Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holidays

hi i,ve friend who works in private setting contracted to do 30 hrs a week sometimes more, could someone please tell me if your bank holidays should be counted as your annual holidays .Has her employers deduct bank holidays from her holidays entitlement is this correct many thanks .

Guest Wolfie

How is her annual leave entitlement calculated - in days or in hours? I'm part time - 25 hours a week - and mine is calculated in hours.

During a week when there is a BH, it is considered that I have "worked" 5 hours on that day and so have 20 hours left to work during the rest of the week. So no, it's not counted as part of my annual leave but does affect how many hours I work that week...hope I'm making sense!

This was taken from business link web site which you can access on www.businesslink.gov.uk It is a great site to help out with lots of issues with employment. I hope this helps

"From 1 April 2009, a worker's statutory paid holiday entitlement is 5.6 weeks (28 days for a worker working a five-day week). This can include public and bank holidays. The entitlement for part-time workers is calculated on a pro-rata basis. Prior to 1 April 2009, the entitlement was 4.8 weeks."

:o

WE have just raised all our employees holiday entitlement to 28 days from 24 in line with government guidelines (they also get one day extra for every year of service) but as a result of this we are allowed to take back eight per year PROVIDED we pay them for B/H.

This was the original idea of the increases from 20 to 24 and then 24 to 28 so that everybody gets paid B/H

So many people are either not aware or flouting the law, whereas our LA has been reminding us of this since this time last year so we could make arrangements for this year when it came into force.

Also from April you cannot pay in lieu of holiday or roll it forward to the following year as that is illegal too, its now a case of use it or lose it.

Just my 4d worth

The token male

Tony

bank holidays can be taken as part of holiday entitlement if you wish to, also its up to wage payer if they want to include them as part of hol entitlement. full time get them paid without using as hol where i work but part time can choose to take as hol and get paid if they wish too

bank holidays can be taken as part of holiday entitlement if you wish to, also its up to wage payer if they want to include them as part of hol entitlement. full time get them paid without using as hol where i work but part time can choose to take as hol and get paid if they wish too

many thanks for all the replys i will pass this on .

hi i,ve friend who works in private setting contracted to do 30 hrs a week sometimes more, could someone please tell me if your bank holidays should be counted as your annual holidays .Has her employers deduct bank holidays from her holidays entitlement is this correct many thanks .

i was checking this the other day, they can be counted as annual holiday if she is paid for them. they are not obliged to pay bank holidays if they are not worked. if she is not paid she can take her full annual leave.