Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Covering Areas Of Learning Each Week

This is such a simple question but we are confused how we should be covering!

How do you cover specific areas of learning each week/term or dont you?

Do you do this as a whole setting or just by individual childrens needs?

We used to pick certain ones each term and then cover them each week with a theme now we are not doing themes should we covering by adding resources into our continious provision, ie compare bears in maths area to cover PSRN-sorting and grouping?

Or dont we need to pick any at all?

We have continious provision sheets in all areas and understand that if they are resourced effectively the children can learn on their own. But we dont seem to be able to tie this all up together!

We have 3 staff each morning one in each room and one in the grden so they dont get time to play in individual workshop areas, mainly our learning gets done in group time or is this enough?

We have workshop areas/zones set up which are resourced with equipment that the children can access at any time, should we plan to add something different to these areas every day or week or???

Im confused and its only monday morning!!!! You can tell cant you!

sharon

Sharon, I don't think it's a simple question at all, actually. I think it's one of the real confusions about the EYFS and I will be really interested to hear what others say.

I think you are making it harder than it needs to be. If, as you say, your continuous provision is well resourced and children can access it freely and you have plenty of adults about, children should be accessing all six areas of learning quite effectively across a day or a week.

Take for instance a brio train set, ok? Lets say Oliver will only play with this at the moment, that's what he makes a beeline for every day. An adult can ask to play with him for a while, if that's ok? (PSE sharing and dispositions and attitudes etc) You chat about what you are doing, making predictions and asking for pieces of track (CCL language for a purpose, talk to gain attention etc) you may chat about the shapes you've made, circles, figures of eight, straight, curves etc (PSRN talk about shapes, CD making enclosures - possibly sun-like shapes if you have the turntable!) you may chat about whether he's been on a train (KUW Time and place) and lastly PD - well he's using his body in a controlled manner, he's making some fine and probably gross motor movements too.

See what I mean? You could then suggest - maybe not 'today' that he could draw his track and take a photo which he could print out to stick on his drawing to take home to show Mum and Dad (CD & KUW) He may like to draw a track on the computer (KUW & PD). There may be a song you can sing (CD) (ours like 'down at the station) You could count how many curved and straight pieces you needed, or how many more you need to buy! (that's usually the case for us!)

and so it goes on like a little 'time line of learning'

Do you see what I mean - don't make it too complicated for yourself!

I hope this is right 'cos that's the way we're doing it!!! :o

Edited by Cait

Thanks Cait. You're a star.

You've given me an idea for staff meeting on Wednesday eve. For once I haven't got something pressing, so will get staff to think what children can be learning through playing with train track and some of the other 'old favourites'. I could link it into those charts of continuous provision .....

Gruffalo2 xD:o:(

We still have short term planning, where we select areas within the EYFS that we need to cover to ensure we are offering a balanced curriculum, the staff like the short term planning because it gives a focus to their observations, however we also plan for next steps, regardless of what areas they cover within the curriculum. Our planning is made up of short term, continuous provision and next steps, we only plan around a topic if that is the predominate interest of the children, for instance the majority of the children have been using the homecorner as a space station, so this week they made a rocket and alien masks. Our observations are made up of short spontaneous obs and planned longer obs, the planned obs are for each area of the curriculum, which gives us a clearer picture of how the children are

progressing, I am now going to attempt to upload our planning for you to have a look at.

EYFS_observation5.pdf

short_term_2.docx

weekly_sheets_stowey_1.docx

next_steps.docx

Edited by cupcake

We still have short term planning, where we select areas within the EYFS that we need to cover to ensure we are offering a balanced curriculum, the staff like the short term planning because it gives a focus to their observations, however we also plan for next steps, regardless of what areas they cover within the curriculum. Our planning is made up of short term, continuous provision and next steps, we only plan around a topic if that is the predominate interest of the children, for instance the majority of the children have been using the homecorner as a space station, so this week they made a rocket and alien masks. Our observations are made up of short spontaneous obs and planned longer obs, the planned obs are for each area of the curriculum, which gives us a clearer picture of how the children are

progressing, I am now going to attempt to upload our planning for you to have a look at.

EYFS_observation5.pdf

short_term_2.docx

weekly_sheets_stowey_1.docx

HI can you re-download them as older word documents or RTF files so I can open them on the laptop please?

we do it individually and i find it hard to understand how people can do it as a whole group as children'd interests are so diverse

my key work staff track and plan for their own children and as i input planning i can see where they are and i also look through folders to check that staff are going in right direction and not needing a guiding hand or a bit of training

without any other kind os items out other than your normal continous planning every area will cover all 6 goals

it really is simple and the best way to scaffold learning is to do it within interested areas

i have children who would make mud pies all day and that is not a problem to get all 6 ares covered with pie making :o

Edited by Suer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)