' I'd really appreciate it. I agree with older posts saying that half the battle is trying to work out how to set things out, what they are actually asking with the questions, and trying not to waffle!

xD

love,

Tracy.

Just popped in to say.......Hi Vicky, Lucy and Tracy and welcome to the forum! xD

I did my DPP with NEC but that was 'many moons' ago - so I don't suppose I can help much :(

I didn't think the 'support' was all that good either - my tutor made the 'ground rules' very clear about when she would and wouldn't be available :o

Anyway ..... you three are lucky - you have found this fantastic forum - you will find lots of help and advice freely given here :(

Good luck with your studies

Sunnyday

I'm just saying hello too folks. :oxD

My DPP is 10 years old so I'm probably not much help either, but it seems marley is more than capable of helping you out so I'm off the hook luckily, because me and word counts dont go together. :(

Hello, thought I would just pop in to say that I finished my DPP a couple of months ago (done with PSLA, 1 day a week). Just awaiting marks for last 2 assignments.

I found that a good way that worked for me to ensure that each essay covered everything was to first jot down points that I thought the subject should cover (thinking about my own experiences and setting) then use DPP book (and any other sources) and then check with assignment guidance. By making a list of points from these 3 sources and then crossing them off as I wrote the essay up meant that I focused on the important bits using minimal words (heed Marleys advice re word counts). The assignment guidance is really important to bear in mind as this is what the markers use to judge grades (so my tutor told me).

My course took 4 terms, with one assignment each term to work through, so took approx 15 months to complete.

I am sure between us on fsf we can give you lots of virtual support!

Great to hear from more DPP students - I knew there had to be some somewhere.

I am happy to say cache core unit is done and in the post - yippee. :oxD

I have a mathematical formula now for my word count, so just thought I would post it for future students. Total word count for assignnments is 3500, 100 marks available. Therefore you should allow 35 words per mark. So for 'E' sections that are only worth 5 marks aim for 175 words max(35 x 5). 'A' sections are worth 15 marks so aim for 525 words (15 x 5). I have tried to save some words in case I want to add anything depending on what my tutor says, but to ne honest I think I just what to get on with next assignment

Tracy - I have useed a lot of my wording from my build up assignment in my core assignment for unit1 - As you have had such great feedback it seems a shame not to use it. Saying that I haven't had my feedback yet, but in theory you don't have to the build up assignments, they aren't compulsory so your words would have gone straight into the cache assignemnt. Hope that makes sense. If it was me I would send it, you always get the resubmission if they are not OK with it, and if you can use the child profile and planning I don't see the difference myself. I am doing core unit 2 over summer so by Autumn tern I will be on core unit 3 - hopefully.

Lucy - Hi and welcome, hope you are enjoying the course, Is there any reason why you are doing unit 3 first ? I couldn't decide which to do next. but as planning is a bit sparse in my setting at the moment I thought it might be good for me to have it done by autumn

What optional units are you both doing?

Thanks to the rest of you for a warm welcome, fingers crossed for you Jenimouse, good advice about the assignment guidance and DPP book.

Hi Vicky,

I'm doing the Option Unit 2, 'Working with chidren with disabilities and special educational needs and their families.'

I went for that option as I've worked with autistic children before so though it could be useful.

What did you go for?

Let me know if you get stuck on any bits of Core Unit 2. You never know, I might be able to help. You may well catch me up if you're planning to get it done over the summer as I'm planning on STOPPING over the summer!!! Starting Core Unit 3 (presuming I can do this Cache assignment) in September.

love,

Tracy :o

Edited by Flo1972

Hi and thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

I am doing a 1 day a week college course with a brill tutor who has been teaching this course for years and she always starts off doing Unit 3. She says it's because she can give us more guidance on this one as she doesn't mark it so then when we come to do the other Units we will have got back into the 'swing' of writing assignments so should find it a little easier to write up. Well we'll see lol!

Have just completed 1st term so the Unit 3 assignment has to be in when we start back in September - was trying to get it all done before kids break up but don't think will manage that now - have only wrote 3 of the 10 paragraphs so far.

Will be good to encourage each other along

Lucy

Hmmm, I know what you mean Vicky.

How old are your children? I have two boys and they are 9 and 12. If I try and sit on the computer for ages there will be an all out riot - my eldest has a laptop but the 9 year old wants to spend his entire life on Habbo so will stand behind me when I'm using the pc looking sorry for himself until I give in for the sake of my own sanity!!!

Kids. xD

If you manage to do the optional unit AND Core unit 2 over the holidays I will personally shake your hand!

:o

Hi Tracy & Vicky

This is my first Unit so don't really have anything to compare it to - guess most of it is just the theory of what you probably put into practice in your setting already. - Anti discrimination, policies and procedures, risk assessments etc. Not really difficult to understand - lots of common sense really but seem to be spending a lot of time reading and researching on net before I put it onto paper lol.

Was hoping to have it almost finished before kids break up but don't think I'm going to manage it. I have to hand it to tutor at beginning September for her to go through, then hopefully I can just touch it up a little before it goes off to CACHE.

I have 3 kids - 2 lads (15 & 9) and my little girl is 6 so don't really get chance when they off school to do any college work - it's just too noisy to concentrate lol.

Lucy

I think I might be a bit overconfident, I keep thinking that unit 2 won't be as bad as unit 1 - got myself in a bit of a state over theorists, and thought that the next unit looks more straight forward as its stuff we do on a daily basis anyway. On the first unit I think I must have read nearly every book on the recomended reading list and that felt like it was a bit of a waste of time cos what I put into the assignemnt mainly came from the course material and the DPP book by Penny Tassoni which I think is great and definately worth investing in. My setting bought 2 of the PLA publications but it took that long for the 'New child in focus' to come that I had almost finished the assignment anyway

So I am not planning on buying any more books, If we haven't got them at the setting or at PLA then tough

Lucy - when you do unit 1 there is one more book worth reading and its not on the list that I got called - 'How to observe children' by Sheila Ridall Leach, it has just been republished this year so is up to date with some nice EYFS bits in the end and is good for references.

'Child development - an illustrated guide' by meggit & sunderland is also good for linking your obs to milestones. I almost bought the recommended book by Helen Bee - but the price put me right off (over £40) and unless you are really into development or plan to carry on studying the subject I would give this one a miss. I managed to get an old onr from my library and found it a bit heavy going.

Tracy - Did you bother buying the PLA books recomended for core unit 2? When do you hope to finish the course? I am aimimng for having everything done for Christmas!!!! :o

I'm not worrying too much about when I finish it to be honest but I'm certainly giving myself the full two years at least! I'm only working as Bank Staff at the mo so its not under any pressures or time restraints to pass it quickly - just the fact that I'm studying towards the Level 3 seems to be enough for them!

As far as the publications are concerned I gave up trying! They are all so costly and only ever seem to give snippets of information that are of any real use. The 2 books I've used the most so far have been Child Development, An illustrated Guide, by Caroline Meggitt, and the Penny Tassoni Diploma in Pre-School Practice Guide. I'm considering getting hold of The New Child in Focus for quotes for the Cache assignments but other than that I've just searched the net and found different websites I've used for additional information and quotes. I don't really have time for too much extra reading!

Core Unit 2 isn't too bad. I found the first NEC assignment really easy - the second NOT so easy but only because, again, it was a struggle to understand exactly what the tutor was looking for, and how to set it all out. I muddled through and sorted it out in the end tho. You will also find, like I did, that the questions in that assignment seem to contradict the EYFS...the simple fact that the first question is to 'draw up a 2 week curriculum plan for a setting' is in direct conflict with the EYFS really! I guess it depends on what the setting you work in do.

Hi again everyone,

Was wondering if you are able to help me at all. I'm having a go at the CACHE assignment for Core Unit 2 (DPP level 3) and I'm after some references to use under the topic... 'current research and theories related to supporting individual learning needs'. I'm not sure that the theorists I learnt about in Core Unit 1 would be totally relevant but I'm wondering if some of the literature in 'A Child in Focus' may have been useful for this. I couldn't get hold of a copy as it was out of print, with 'The New Child In Focus' coming out fairly recently. Didn't really see the point in buying it now seeing as I've almost finished this Core Unit.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys...so so SO glad I found this forum!!! :o

Edited by Flo1972

I recently received the new child in focus I haven't realy looked at it yet, but once I have got the little critters off to bed I will see if there is anything relevant. Also have a look in the articles section of this forum as you may find somethings there.

Sorry, still not got around to reading that book, but it is on my 'to do' list, you might get nore help if you started a new thread :o

Not to worry Vicky, I managed to borrow the book for a friend. Didn't realise she had it!

Thanks anyway... (one less thing on your 'to do' list)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)