Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fathers Day

alechunter

Has anyone got any good ideas or websites for a quick and easy card to make for Fathers Day.?

Also I just wondered what is other settings opinion was on making Fathers Day Cards?

Every year we seem to have the same discussion about what to put on the front. e.g. do you put To Dad or To Someone Special? I know its all about knowing your children and their family situations, but it does get difficult when some children need to make two because they see both their dad and step-dad, but other children are only allowed to make one.

Just wondered what everyone else does. Thanks for any comments.

but it does get difficult when some children need to make two because they see both their dad and step-dad, but other children are only allowed to make one.

Have to ask why?!

Where does such an approach fit in with enabling environments/unique child/positive relationships ethos? How must the child feel at onoly being able to make one card!? Please try to change the way it's done, good luck! Jenni

Not sure what your setting is but couldn't you scribe a message of their own choice for each child and allow them to make as many as they feel they need to?

It is a special message from the child rather than the setting and I think if a child wanted to make one for the whole family I would be fine with that. Obviously within the time and resources available.

Mine are making Fathers Day cards -

My theory is that they all made Mothers Day Cards so by not making Fathers Day cards we are actually excluding half of the parents!!!!

One of the boys in my class - his Mum died at January '08, so he made a card for his 'Nanny'.

I have one girl in my class who does not see her dad, but all the rest either have dads/ step-dads so they will all make a 'daddy' card and the one girl will make a 'grandad' card.

Does that seem Ok?

I think I have quite an opinion on not segregating dads!!!!!

Sam x

We talk one to one with the children as they make their cards, we obviouslyknow the family situation, we dont broadcast to all the other children who is making what for whom, never had any problems. We simply say to those we know do not see dad, or have ever known a dad, would you like to make a special card for mummy, or grandad, or uncle.... Inside we just lots of love from ......... The children collage the outside of the cards with whatever resources they want to.

I came across a lovely poem the other day which was printed in the centre of some a4 paper whcih the children decorated a border round and put foot prints name and date on very very simple but wa so lovely and effective. obviously the poem could be changed to say grandad etc any role model really including names if required.

Walk a little slower, Daddy”,

Said a little child so small.

I am following in your footsteps,

And I don’t want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast,

Sometimes they’re hard to see;

So walk a little slower, Daddy,

For you are leading me.

Someday when I’m all grown up,

You’re what I want to be;

Then I will have a little child

Who’ll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right,

And know that I was true;

So, walk a little slower, Daddy,

For I must follow you.”

Edited by belle06

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)