Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Behaviour Policy

Anyone willing to share theirs if they have one? Also does your setting have something in writing which states that staff should not discuss setting matters outside of the setting?

ppp

Anyone willing to share theirs if they have one? Also does your setting have something in writing which states that staff should not discuss setting matters outside of the setting?

ppp

Wouldn't that be in your confidentiality policy?

Our staff team sign a form to agree to the policies and procedures of the pre-school with a separate statement re-inforcing that their work is confidential and should not be discussed outside of the setting staff team.

Edited by Guest

What I meant say was we have a confidentiality section in our Safeguarding children policy but only means confientiality regarding records. I'm in the process of updating them as they were in a mess for some time.

We also have a staff handbook that each member of staff receives on entry to the setting, it contains how the pre-school runs, policies and procedures, guidance on their role within the setting which also includes a confidentiality statement that they agree to abide by.

I have had issues with this and had to give verbal warning to a member of staff who was chatting in the playground to a member of staff from another setting about a shared child - a member of our committee overheard and I dealt with it, I also spoke to the Manager at the other setting who dealt with it her end. It is important that staff can speak to each other without fear of anyone passing information on, the jungle grapevine is always very effective at picking up gossip and thoughtless words. Our setting is in a village so everyone knows everyone......

fine line between beaching confidentiality and passing on information about a shared child.....

It does depend on where you are, lalaloulou's example was overheard talking in the playground, where anyone else could hear and did. We had a previous member of staff who was overheard talking in a school playground to her friend about another child, when manager reminded her of the confidentiality policy, she went into a major strop and never came back.

fine line between beaching confidentiality and passing on information about a shared child.....

At that time we did not have permission to speak to the other setting regarding that child so it was a breach.

i have a confidentiality policy but also discuss the importance of confidentiality during induction and ask them to sign confidentiality agreement form, also all committee members are asked to do the same, i think asking them to actually sign up to it reinforces the importance of it.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a staff confidentiality policy which they all sign, it also states that they may not talk about other members of staff to people outside. I have volunteer parents sign a similar format and work experience students etc. Also during induction it is clearly discussed what contravenes confidentiality in any shape or form, particularly, say, handing out addresses and telephone numbers of third parties. If a parent wants a telephone number for another parent, I contact the other parent and ask permission first or give the first parent's number so that they may be contacted directly. It is very difficult when you work in a smallish community.

With regard to some other behaviours, we actually cover some of that in our behaviour policy for the children - we state the type of behaviour we expect from adults in the nursery which has a far longer list than that expected of the children!

What we haven't covered yet is face book type sites, so I expect I shall have to up-date the confidentiality policy to include that.

If I had a gossipy member of staff, I would always have concerns that they may break confidentiality - just keep on dropping hints every now and then, not to talk about nursery/people/children outside, what happens in nursery, stays in nursery.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)