Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tyre Trauma!

I was having one of those days - you know - when you stare at the outside area and wonder what you could do to make it more interesting, more vibrant, more fun - without spending any money. I know - i thought - I will call the local breakers and see if they have any tyres, my lot love climbing. No problem they said, we will deliver them for free - their next question is one that perhaps in hindsight I should have considered more carefully however when they asked me what size I wanted I simply relplied - 'nothing too big - just a couple of small ones' - little did I know that their idea of big was not my idea of big - I returned from lunch yesterday to find 2 tractor tyres (the back ones - not the small front ones I was hoping for, 4 tyres from a JCB and 2 from a juganaut!!!!!

My question to you all is... does anyone need any tyres - you will need a van to collect them!! I have managed to convert one into a mini garden and one into a ball pit however the tractor tyres are so big I am seriously considering turning one of them into a hot tub - you could easily fit 8 in there.

We are a very small village school in Kent - if you want one - just drop me a line!

Nicky

Are they taking up to much space? I grew up on a farm and we used to run around the the tyres and have no end of fun with them, have you let the chidlren explore them? They are a bit messy though and you often get a nasty surprise when it's been raining!! I used to love going to the tyre pit, my mum wasn't always keen when I got home! :o

I've got a JCB tyre in my garden! Hubby lined it with heavy duty plastic and made a cover from the same stuff.

It makes an excellent sand pit. It's waist high for the under 3 year olds, has no metal or sharp edges and the older ones sit or build on the rim around it.

However, it did take 160KG of play sand to fill it half full :o

Nona

Oh yes - my son's sandpit was a tractor tyre filled with sand ........ I still have it! When they outgrew a sandpit I filled it with compost - planted ivy round the edges (to disguise what it is) and then various 'shrubby' things in the middle! I think it looks quite cool! :o

Anyway ...... sorry, no we can't use any tyres!!!

Sunnyday

We have two large tractor tyres in our outside space, they come in very useful and the children just love them. They are used for all sorts of things at the moment mainly somewhere to sit and have a nice cup of water and a chat with friends. They also like 'painting' them with water after they have chalked all over them. They are a den where the children take all the small world toys, and they get very excited if any rain water has collected in the rim which apparantly the dinosaus love.

ooh lucky you I'd love to take them off you but sadly I am near Wales so bit of a trek considering I have a tractor next door I suppose could nab old ones off but has given me some food for thought so thanks! Hope you find a loving home soon

I was having one of those days - you know - when you stare at the outside area and wonder what you could do to make it more interesting, more vibrant, more fun - without spending any money. I know - i thought - I will call the local breakers and see if they have any tyres, my lot love climbing. No problem they said, we will deliver them for free - their next question is one that perhaps in hindsight I should have considered more carefully however when they asked me what size I wanted I simply relplied - 'nothing too big - just a couple of small ones' - little did I know that their idea of big was not my idea of big - I returned from lunch yesterday to find 2 tractor tyres (the back ones - not the small front ones I was hoping for, 4 tyres from a JCB and 2 from a juganaut!!!!!

My question to you all is... does anyone need any tyres - you will need a van to collect them!! I have managed to convert one into a mini garden and one into a ball pit however the tractor tyres are so big I am seriously considering turning one of them into a hot tub - you could easily fit 8 in there.

We are a very small village school in Kent - if you want one - just drop me a line!

Nicky

hmmmmm... whereabouts in Kent?

thank you for your comments but I must admit the kids are having an amazing time in them- in fact they havent't stoped using them although I was a little shocked yesteday when together they managed to stack them one on the other!! Think I will turn one into a snad pit - the other we have made into a ball pit one we will grow stuff in and as for the others they can just have fun- wish I would have had them when I was a kid!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)