Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Boisterous Boys!

bluestar

We've reached that time of the year again when we have some very boisterous boys who need to move up to big school!! Does anyone have any ideas how to manage these boys for the last few weeks of term??

We dont have a free flow out doors but we do take them out each morning for variable lengths of time (this time is getting longer as they seem to be better when able to run around and let off steam)

Any proven activities to stretch and calm them down - the next 7 weeks is going to seem like a long term!!

Could you have an exercise class first thing. Stretches and running on the spot, leg raises, push ups, movement to music, anything to wear them out a bit. Link it to a small topic on bodies or use that chap Sporticus, (is he still around?) :o

hi in same position as you, although we do have freeflow to outside area, but all they do is run around, 'fighting', 'Ben10', 'shooting' (with anything from duplo to playdough) and shouting. I feel that they are just being boys and are having a great time but a few girls get caught in the cross fire let alone all our nerve endings. Will be watching this thread with interest, must admit took the cd player outside today and played musical bumps etc with them, then we all sat down and listened and joined in with some familiar songs and nursery rhymes that calmed them down a bit.

Another one here with similar problems.... we do "Activate" first thing, a nice stretching and exercising programme, we have free access to outdoors, but still we have the loud, wild boisterous boys.

Its defintely time to move them on....

We have home corner role play (always) and a hospital and a building site at present, taken fromt he childrens interests, but still the sessions don't seem like nice times........ I have a couple of children who I dread seeing come through the door........ I am fed up of hearing me say their names!!!!!!!!! Mindyou, staff sickness has meant lots of 10 hour days for me of late so maybe I am just tired out.

A whitsun break and a birthday may soothe the nerves for a 7 week stint!!!!!!!!!!

i will definitely be watching this thread with great interest!!a lot of the older boys run around shooting pretending to be monsters,power rangers.They use muical sticks anything for guns etc.Even though outdoors calms them down theycome in running around playing jail games!!definitely time for them to go even though i will miss them!!

i will definitely be watching this thread with great interest!!a lot of the older boys run around shooting pretending to be monsters,power rangers.They use muical sticks anything for guns etc.Even though outdoors calms them down theycome in running around playing jail games!!definitely time for them to go even though i will miss them!!

We have an 80% boy population at the moment and inevitably the whole superhero "BANG you're dead" stuff is going to crop up.

We are lucky that freeflow to a secure outside area alleviates much of the problem, however some of them are intent on throwing themselves around dangerously inside where others do get caught in the line of fire.

The only way that we have managed to keep things under control is, rather than to resist this style of play, run with it BUT at the same time gathering the boys together and setting ground rules to which they contribute - we have found that it takes just the odd gentle reminder of THEIR rules (i.e. pretend to fight but no touching) and they sort it out themselves as they feel they have ownership of the rules of engagement.

Also, by turning it into something constructive (i.e tapping into the hero thing and guiding them towards less confrontational role play such as fire and rescue) we have found it to be quite a positive thing.

Failing all that, I just take them outside, pick up a rugby ball and tell them they have to tackle me. I just keep running until the last one drops!

Guess it all depends how you view it. For me, these boys are ready to move on but there is still plenty of scope to extend their learning before they go and surely that is what it is all about, isn't it?

DDC

Great thread this - we were all just talking about what we were doing this week and saying that the boys need to be inspired - some of our little lads parents have been going on at them about leaving and going to big school - I have explained that in their life September is so far away - so I am wondering if they feel slightly un-settled - we have changed our role play for this last week and straight away they were productive and not needing adults to intervene we do have free flow inside & outside - we are ensuring we are cooking every week and outside has lots of opened ended activities boxes planks water etc = we will soon see how it develops - Dot

How about trying to get some dads in to work with them? Bear in mind that the early years and primary workforce is very heavily female, perhaps these boys could do with some male input (no offence intended). We have had great success with some dads coming in recently, one did guitar playing, another did reading.

This week on supply I have been in 3 settings already and noticed a predominance of boys. However, in today's setting I managed to harness the boys imagination using the large blocks. This morning we built a ship, this led into map making. By placing animals around the boat and on a distant island, the boys gatherered binoculars and spades to treasure hunt. They found their own treasure but other staff commented on the focused play.

After lunch some different boys joined the group and we built a plane. This led to making passports, setting up a passport control. The whole group were involved, we were served snack on the plane and finally arrived in the land of outdoor play. The excitement when it was time to reboard the aircraft to return to nursery was superb. One child frantic because he'd lost his passport! The boys who are usually running around were totally engrossed in this fantasy world. Proof I think that you just need to harness their enthusiasm and interests.

Most of these boisterous boys will have been in a setting for at least 2 terms, so they think they know it all. They have played with everything and explored everything (they think)so they need to be challenged and offered new/same but different activities to explore.

I hear the comment that these children "need to move on to school now" quite often in early years settings and I have just begun to wonder what it is that we in early years think that the school can do for them that we can't?

Not a criticism, I am genuinely curious.

I share your curiosity AlisonP - we need to keep on top of the situation and re-double our efforts with the boys and find good quality role play for them which stimulates their undoubted need for boisterous elements in their make up - ours tend to like pirates play during this term which offers a lot of stimulating play in all areas.

Hi - I too wonder why people say "ready for school" - reception is a continuation of what we are doing so we need to ensure we are meeting their needs - last Summer Term I managed to get hold of some haystacks outside they were really great - loads of enclosures etc etc - anyway glad I am off next week need to re-cap and have a rest ha ha Dot

The reason so many boys are like this during the summer term before starting school is down to hormones. The levels of testosterone suddenly increase between the ages of 4 and 5, giving them endless amounts of energy and aggression which they find difficult to cope with. If you understand that there is a physical reason for it, out of their control, you may find it easier to deal with. It becomes especially important to let them have access to activities where they can channel these things. If you try to calm them down and get them to sit quietly, you will actually make things worse for them.

Once they reach 5 the levels drop down again, and peace is restored! :o

Could you have an exercise class first thing. Stretches and running on the spot, leg raises, push ups, movement to music, anything to wear them out a bit. Link it to a small topic on bodies or use that chap Sporticus, (is he still around?) :o

Hi you could do like my local primary school awake up shake up time , they start the day outside with music playing doing excersies, its lovely to watch only wish sometime i could go out and join them lol .

We also have a group of boys who seem to take over the session with loud, boistrous play!! For the past few

weeks we have had lots of recycling materials available spread out on a large table. We start to chat about diggers

cranes etc which moved onto super heros and then onto ben10, power rangers etc. This particular group of boys

spent so much time creating their models, peace was restored for some time!

A collection of large cardboard boxes have sent this group of boys off to space, formula 1 racing and aeroplane trips to

various destinations (all leading onto other activities which interest them).

Racing games, team games etc also focus these boys well and after a hectic 'half hour' (or sometimes more) they seem to

settle back down and be happy to do floor puzzles, playdough or just sit and chat in a group about things that interest them.

It's very easy for us all to get frazzled and just keep moaning at the more lively members of our group, but with a little

extra support and interaction from staff it's amazing how well they respond to positive praise.

sorry to go on, but it really does work in our setting...

dottyp

Guest MaryEMac

On the friday before Father's day we are having a dad's day at playgroup. We sent out the invite a while ago so thatthey could arrange work schedules. So far we have about 6 dad's at each session + grandad. One of the dad's is so keen that he is going to stay all day and have lunch. i think it will be an interesting day and perhaps our more boisterous boys will benefit from it. I too am getting tired of guns and super heroes.

One good game which the children last year devised was when the girls pretend to be tied to a tree outside and the boys then rescue them. It was noticed that one girl wouldn't be rescued because the wrong boy had untied her!!!

Mary

Thats really interesting re the hormones - I didnt know that!!

I think when I say ready for big scholl I think that some of them have been with us for 2 years plus and need achange of environment, new faces in staff and children,.

This week we have been uing the tennis courts and doing some great warm ups then tennis - it also turned into a bird spottingt experience as a red kite swooped down near us!

The reason so many boys are like this during the summer term before starting school is down to hormones. The levels of testosterone suddenly increase between the ages of 4 and 5, giving them endless amounts of energy and aggression which they find difficult to cope with. If you understand that there is a physical reason for it, out of their control, you may find it easier to deal with. It becomes especially important to let them have access to activities where they can channel these things. If you try to calm them down and get them to sit quietly, you will actually make things worse for them.

Once they reach 5 the levels drop down again, and peace is restored! :o

Thanks Beau, I really didn't know this. Probably because I have 2 teenage sons and am so concerned with their changing hormone levels. Thanks for the information, mrsW.x

Hi

I had the same problem with a group of boys in my class who were always running around fighting and playing Ben 10. So I decided to follow their interests and we explored the topic of Superheros. They loved it and were really inspired. It was interesting to observe that they just saw Superheros as people with weapons who fight all the time, which is what they see on their favourite TV programmes. We discussed why they are Superheros, what powers they have and how they help people. Since doing this their play has been much more varied and not as rough as before. Instead of shooting each other they have been using their powers of invisibility and animal strengths to save each other.

Having said that all of my class have become soooo loud the last few weeks, though it has been very windy which always has an effect on them.

They have also just been given their own rough writing books in their trays which they can use at any time. Before we had paper and clipboards around the different areas in the room but the boys never really used them. The girls tend to take over the writing/drawing table. This week I have seen many of the boys taking their books and the pens and writing/drawing outside and on the carpet, this has helped them to settle down a little aswell.

I think that it is sometimes easy to see boys behaviour as too loud and rough and we have to ask is this because we are female and maybe when we were their age would have been the girls busy playing the more acceptable games?

I think we just have to try to engage the boys as much as possible and explore their interests even if these are more physical than we would prefer them to be.

I do agree though, it can be hard when they do not always respond to this and just run around like crazy animals!!

I think that it is sometimes easy to see boys behaviour as too loud and rough and we have to ask is this because we are female and maybe when we were their age would have been the girls busy playing the more acceptable games?

Female? Speak for yourself! :o

Hi Again All - we also ensure that as soon as the children arrive - the door to the outside is opened and they can access outside straight away - all the boys come in wanting to run and jump and get off their energy - by ensuring the we are accessing outside straight away as really helped them settle when they come in.

Dot

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just completed the survey and wow did it make me think. It something I want to explore further so any more of your great ideas would be gratefully received. Thank you!