Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pleasently Suprised

HI,

i decided that i would write to all the schools that our pre-school children would be going to (with parents permission of course). I asked them if they would come and met us, or if we could see them, and i also suggested that i would like to go with the camera to create a learning journey for the children about what going to school would be like..... ie entrance, classroom, playground etc.

i received a reply from one school and booked an appointement for them to see us.

the head teacher and class teacher were lovely, both into seeing the whole nursery and then to sit with all the chidren and interact with them, of course paying more attention to the three that were going to there school.

They spent an hour with us, and what impressed me most was that the class teacher had made a learning journey of the school for us to give to the children, what more could we ask for..... such an excellent way to forge links and support the children in this transition.

i have been invited to spend some time at the school in the reception class, so i really look forward to that.

i hope we get responses from all our local schools.

Dawn :o

You lucky thing! Don't think we're even getting a visit from school this year as the teacher is on maternity leave and the one they have at the moment won't be there in September!

Helen's nursery used to have visits every year from the three or four schools into which her children would move. The reception teachers were, without exception, really interested in the children they were due to receive and very much valued the opportunity to learn a little about them. And they all interacted with the children and enjoyed themselves (apparently!) enormously - singing and playing along with whatever was happening at the time.

The other thing we noticed was that the children really valued meeting their future teachers, and afterwards would talk very confidently about when they go to Mrs X's class. An invaluable experience I'd say Dawn, thanks for recounting it! :o

I always had good relations with all of the schools our children moved onto. It was interesting how they all approached the transition slightly differently. However, the opportunity to meet with the teacher in a familiar environment was essential for some of the children and went a long way to helping them when they moved on. I'm sure that most teachers would love to have this opportunity, but for various reasons are unable to have 'time out' to do this.

I think what is so nice from your story is that the headteacher was involved as well - obviously someone who really values and has a good understanding of Early Years.

We feed into several local schools but only one of them regularly come in to meet the children, though this year there may be another one. Two out of about nine, it's a start!

Karrie

Edited by aliamch

We had the local school reception teachers (they job share) visit on Monday and they gave such lovely feedback. On a slightly different note, I was speaking to our Foundation Stage Advisor and she briefly said that Reception teachers and Play leaders will shortly have to draw up a shared contract about planning and transitions, I explained that I hadnt heard of this, she said, you will shortly as I will be writing to you shortly, sorry if this sounds a bit vague, but we were at a meeting about something else, so its something she was trying to describe on the run, so to speak. Will let you know more when she writes to me with the details.

Claire x