Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Please Help Me?

Hiya guys

I am hoping that some of you great people will be able to help me? I have an essay question to answer:

Observation is widely used as a method of assessing children's learning and development. What are the strengths and limitations of using observation as an assessment tool?

All answers should refer to recent and relevant research and publications.

I have my own knowledge on this as we all do this day in day out. But I am having trouble finding the relevant research to back everything up. I have looked in the guidance - it doesn't say a lot, also all of the books from uni, but I am confused as to what sort of research- should it be from the government or theorists.

It's so bloomin hard and I feel I am getting nowhere really fast!

Thanks Guys ( sorry - moan over)

Nat74 x

Vicky Hutchins writes some good stuff too!

Absolutely - can recommend her too! What about looking at the EYFS CDRom - there's usually some good research stuff on there.

Maz

Have you looked into Mosaic observation - frantically racking my brains to think what the two books are called - they are down the road. It's about observing children using different 'tools' such as asking them to photograph areas that are special to them, interviewing them, etc. It's really useful and I'll be back when I remember

Spaces to play Alison Clarke and Peter Moss

and 'More spaces to play' by same peeps

Have sent you a private message which may help

Edited by Cait

Hi

I would look at Alison Clark's Mosaic approach because she observes using the children themselves.

Disadvantages of observation could include making assumptions, not being objective.

Look on the EYFS CD rom for links to theory.

Hope that helps a bit

Sally5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)