Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Next Steps!

Ok I have a first degree (in an unrelated subject but I enjoyed it at the time), a level 3 DPP and my EYP status, so where do I go from here?

I need to allocate a pot of money from GLF in order to claim the full amount our setting is entitled to and the only way in which I can think to do it is to decide on a further training path which will cost! It's really sad because there is so much I could spend £2000 on in the setting otherwise, but it is constrained by the rules.

So does anyone have any suggestions? In the future I would perhaps like to work with the LA as a part of the support team for PVI settings. Oh and the course(s) can't start before September because we have big changes coming before then and I don't think I could stand any more stress.

I'm just starting a course called PTLLS (Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector) which is the first part of a degree at Worcester Uni. I'm not going to pursue it all the way but I feel this might equip me better in leading workshops for or work better with parents/carers/families - something I'm passionate about.

Curiously it's free at the moment (which I know doesn't help your dilemma but maybe your money could be used for supporting resources?). Just an idea! I start on Friday so should be able to give you more info then if you are interested.

Congratulations on achieving your EYP by the way!

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to use the money for resources but the course sounds interesting - I might get back to you on that one. It is so infuriating having money and nothing to use it for but I'm blowed if I'll let them have it back, I will find something!

Would it be worth your doing a part time PGCE? One of our practitioners is doing this, about to start on her teaching practice, so your money could cover your setting for your absence. Or is EYP effectively the same thing and would you end up paid the same as with QTS?

Hmm.. PGCE s something I considered before EYP came along but I was limited and partly by funds. Oh now you've got me thinking because it would give me more options in the future for certain. Do I want to make such a long term commitment though? Aaarghh now I'm confused but thank you for the suggestion!

I'm not sure I am cut out for speech and language really. Its not that I'm deaf but I do struggle to hear subtle differences in sounds and I am tone deaf, and I don't really know about psychology. My sister and my other half both studied it at degree and its never really floated my boat.

I'm thinking I need to find a number of one off, short "things" and just get booked on them. Maybe I should have a visit to somewhere far away, Pen Green or Wingate and that would cost some in travel and accommodation at least. Maybe I could do a grand tour of FSF settings and claim that as CPD!

Or is EYP effectively the same thing and would you end up paid the same as with QTS?

Can you hear the hollow laughter from this end, SuzieC8? We'd love to be paid as much as someone with QTS (whatever that salary might be) but I'm afraid most groups within the PVI sector just can't afford that kind of salary. There was a survey recently that EYPs are earning on average £8 or £9 an hour... xD

Holly - I can't remember where you're based but have you looked at the conferences/training at Pen Green (and Marion posted recently about a conference led by Paddy Beels at Early Excellence (think that's what it is called). Also there was a link to Farley nursery school who do workshops on outdoor play. A series of day courses might provide some inspiration for several smaller projects that are of interest to you in your setting rather than a longer course of study - especially if you're not sure which direction you want to go in!

Does your University have any ideas? I seem to remember ours saying that we would be entitled to undertake some Masters modules so that might be an option if you want to do some study in shorter bursts!

What about Forest school training?

Finally, I don't know how the LA would feel about you using the grant to do your PGCE because presumably that would be intended to enable you to move towards teaching in a school which would effectively take you away from the group and from raising standards in your setting which is what the GLF is really all about. Or I might just have got the wrong end of the stick there! :o

Maz

I'm thinking I need to find a number of one off, short "things" and just get booked on them. Maybe I should have a visit to somewhere far away, Pen Green or Wingate and that would cost some in travel and accommodation at least. Maybe I could do a grand tour of FSF settings and claim that as CPD!

We were obviously posting at the same time, Holly!

Are you thinking of going to the EYP conference in Birmingham in July? Might that count as CPD? I think it might, at a stretch!

Maz

I would have liked to go to Birmingham actually but I am so stretched for time until the end of that week in July, and I get back from Barcelona the day before so I might not be up to much that day!

I echo your hollow laughter about the QTS/EYP issue and add to it with your suggestion about my university. They barely got me through the EYPS let alone having any suggestions for afterwards! Even if they did I doubt I would touch it with a bargepole now. I agree with the question over PGCE too. It might work but equally they might not be too happy.

I think a series of visits/sessions at Pen Green, Early Excellence, etc might be best. A friend wants me to visit her and she wants to go to Pen Green too so I could do both at once, especially as she is quite close to there. I'm in Manchester-ish area so if anyone has any suggestions of anything or spots anything coming up give me a shout. Thank you for your help so far.

Oh that's interesting. I have been to Huddersfield the other month for the first time and I am just browsing their courses now. Pen Green is a long way for me really but I might get to go to both at this rate. I can't seem to give this money away!

I've not been to either just comments from a meeting I was at on Friday.

Well I can bore for England on the subject of Pen Green, and Marion really rates Early Excellence. I'd be interested in going but Manchester to Huddersfield is quite a trek for me!

I'm in a similar position Holly - I've been given £750 for CPD for the whole team so am looking at trips for all levels of expertise. The Farley nursery school looks like a favourite for the moment but I wouldn't rule out a return trip to Pen Green at some point - I feel in need of a top up!

Maz

I would love that this money could be used for the team and I feel quite guilty complaining I can't find what to spend it on myself. Last year we were allowed to identify training needs for the team and spend appropriately but this year it is strictly for the EYP, and then I get to bore everyone when I get back. For lots of training I've been on I feel it is the experience as much as anything else, which helps to shape attitudes and changes in them. I fear I don't give the same experience when I cascade my learning back to the team :o

For lots of training I've been on I feel it is the experience as much as anything else, which helps to shape attitudes and changes in them. I fear I don't give the same experience when I cascade my learning back to the team xD

Could you find a course which includes a resource in the price? I seem to remember seeing some persona doll training which included a persona doll.. that would make your cascading sessions even more interesting! :o

That's a good thought. Thank you. At least that way we get something more from the expenditure. I think the BEAM math courses included resources....I will go and investigate.

The Farley nursery school looks like a favourite for the moment

I went for a workshop day at Farley a month or so a go and it was a great day. If you want to develop your outside play then it is a really great on hands on experience. It is a hands on day working with the children, who are great, even if far more verbally able than 50% of my school ever have any hope of being! Nevertheless I would highly recommend the workshop day at Farley - the staff are all so helpful and the manager/owner so passionate about what they are doing. Don't go though expecting a wonderful indoor provision because that is not what it is about. They literally spend all day, except when eating, outside. But as you can tell I loved it there :o

But as you can tell I loved it there :o

Well I sent the link (did you upload it?) to my deputy and she's raring to go. May send half the team this term if there are spaces, and half next! Thought it looked good value for money and its not too far away from us!

Maz

Well I sent the link (did you upload it?) to my deputy and she's raring to go. May send half the team this term if there are spaces, and half next! Thought it looked good value for money and its not too far away from us!

Maz

I have uploaded it a couple of times! Definitely good value - lunch was great too! :o

Could you use the £2000 to fund a trip to Reggio? Far reaching perhaps but you never know......

That would barely cover the cost of the study part - airfares and accommodation is extra!

Would love to go though! Also I'd love to go and see Te Whariki in action - but two grand definitely won't reach New Zealand! :o

I would certainly recommend anyone to go to Early Excellence Huddersfield. They have some fantastic course leaders such as Marion Dowling and Paddy Beals among others. The last time I was on a course there, there were people who had travelled a long way - from East and West Midlands and Hull, as they said there was nothing like Early Excellence in their areas and they were prepared to travel. Also very good lunches and all the staff are passionate about early education.

I agree with CCT it is well worth the visit, and not just for the light lunch and sweets on the tables :oxD

http://www.earlyexcellence.com/

There is also Paddy Beale's Nursery and Training Centre up near Durham, but a long way to travel. A fanastic place, and they have lots of training materials which are well worth considering. Marion posted a link to Wingate's site, and flagged up their Early Years Conference.

http://www.wingatechildrenscentre.com/

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. I am going off to check them out and I've decided that a few small visits/courses rather than one big one is the way to go. So I'll be off here, there and everywhere over the coming months! If you spot anything you think might be good coming up though please flag it up for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)