Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Job - Senior Practitioner!

I am due to start working for a local children's centre as a senior practitioner. I am really looking forward to it although the nerves are going to be kicking in soon lol.

I wondered if there are any other senior practitioners on fsf x

I wondered if there are any other senior practitioners on fsf x

Wow - congratulations, kmt78!

I wonder if the job title Senior Practitioner is a broadly similar one or does it vary from setting to setting, and how the job of a Senior Practitioner differs from that of Early Years Professional? I'm not a Senior Practitioner so I can't comment really - but I'm sure there are others on here who are and can help!

I shall watch this thread with interest to see if my setting needs one! :o

Maz

I shall watch this thread with interest to see if my setting needs one! :o

Maz

Me too xD According to my Foundation Degree Certificate I 'am one' ! It says 'this degree is sector-endorsed and confers Senior Practitioner Status'

However, I have no idea what it actually means :(

Many congratulations on the new job kmt78 sounds like exciting times and look forward to hearing all about it :(

Edited by Geraldine

Guest Wolfie

We've got two Senior Educarers at our Centre, in charge of the two rooms, but I think that the role might be slightly different? I shall also watch this thread with interest! :o

Hi Kmt78,

I am about to start a new job as a Senior Practitioner in a childrens centre as well. I am quietly panicking too as I have left a lovely setting to take up this new role. My understanding of the role I will be doing is, having sing and rhyme sessions and art and craft sessions with children and their parents, dads come and play sessions and some time will be spent visiting families in their homes to assess their needs and give support where needed. Thats all I know at present until I start the new role. At the moment I am just finishing off my final end of course exam component for the E115 course as part of the Foundation Degree in Early Years. Hope all goes well for you. I would be very interested in what your role as Senior Practitioner is in the Childrens centre you are going to.

Rosepetal

hi rosepetal

Ihave worked in a childrens centre since september, firstly working as a early years practitioner in the day nursery within the centre and then in february I started working as a childrens centre worker.I am really enjoying this role and it sounds very similar to what you will be doing.My role is to promote the centre and target certain groups for example- single parents, fathers, black minority ethnic groups and families with special needs.I run several sessions such as messy play and sensory sessions and will be running two more groups shortly. I also have some families who I visit in their own homes. The job is really interesting and varied so if it is what you will be doing I am sure you will love it.

Me too :o According to my Foundation Degree Certificate I 'am one' ! It says 'this degree is sector-endorsed and confers Senior Practitioner Status'

Yep, mine does too

I'm in a Children's Centre too and we have Senior Practitioners. Some work in the day care part and their role is really to act as a room leader. Others work in the 'family support' part and are responsible for running Stay and Play groups etc. What does your job description say?

Good luck with the job anyway. I hope you will be very happy.

Gruffalo2 :o

• 2 weeks later...

What a busy week! Finished work on Thursday, handed in last assignment for FD on Friday and started new job Monday!

Rosepetal - i am doing very similar things to you, have spent the last few days shadowing two other practitioners and reading policies.

Its very different to my last post tho but am still smiling after my first week!

• 2 weeks later...

Well - I'm half way through week 3 and still smiling.

There's lots to take in and remember but all is sinking in gradually.

The centre I'm at is starting a new group based around antenatal care - and as they are looking for a group name I thought I'd put it to everyone on here.

All I know is the group will be in partnership with a midwife and will be based in her antenatal clinic.

Any ideas will be taken on board though the name can't contain 'bump' as many 'bump' groups already, Thanks in advance :o

Sounds good and interesting. Why not ask the Mum's afterall they are the ones who will be attending? Hope all goes well.

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)