Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Applying For A Job

Hello you clever people

I was wondering if any of you could give me some pointers please. I am thinking of applying for a part time job to complement my current role but it is quite a big job - a part time lecturer on FD at a local college but provided by a university. Small problem is that I really am stuck on how much to put on the application form in different boxes, who I should put as referee, etc! I got my current job when I already knew people there, your classic parent helper to worker at a playgroup scenario.

Under "Current role and duties" for example, how much detail to go into? I have pages at the end to write a supporting statement by the way. Also one referee is obviously my current manager, but the other is a puzzle. I didn't work before this job since I finished a temp job light years ago after uni. I was pregnant by the time I graduated and prior to that I did some really great jobs but no one who knew me there is still there. Also they were really part time holiday jobs, not real jobs if you know what I mean!

My big snag is lack of qualification in teaching adults, but I am very happy to do this if I got the job. And it only says "preferable". Also it does say they are looking for support staff from the profession too, so thinking I might go for that if they say no chance to the other! I know a suitable previous qualification locally was the 7307. Does anyone know what has replaced that or would be suitable? Am also thinking I might be willing to start an MA in the future.....

Thank you :o

Hi Holly, I'm also rubbish at this sort of thing but heres my two penn'th worth..

Firstly, does the referee have to be a previous or current employer?

Is there a space on the form for you to state what you've been doing since school? That should show you've been working, learning and being a parent.

On the roles and duties I'd state factually what your role is i.e deputy, supporting manager, leading staff, liasing with other professionals, keyworker etc. Then use the supporting statement to go into more depth, exactly what you do to support the manager etc.

The qualification for tutoring adults changed a couple of years ago. It depends what your role would be. I did the 7302 which was the introduction to tutoring adults, but it allows me to tutor family learning programes and courses not more then 12 weeks.

If they say preferable then go for it. You never know till you try.

Good luck :o

Thanks Rea. I don't think I'll get it but as they are also looking for support for students I thought I might get that part and if not at least I'll know how to fill in an application form! Will be using current employer as referee but they ask for two which is what gets me. I'm asking my manager rather than "employer" as I'm employed by a committee and the chair is my other half (long story!). I did consider a personal reference from a colleague on the EYPS pathway with me. At least I have a few weeks til the closing date!

The best way is to go through the job spec. and say how you can meet the criteria. Yes I believe 7307 has been overtaken now with a new one but is still honoured in the was that past NNEBs are still current (if you know what I mean)

Have you a Chair of parents comm? or a good friend who is a professional such as teacher, doctor, solicitor for your referee?

In your current role have you been leading adults - other staff? Have you helped anyone through an NVQ? it's all 'ammunition' and you should use anything you can. A friend of mine got a job as a Practice Manager in a busy doctor's surgery with absolutely no qualifications at all - because she could 'talk the talk' and said that as a housewife she's been managing a home and finances and juggling appointments etc for years!

Thanks for some more ideas there. Have thought I could ask one of the tutors from EYPS course for a reference too. Unfortunately there is no job spec (?) so I am planning to call for an informal chat and take it from there.

Small problem is that I really am stuck on how much to put on the application form in different boxes, who I should put as referee, etc! I got my current job when I already knew people there, your classic parent helper to worker at a playgroup scenario.

/quote]

I have just recently applied for a job and have the same problem as you. The employer only wants details from the past 10 years. Well I have been in this current job for 12 yrs xD so can only offer one referee which will be by business partner. Therefore in the space for the second person I have filled it in with a friends details. In the 'job title' part I have put 'Friend' I thought that she would be able to be a character witness for me. If I get an interview I will explain this to them.

That's another thing the last interview I had was 18 years ago :o:(:(

Like you I have a lot of duties in the pre-school (as a joint owner and leader), I therefore read what the criteria for the job was and listed all the duties that corresponded with that. In the additional information part I added a few more.

Here's hoping we get the jobs!!!!