Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsteded Lately?!?!?!?!?!

I am based in a FSU within a Primary School - expecting OfSted before the end of the Summer Term - boooo hisssss!

So desperately trying to get things in order so i don't panic quite so much when we get the phone call!

Has anyone else in a Primary School been ofsteded lately?

Did you need you need to complete an early Years SEF?

What questions did they ask?

How long did they stay for?

What data did they ask to see?

Any other snippets of information that will make the whole experience more pleasant?!?!?!/1

Thanks

H xoxoxo

We had one not long ago, they were very hot on attainment on entry, how we can show and prove progress throughout whole of foundation stage, how we analyse the results.

Hope that helps!

Guest mukerjee1

Ofsted in the last two months, hot on attainment data the same as Mrs.L. Also a great many questions about how 'Safeguarding' children, outside provision and risk assessment.

Yes, schools still get a phone call - not just about early years so inspected under schools inspection framework as part of a section 5 inspection.

These are hot issues in our LA:

On entry attainment and progress through EYFS to EYFSP outcomes.

Links with parents and carers,

Balance of provision,

inside and outside. Several of our schools criticised for having no outdoor covered area,

Induction/transitions and pastoral care.

Statutory requirements especially safeguarding.

SEF is part of the schools whole SF so your EYFS part should be within that. See the schools inspection guidance

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms...asked-questions

Cx

earlyYearsFoundationStage__Guidance_Apr09.doc

We had one not long ago, they were very hot on attainment on entry, how we can show and prove progress throughout whole of foundation stage, how we analyse the results.

Hope that helps!

Had ours in March and this was the same for us.

They spent all morning in Foundation, reception -nursery- reception and then back again to nursery. Also had a meeting with the inspector (myself and FS Co-ordinator), where we took proof of our observations and assessments.

When he came into nursery we talked about what the children were doing. how we were planning from the children's interests - showed proof by handing him a learning journey booklet! Talked him through how our ambulance had been developed - how we went out to look at staff cars etc. Showed him the photos in case he needed proof!

We were very honest and said there was plenty of stuff we still wanted to do but that we were taking on board new initiatives - this is the first time we have done Learning Journeys.

hope this helps

Cath

There are still a lot of differences between how schools and other settings are inspected. We (a nursery school) were inspected in March (with 2 days notice) and the day before an inspector turned up to inspect the daycare provision (unannounced). However their inspection lasted for the afternoon and was a lot more about welfare requirements and 'care'. We had a school inspector and it lasted for two days and we were grilled about data, progress, assessment, planning, child protection and community cohesion etc. He also checked that the welfare routines were in place and he checked the policies in certain areas. It was certainly more intense.

I have this issue when we get advisors in because it is difficult when different inspectors have different agendas.

Sue

Excuse me for sounding ignorant but why do schools get 'the phone call' and settings don't?

ppp

As Catma and susie65 have said school inspections are section 5 inspections, and involve the whole school, of which the EYFS is just a part. They usually come for two days and test the SEF which is a very very long document, and again EY's is just part of that. Care inspections are done separately and without notice. Then if it is a Church school there will be the Statutory Inspection of Church Schools which lasts one day, and is usually soon after the Section 5. They have tried on the spot inspections of schools. I think they can be a bit problematic as they may wish to see a particular lesson in a particular class which can have organisational problems if it isn't on the timetable for that day, or that member of staff is out that day, or the HT is somewhere else. An awful lot of time is spent on statistics, admin, etc. and grilling senior staff. The inspectors need timetables in advance to plan their own days when in the school, to minimise interrupting the usual running of the school day, and to make sure they can cover everything they need to. Remember some of the schools can be 3 form entry from 3 to 11.

Thanks for that explanation Jacquie, I have to say that not having worked in a school I am largely ignorant of what is involved in their inspections.

That's what I love about this forum, it brings people together from a variety of settings and really helps us to understand the trials and problems that different settings have to face. Now instead of beating my chest and saying 'It's not fair!!' I understand that we all have differing problems and hoops to jump through. I for one am very sympathetic to teachers, and although not able to often offer concrete advice would always hope to be supportive! :o

we've just had our inspection - school nursery and reception but also governor run day care for 2-4year olds. day care was done in with school inspection - very different to our last inspection which was a separate no notice inspection for the day care. inspector spent day in early years - observed each group in morning, interviewed me for hour and half! - her main focus was attainment, how we track progress through from our 2 year olds to end of reception. Then also checked stuff she needed to for the welfare standards, although i was surprised about some of the things she didn't check that thoroughly.

Much of what they check is inclusive in their whole school remit as shown in their documentation. Don't forget EYFS in schools generally have their welfare policies as part of the whole school policy frameworks - they cover all the 3 - 11 range. IF they know it is in place the don't need to check. Much of an Ofsted in school is to ensure the HT/SMT know their school well and have the capacity to improve.

CX

im in a fs unit in a childrens centre attached to a school, our ofsted that just happened over last 2 days said that we do need our own SEF even if included in school one. also said we need our own policies that reflect our welfare requeirments as these are very different from school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)