Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whole School Assembly

Hi everyone. I've been trying to enjoy the holidays but all I keep thinking about is the whole school assembly I have to do when we go back. I am geting myself in a big panic as I have never done this before. Right now I'd like to run and hide away and not go in that day. I so scared especially as we are quite a big primary school. I teach reception and I am an NQT so this is like a major big deal for me. Coupled with that my school have word of the week which often the assembly is based on. Trouble is the word will be 'Liason'! Any good ideas on what on earth I can do? My mind is just a big blank. :o

Hmm, that's a word, innit!

Well perhaps you could start by looking at the meaning of the word and perhaps getting your thesaurus out to find similar words the children might be more familiar with.

I'm sure there has to be a story about liaison but right now my brain still seems to be asleep - I'll be back when I've woken up properly and had time to think!

Just wanted you to know quickly that we're on the case - as it were

Hmm, that's a word, innit!

Well perhaps you could start by looking at the meaning of the word and perhaps getting your thesaurus out to find similar words the children might be more familiar with.

I'm sure there has to be a story about liaison but right now my brain still seems to be asleep - I'll be back when I've woken up properly and had time to think!

Just wanted you to know quickly that we're on the case - as it were

Wow, that was quick! Thank you so much. I have looked at the thesaurus and dictionary....communication, go between, link, cooperation. Tricky to reach the whole school.......................

Just doing a quick search on tinternet shows me that liaison means "a linking up or connecting of two or more separate entities or of the parts, as military units, of a whole so that they can work together effectively".

Perhaps you can think of lots of children's books where the characters had to work together to get something done or achieve something, choose one and then base your assembly around that?

I'm sure once you decide on what to do you'll start to feel in less of a panic - and I know that we have lots of teacher members who are 'old hands' as this assembly malarky!

Maz

Just doing a quick search on tinternet shows me that liaison means "a linking up or connecting of two or more separate entities or of the parts, as military units, of a whole so that they can work together effectively".

Perhaps you can think of lots of children's books where the characters had to work together to get something done or achieve something, choose one and then base your assembly around that?

I'm sure once you decide on what to do you'll start to feel in less of a panic - and I know that we have lots of teacher members who are 'old hands' as this assembly malarky!

Maz

Mmmmm....that has made me think of Bees and bee hives, our topic is mini beasts. Do you think think that might work?

Mmmmm....that has made me think of Bees and bee hives, our topic is mini beasts. Do you think think that might work?

I'm sure it would - I'm hearing the "flight of the bumblebee" (or you could sing that delightful song about "I'm squishing up my baby bumblebee" which has always worried me slightly!). I guess the question is how to make it exciting and interactive but that's half the fun. Isn't it? :o

It will be interesting to see how you develop this idea - can you link in a story book or poem or something? Now I'm seeing "Bee Movie" in my head too!

Maz

Sounds perfect then! No-one liaises like the bees! all that bottom waggling to show where the nectar is, all that looking after each other to achieve a common purpose! fantastic

Hi Kathy.

Assemblies still scare me and Ive done quite a few!

Liaison is obviously about working together and problem solving springs to mind. What form do your school assemblies normally take, do the children show and tell what they have been doing in class or is there more of a performance emphasis? The former is easier in my opinion and Im sure you could do lots of collaborative work to illustrate the word of the week!

Good luck and try not to panic too much. Your mentor ought to be able to support you too.

Do you have a projector in the hall - if so you could get bee movie and find part of when they're working together - bugs life also has a good part showing that or was it antz. The children will automatically be interested then you could get the children to think about how they worked together to achieve something. You could think of an activity that would be really hard to do on your own - get the year 6 helping. Then get more children to help to show working together makes things easier.

I remember my first few assemblies and was very scared. Just put on a confident act even if that's not how you're feeling at all!

Edited by SP61HJ

Could you have a look at how liaison relates to them, in the same way as it does in the business world. A little role play, lets say Jenny doesn't like the way that Samantha is talking to her, she's been really nasty. Jenny is crying in the playground when her friend Matthew comes over. He asks what is the matter and she tells him, he knows that Jenny and Samantha are usually good friends so with Jenny's permission he goes to have a word with Samantha - you still with me?

Anyway, clever Matthew soon sorts it all out, it seems that Jenny didn't comment on Samantha's new cardigan and it upset her. Matthew acted as a liaison. What else could he have done as liaison? well he could have told a teacher and got a second liaison going.

So how can liaison help them, and can they think of an occasion where they have needed it or used it?

That's fabulous, especially the last bit, but perhaps not very animal friendly. :oxD If you go with the bee idea why not have the children using different ways to communicate beginning with sign or mime to explain something.

Hi Kathy.

Assemblies still scare me and Ive done quite a few!

Liaison is obviously about working together and problem solving springs to mind. What form do your school assemblies normally take, do the children show and tell what they have been doing in class or is there more of a performance emphasis? The former is easier in my opinion and Im sure you could do lots of collaborative work to illustrate the word of the week!

Good luck and try not to panic too much. Your mentor ought to be able to support you too.

ah well I have a class assembly about 3 weeks after that! This is just me although I could get some helpful year 6's involved. My mentor isn't too helpful though as I have already asked her. She said just make sure you've planned it as these go better. She doesn't like doing them either!

Could you have a look at how liaison relates to them, in the same way as it does in the business world. A little role play, lets say Jenny doesn't like the way that Samantha is talking to her, she's been really nasty. Jenny is crying in the playground when her friend Matthew comes over. He asks what is the matter and she tells him, he knows that Jenny and Samantha are usually good friends so with Jenny's permission he goes to have a word with Samantha - you still with me?

Anyway, clever Matthew soon sorts it all out, it seems that Jenny didn't comment on Samantha's new cardigan and it upset her. Matthew acted as a liaison. What else could he have done as liaison? well he could have told a teacher and got a second liaison going.

So how can liaison help them, and can they think of an occasion where they have needed it or used it?

that sounds really interesting and could work. Now my mind is beginning to buzz with some ideas. Thank you. :o

that sounds really interesting and could work. Now my mind is beginning to buzz with some ideas. Thank you. :(

:o Now where did I put my groaning smilie?! :( Insects are so great at working together in colonies that there are many different ways you could take this. Do come back and tell us your thoughts so that we can help you further! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)