Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Has Early Years Given You Piles!

sunnyday

Goodness that's something I ask myself on a regular basis. I know that Insurance certificates are for 40 years!!!

Other stuff I generally keep till I can stand it no longer, 5 years is usually the limit. Stuff which is of no use to anyone gets burnt or shredded as soon as possible. That's usually any notes about children which weren't useful as obs or anything else, or was a duplication of something already noted. We've never had any, but child protection/safeguarding notes would have to be kept longer I would have thought

Hi Possum

Thanks for your reply....... I have folders containing Registration forms that go back years - somewhere along the line I thought I had been told 30 years for that sort of thing .....now I'm thinking that is ridiculous - we will have to build an extension!!!

actually that seems worryingly familiar. Old registration forms I scan into the computer and they are on disk. So I hope no-one ever wants the real thing! In the 'olden days' the registration forms didn't contain the breadth of info they do now, so wouldn't tell anyone much. Get a scanner and get busy over the summer! (SEF avoidance perhaps?)

This has been discussed before although whether any definitive answers were given I dont remember. Try a search and see what you come with up!

Thank you - will do .... also need to stop putting off sorting out the piles :o

I found this on another forum

The issue of keeping records has always been a little confused.

I am a childcare policy consultant and have found that the time scale for keeping records really depends on the type of record concerned.

The staggering figure of 21 years and 3 months was mentioned in the Guidance to the National Standards and referred to judgements made by the European Court of Human Rights which suggested records might need to be kept for that long. However the guidance did go on to state that “As a minimum records should be kept until after the next inspection”. Unfortunately there was no mention of the circumstances of the cases which lead to this “suggestion” but it is unlikely that everything would need to kept for that long.

It was in that same Guidance to the National Standards where it also stated that records of complaints had to be kept for 10 years. This is the source of the information made by the Ofsted Inspector.

From 1st September, Childcare settings will be subject to the new regulations as set out in the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage. Interestingly this makes no mention of the 21 year timescale.

Also the timescale for keeping records of complaints has reduced from 10 to 3 years. Or has it? The document recently published by Ofsted “Are you ready for your inspection? A guide to inspections of provision on Ofsted’s Childcare and Early Years Registers” which has been written to meet the new EYFS inspection regime, actually states that records of complaints must be kept for 2 years. This confusion is not helpful and I have raised this question with Ofsted. It seems no one else has spotted this as my query was referred to the Children’s Directorate on 12th August and I am still awaiting their reply.

On page 40 of the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage it states “Records relating to individual children should be retained for a reasonable period of time (for example three years) after the children have left the provision”. This seems specific, although there is that little word “reasonable”.

You should be aware that the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage states quite clearly that it does “not supersede or replace any other legislation which providers must still meet”.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) advise that any records of any reportable accident (which are more serious than the usual first aid issues dealt with in a childcare setting) must be kept for 3 years from the date on which the event occurred. It is therefore sensible to assume that any more minor accident would not generally need to be kept longer than that.

Your business accounts are subject to the rules of HM Revenue and Customs and generally accounts should be kept for 7 years. You can check with HMRC or your accountant if there are circumstances that might suggest your records should be kept for longer.

My advice would be that, unless other legislation or statutory requirements dictate otherwise, it would make sense for all settings to keep all records for 3 years or at least until after the next Ofsted inspection, whichever is longer. That way you can be sure that you can respond to requests for information from your inspector. If you find that you have problems storing all the paper, you can keep some of it off-site but remember to get written approval from Ofsted before you do so.

Our O Inspector knows it's kept here as it's been mentioned several times, but I don't think I have sought 'permission'

Right ...yes same thing I suppose....couldn't possibly keep that much stuff at my setting.....think I need to have a HUGE sort out and then a HUGE bonfire.....my little shredder couldn't cope with it all :o

Hi Sunnyday, I told my children that I would leave all the records to them in my will - just in case - they were not amused!!

My oldest son ....surveying the room I laughing call an office....for office - read - dumping ground...once said "Mother do you have to keep all this c*** :o

Victorian Schools in London I have worked in often had the registration book (with a labyrinthine double entry book keeping system) going back for decades! Such lovely copperplate handwriting too.

CX

How wonderful - don't think mine compare :o

What a really useful document, thank you teahead. With regards to children's SEN files do you copy them before sending them onto school with the child, or do you take it for granted that the school will keep them for 25 years? I always send my SEN files to school without keeping copies and am now worried. mrsW.

What a really useful document, thank you teahead. With regards to children's SEN files do you copy them before sending them onto school with the child, or do you take it for granted that the school will keep them for 25 years? I always send my SEN files to school without keeping copies and am now worried. mrsW.

I thought that too! All ours go to school, I haven't kept anything SEN, unless it's on the computer in which case it will be on that year's disk