Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Worms!

hi all,

i am being observed for a short while next week and although i am pretty set on what i am going to do, i just thought i would ask you all what you thought...

our topic, like many, i'm sure at the mo is mini beasts, we have been looking at a different creature or 2 each week, next week i have planned to look at worms. when i'm observed my Ta and i will be tecahing KUW and CLL so my plan is for my ta to go and dig up worms with the children to investigate they will be using magnifying glasses and cameras and will hopefully be sketching pictures of the worms, while i was planning to create a class information book about worms? children writing sentences and questions about worms to go in a pre-made book along with some CI activities such as making threading worm pictures( using wool and hole punches etc), having worms in a tough spot for children to explore and enhance the provison with spagetti in the water and so on!

do you think this this sounds ok? have you got any others ideas for CI worm activities and is it ok to have worms in the class room?????

phew i feel better now for just writing that - hope you can help - you usually do

many thanks x

Sounds like a lot of fun to me!

Did you know that if you pour water mixed with just a tiny bit of detergent onto ground it will make the worms come to the surface?!

Oh someone may come along now and say you shouldn't do that as it hurts the worms - hope not!

Could you measure the worms and record results?

Have fun!

Sunnyday

I can remember listening to them, if you put one in the fold of a piece of a4 paper and hold it against your ear you can hear them crackling as their tiny villii help them move along.

I can remember listening to them, if you put one in the fold of a piece of a4 paper and hold it against your ear you can hear them crackling as their tiny villii help them move along.

I am just off to my compost bin to extract a worm or three to give that a try!

Oh and lutley63 - when I just glanced at your topic I was about to launch into a - oh you can get over the counter medicine for that!!!

Haven't been drinking - honest!

Sunnyday

we did a worm picture by mixing cooked spaghetti pasta in brownypinky paint and the children pick the 'worms' out and put them onto a square of sugar paper with some cut out leaves. While they have their hand in there, we discuss how they feel and expand on lovely language like gooey, slippery etc.. I wrote the really good descriptions for our display too. The pictures look surprisingly effective.

we did a worm picture by mixing cooked spaghetti pasta in brownypinky paint and the children pick the 'worms' out and put them onto a square of sugar paper with some cut out leaves. While they have their hand in there, we discuss how they feel and expand on lovely language like gooey, slippery etc.. I wrote the really good descriptions for our display too. The pictures look surprisingly effective.

What a brilliant idea - permission to steal please!

Sunnyday

wow great idea's as always, i will be trying that to get the worms up instead of hours of digging! so you think it's ok to have the worms in the clasrrom - nothing better than hands on!?! thanks again

Hi,

I too have been thinking about bringing worms into the classroom next week, so googled 'wormery' but the cheapest I could find was £40! I then googled 'make a wormery' and found a very good website www.thekidsgarden.co.uk which has lots of tips about gardening with children including how to make a wormery! It suggests to make one using a large water bottle - maybe you could make one so the children to observe and record as one of your CI activities?

I'm going to give it a go!

Good luck

Green hippo

My youngest daughter had a thing about worms when she was about 2, and would delight in finding them in the garden. I was absolutely fine with this until I saw her stretching them. :o:(

I was just thinking that perhaps asking children to measure them might be asking for trouble, as some bright spark may decide theirs needs to be longer............ xD

Permission to steal.. sunnyday! ha ha (I steal enough things off here, after all!)

By the way.. today I tried the water and detergent thing - i used washing up liquid - no worms to be seen i'm afraid!

Permission to steal.. sunnyday! ha ha (I steal enough things off here, after all!)

By the way.. today I tried the water and detergent thing - i used washing up liquid - no worms to be seen i'm afraid!

Oh - have just checked with hubby - he says yes water and washing up liquid should definitely bring worms to the surface - maybe you have 'wormfree' piece of ground!!!

Sunnyday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)