Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pacing The Floor Expectantly!

TODAYS THE DAY xD:(:( and the house is all excited

We are going to pick up our new puppy today. Tried to do the social rehousing of a dog in need but it's hasn't worked out so a chanced upon advert locally and we are getting a puppy.My much loved dog Toffee which I had since 7 weeks died aged 16, 9 years ago and its taken me this long to come around to getting another. The children were young and the thought of taking on a puppy was to stressful but now they are 12 and 15 and capable of walking, feeding, dog sitting etc (ok the novelty may wear off :( ) We were going to wait until retirement ...... :o

Anyway he's a 7 week old border terrier who will be tan/grizzle when grown. We are calling him Archie. We are busy puppy proofing downstairs and feel like expectant parents.We've read loads on the tinternet but any tips for a new puppywelcome????

Here he is ....

I'm so excited for you!!

My dog died in January after a very sudden ilness- and I hate being in the house alone the hols are the worst.

We were going to wait 'until retirement' too........ but we've decided we want one now, and a border terrier is top of the list at the moment, small dog - big character!!!

post more photo's when he arrives!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No advice, I am more of a cat person myself, but he sure is cute!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Dad got a puppy in September - "Jasper" and he was an adorable puppy!

But they grow!!

He is a cross between a springer and a cocker spaniel.

He is still gorgeous but not aaaaahhhhhhhh cute any longer!!!!

Enjoy!!

Oh he's lovely.

We lost our flat coat retreiver a year ago now and we still miss him so much. The girls both want another one but they are away at uni, so we will wait until retirement. That's my plan anyway!

But it's so hard to resist especially after seeing your photo biccy.

Have lots of fun with him, I'm so jealous

Thankfully we still have our cat which has out-lived two dogs!

jackie.

Oh bless - he is so cute! My dog is 4 years old now but remember when he went through that terrible chewing phase. My Kitchen table was new and i didnt want him chewing on the legs so we bought two cheap chairs (from argos) and put the nice chairs away upstairs and my other half cut downpipe tubing to size of the table legs and put this over the table legs so he couldnt ruin the legs! The dog did chew the cheap chairs but it didnt matter so we let him and he never chewed any other bits of furniture so if I ever get another dog that would be my top tip!

Have fun with your new puppy! Ems

Oh I am soooo jealous - my beautiful Border Collie died five years ago - it took such a long time to come to terms with our loss and like you and others have said we had decided to wait until retirement to have another dog - but I'm not sure I can wait that long!

My top choice would be ................. a Border Terrier - what great dogs they are!

Lucky. lucky you - hope he settles quickly for you and not too much chewing!

Lots of people use 'puppy crates' not sure what I think about that - does provide a sense of security maybe?

Do let us know how he is getting on and post more pics!

Sunnyday

How cute :(

I have a chocolate labrador (or should I say my husband has!) I'm trying to persuade hubby that a new friend is what Benjie needs as he's 2 yrs old and could do with a buddy to play with :o I'm hoping to get a puppy beginning of May, a patterdale terrier, as I want a small dog to cuddle on my lap. :(

I am a great fan of Ceasar Milan, "The Dog Whisperer", he says that basically good training is treating your dog like a dog and not a human being, to start as you mean to go on, firm boundaries, calm disposition, be the leader and your dog should be calm submissive. Just body posture can affect how your dog responds to you.

The above all sounds a bit serious but if you get the chance watch his programmes they are amazing what he does with dogs (and their owners!).

Have lots of fun, oh and ensure you get pet insurance xD

Look forward to seeing more pics.

Peggy

No advice to offer - just wanted to say how beautiful he looks, biccy.

And to MrsWeasley - the computer says NO! :o

Enjoy your puppy days - Archie will certainly keep you all on your toes!

Maz

Guest MaryEMac

How cute is he ? I envy you, we havn't had a dog for ages but it wouldn't be fair at the moment because of work. have a great time with him. :o

Mary

as expected he's slept, piddled, poo'd and slept again. He ate VERY well...ok he sat in his dinner to eat it :( .We've shopped again for his needs and that would be 3 times in 24 hours-kitchen roll, disposable cloths, milk, bacterial spray.We've been photographing him all day so it could get boring. When my other dog was a puppy you didn't photograph as much because of the time delay of finishing a film and expense so I have no pictures of him when he was young so want to record these early days.

I'm off out for the evening giving hubby time to bond with his new male family member. :o told the girls we need to keep dad on-side and believing the dog is his companion xD

Biccy he is gorgeous. My beautiful Westie died last year and I miss him so much. I think we are going to get another dog in the summer-I just miss having a dog around the house and all the lovely walks we used to have.

I hope you have great fun with him. Just give him plenty of things to chew on and shift anything you don't want chewing. Easier said than done st times as Jem chewed the staircase!!

Linda

Oh, he's lovely!

I've got an Archie but mine's a Scottie dog. He's stubborn, independent and fantastically loyal (and sits on my lap every evening for a cuddle!)

Hubby has a golden retriever/labrador cross, 18 months old, scatty and DEFINITELY blonde!!

Both dogs chewed as puppies and my advice would be to keep a close eye on your mobile phone chargers. 3 were eaten - 2 while plugged in! (I told you she was blonde! :o )

Nona

He got out of the kitchen over night so a bit of a panic, :o he's got his head stuck under the edge of the decking :( , he's been left alone for a couple of hours while we went to look for safety gates for the kitchen door xD (watched him through the letterbox when we came back and he was playing happily) He plays widely for 20 minutes then crashes for 2 hours but we are making sure he is returned to his basket to sleep. Hopefully we are doing everything right.He will be alone for a couple of hours 4 days a week so we are trying to let him entertain himself mid-day and make play time morning and evening

I'd forgotten how they make you laugh, make you warm inside when they look at you with their head on one side listening to you, make you stop doing other things and chill while you play with them, make it worth coming home because they are aways pleased to see you. I have someone to care about again who doesn't answer back with a wise crack, thinks black is the only colour available, is always right and throw a strop if things are not as they wish.

We were a bit worried when we realised the birth date we had been given meant he was only 6 weeks old (maybe they wanted the puppies gone before the Easter break??) He'll see the vet on Thursday so he maybe be able to tell and advise.

Edited by Guest

"I'd forgotten how they make you laugh, make you warm inside when they look at you with their head on one side listening to you, make you stop doing other things and chill while you play with them, make it worth coming home because they are aways pleased to see you. I have someone to care about again who doesn't answer back with a wise crack, thinks black is the only colour available, is always right and throw a strop if things are not as they wish."

That's exactly how I feel biccy. I miss Jem so much-he was a fantastic character, but I really miss having a dog around. Even now, when he has been gone for 9 months, I miss the "welcome home because I have missed you so much" wagging of the tail and the unconditional love they give you.

Archie is so cute and I know you are going to have the best of times with him.

Linda

Oooh, he's so gorgeous!

I have an Archie too, but he's a Boxer, big and slobbery, but love him to bits, although he was a horrendous puppy! He's now got to nearly 7, but there were times I could have sent him back (not really, but don't tell him that!)

We've also got a little Lab cross called Erin who is an absolute sweetie, she'll be 5 next week. We got her to keep Archie company as he had a lot of health problems, allergies and things, and he was depressed. We're still convinced Archie wouldn't have made it at one point if Erin hadn't been around! Bless her!

Enjoy your Archie and have fun!

:o