Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Letters

We have the feeling that we're a bit weak in the area of introducing letters and sounds to the older children who are about to go off into reception.

Could I ask what other settings do on this - what kind of approaches and activities do you use? My leader is I think a bit unsure about this area and would appreciate lots of ideas.

I'm going down there this morning to suggest we do some mark making with chalks in our newly free flowing outside area, and perhaps draw S shaped roads for the ride on toys to go along. Is this the sort of thing others do and what else could we try?

Hi Sunnyday and thanks for that. My leader showed me it today but I'm not sure I can bear to get another document from the DCSF. I have visions of the vast amounts of money they are pouring into all this and wonder whether it wouldn't be better spent on giving more money to early years practitioners. Oh well, I suspect I will put in an order despite my best intentions of ignoring the dcfs.

I have to say that I have found the letters and sounds book very useful and that is what Marion and Green Hippo have used. I agree that all the documents that are around are a pain but this one is worth having if only for the DVD that comes with it-there are some lovely ideas!

Linda

Hi Suzie.

Most LAs were given copies of Phase one of letters and sounds to distribute to settings. It may be worth having a mooch around to see if there is one lurking somewhere.

letters and sounds phase 1 is excellent full of ideas

we use it all the time

i think it should be compulsary like the eyfs :o

Hi Suzie.

Most LAs were given copies of Phase one of letters and sounds to distribute to settings. It may be worth having a mooch around to see if there is one lurking somewhere.

We definitely weren't given one. I had to order ours myself

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)