Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Construction Area

Hi everyone, I am looking to improve my construction area, and just wondered what everyone has in this area, apart from the actual construction materials. In our other areas of learning we have lots of 'supporting' resources on the walls around and hanging from the ceiling, such as alphabet lines, interactive number displays, real art work etc But the construction looks very bare! I am going to put up pictures of buildings etc and add some drawing/writing materials. Anyone got any other bright ideas?

Thanks xx

Guest LornaW

Saw these in a nursery I visited recently I loved the idea that the books were adult tyope books!

post-9053-1239210939_thumb.jpg

post-9053-1239210987_thumb.jpg

What do you think the children's opinion of the area is MrsL? I would come at it from a communication friendly spaces view point and bare is nearly the right word to describe that approach. Do you think the children need additional stimualtion in this area to enhance their play or could they value the lack of distraction which allows them to focus on what they are doing?

I think additional resources that can help to extend the play is a great idea, tape measures, spirit levels etc

Thanks for sharing all of these Carla Booth............the building site photos are fantastic!

I especially loved the young lady in her hard hat, building plans in one hand and hammer in the other! Just fab.

Maz

Lots of cardboard boxes, variety of sizes - the children always love to build with them.

Non-fiction books about buildings and materials.

Work benches, tools, hard hats, dressing up clothes, clipboards and building plans/ photos to copy.

Pictures of buildings / constructions - the bigger the better, they loved trying to construct the Great Wall of China!

Pictures of Bob the Builder characters and Bob the Builder comics.

I often try to set a challenge to encourage them to use this area, like who can build the biggest.....or work with a friend to construct........etc

Also have shelves / display area so that they can label their models and display them.

Thanks for sharing those.

Can I be checky and ask if anyone has done them for things like lego, duplo etc..

Thanks for those Carla. They where on my list of things to do! I am currently getting the children to take photos of their models to get others to copy. Would be interested if anyone had any for lego, duplo, mobilo, knex etc.

Thanks. xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)