Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eal Resources- In The Developing World.

Hi all,

I need help and advice

I have been invited to join a small team (doc and midwife) who are giving their services to help develop a centre in a small tribla village deep in the hill side of a developing country. They have just establsiehd a learning cnetre for the children but have not got any regualr teachers to hlep them. The plan is for me to go out there for 2-3 months to help establish some creative learning as well as basic numeracy amd english. It seems very exciting and i am thinking serioulsy of joining the team.

Numeracy equipment gathered seems to transecend language barriers but i find that the Jolly phonics and other equipment is not really suitable as the children will not have any point of referecnes to many of the printed matter. for example- jelly and even van. since theese chidlren will be miles away from the nearest town.

Any advice please and any books or secific materials for EAL would be welcome. I know that there is a wealth of expreince and knowledge wihtin this forum.

I think it would be good opportunity to use my own knowledge, broaden my experinece and give me the opportunity to teach/learn without all the paper work (OFSTED) that is invloved- actually do the teaching bec i enjoy doing it. :o

Any advice--mundia? Susan? and the rest of the Forum!!!!!

Cheers

Leo

Leo, what an opportunity but my first thoughts are what about your family?!

I'm flattered that you think I might be able to help because at this point in time, I cant actually think of very much except a mass spend in ELC or somwhere similar.

I would imagine that both Mundia and Jennyk might be able to help you more practically, as this would certianly seem to be within their experiences, unless I am very mistaken. However, Jenny has limited access to the computer and Mundia will also be off line for a couple of days so you will need to wait for their replies at the moment!

You've obviously lots of thinking to do, so good luck! :o

oh dear, I could write a book on this one!

Wonderful leo, it will Im sure be a wonderful expereicne for you.

Id love to know a little more about the lanaguages spoken in the village and whether or not English is used or spoken by the people there. Also whether or not the children have access to books, in any language. this will make a big difference to what i would recommend you take (or dont take) with you.

you will also need to consider the cultural nature of maths too, in my experience it isnt as universal as we like to think. Ill try to put some examples together to illustrate this for you.. Ill pm them if you like otherwise Ill run the risk of boring everyone to sleep!