Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Was Everyone's Day?

Cait

Well we had a great day. Having looked at that fantastic powerpoint about the children's bear hunt, we decided that we'd do something similar. So first we decided to go and look for some swishy-swashy grass so we could see what it felt like. We found some and children noticed that not all the seed heads were the same. So we picked lots of different types of grass to take back and look at. We found different colours - one child delighted because her grass was pink! Children used the digital camera to take pictures of the different sorts of grasses too.

We didn't find any spectacularly tall grass until we crossed the road into the churchyard, where there were blades of grass taller than the children! (We also found that the hawthorn blossom was shedding gently in the breeze and put a 'couple' of children [who currently LURVE each other] underneath to sprinkle the confetti on them.)

We picked a load of the long grass and then armed with our sheaves of grasses we went back to our room. We sorted it into types and then sorted it by length. I took pictures of the children lying down next to the tallest ones.

Then children put papers over the top and did some lovely rubbings of the different types of grass - and this afternoon we started making a display.

Tomorrow they plan to stick the grass to some card for their files - hmm. Well, we'll give it a go!

(Is it any wonder I have tickly eyes tonight after all that swishy swashing!)

Oh Cait - that sounds just lovely!

We have been 'doing' snake things today - made some great 'spiral, springy snakes', have made sounds like snakes, have moved like snakes, have learned some great new 'snake' words, have looked at snakes in books.

A slithery good day!

Busy Day for me!.

Started off at Homebase to get a hanging basket, hook, slug pellets and a bag of compost!.

Went to our setting in Farnborough and put up said hook and basket. While there I collected the cheques and threw the compost a my manager (not really!). Went to the bank and also the coffee shop for a large Latte'!!!

Went to our other nursery in Pirbright for a meeting, up dated accounts, dressed up our new outside covered decking with spinners, designed new signage for our nursery in Farnborough, wrote to OFSTED about changing age range of Farnborough. Went to Sainsbury's to get some ribbon for said decking.

Took design to the sign man, now awaiting a quote. Back to Farnborough to varnish the step, organise a menu tea change, varnished the step and contemplated life in general.

Breathed and sighed.

What a busy day!

I have had a terrible day. Two new Reception children started today all the way from Bazra. No English and very upset and frightened!

They were both trying to escape all day and slapping and hitting me and my assistant!!

Felt like crying about lunch time, all other children in class looked stunned and kept trying to tell the children the rules. Bless them.

Oh well another day tomorrow.

Had to nip out class a few time to breath!!

Any advice?

I just obviously let them explore the room and probably will for the next couple of weeks.

Its just so mentally draining and its difficult trying to deal with it this late in the term. Poor little mites, cant even begin to imagine what they have seen / experienced!

A few years ago, I had a little Bengali boy, his mother spoke English, she had been brought up here and gone to school here, her parents did not speak very much English, and she had not taught her son any English! Consequently, we went through quite a traumatic time with him, plenty of tears, but by day 3 we found that he really liked using scissors - and as soon as he came in to pre-school we made sure there were scissors and a pile of old catalogues etc. for him to cut, it was such a simple thing really, but it made all the difference, he was happy cutting and as he had started out fairly calmly he was much better then throughout the session.

Apart from all that you must be are doing, might it be possible to find some unique quirky thing that will fascinate them?