Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parachute Games

Hi

Sorry I wasn't sure where to put this but as I'm a childmidner, thought I'd put it there!

I am currently studying for the NVQ3 in CCLD and I have my assessor coming monday to observe a physical activity!

I'm really struggling what to do because all i have come up with is target practice with balls, running, balancing etc.

I'd really like to do parachute games and have just sent my hubby out to buy one however I am looking for inspirtation of what to do with it so thought I'd pick everyone's brains on here as well as googling it!

The sticking point I have is that I am a childminder so there will only be me, and 3 children aged between 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 so it needs to be something where we can lift and support the parachute between us.

I've found a few which involve us sitting down and crawling under the parachute so going to try these but would love some inspiration from you lovely people too.

Thanks Jennie

If you have a fairly small parachute you could cover it with leaves then throw them up in the air. Lots of lovely words like up, down, in, out etc involved.

Rolling a ball around in a circle by tipping the parachute is good for gross motor skills.

One of our favourite's is 'Grand Old Duke of York'.

We walk around holding the parachute with one hand in a circle marching, then we stop, turn, hold with both hands and lift 'up' 'down' and then 'half way' and discuss how half way is in-between up and down as we sing. Good maths vocab.

If you have a fairly small parachute you could cover it with leaves then throw them up in the air. Lots of lovely words like up, down, in, out etc involved.

Rolling a ball around in a circle by tipping the parachute is good for gross motor skills.

you could lay the parachute on the floor call a colour out and get children to stand on that colour.If they was more children , when parachutes in the air you could call two childrens name ask them swap with each other they run under the parachute to the other person place. We put ball on the parachute and let it roll backwards, forwards,sideward calling out the ways its going . good luck .We always make our children remove their shoes befor stepping on parachute in doors .

Hi Jennie

We do things like sing songs, such as the Wheels on the bus, Here we go round the parachute.

We also have a music tape with things on such as The Blue Danube, Popcorn, Riding along (can't remember the full title), and other classical music and old pop songs. We have the small balls that are used in ball pools, you can get a big bag from Early Learning, that we put on the parachute and the children have to see how quickly they can get them all off. This one is particularly good if you can get hold of the Popcorn music.

Linda

oh you're all stars! thank you so much!

there are loads of options with just a few children so I'm sure we can cover a few things!

Thanks loads for your help!

Jennie

We have had balloons on our parachute at playgroup which was very popular with the children, and then they played with the balloons. The children were very excited.

Here have a look at this

Thanks for that Lorna - parachute games on Monday then - I'm ashamed to say we haven't used ours for ages - am I the only person who just sort of forgets about some equipment/apparatus/activities?

A good look through 'old plans' would be a good idea methinks!!!

Sunnyday

We used to love having teddy in the middle, bouncing him up and down singing the Teddy Bear song.

As there are only you and 3 children maybe you could attach one side of the parachute to a fence at about waist height to help for bouncy type games.

I must admit the first time we used a Teddy (or doll) the way it twists and bounces caused lots and lots of giggles from staff as well as children. xD

The parachute is also very useful as a tent / Den when not being used for 'active' games. :o

Have fun :(

Peggy

Teddy_Bear.doc

Guest jane707

Some lovely ideas there thank you guys!

We use a big blanket as a parachute when there are only a few of us.

I can take 2 corners and then 2 children hold one each. We do a lot of circle songs...

'here we go round the parachute, parachute, parachute, here we go round the parachute on a cold and frosty morning' is popular.

The children also enjoy bouncing beanie babies in the middle.

Good luck Monday :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)