Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Places To Eat London

Rea

I need to book a place to eat in London in August (a bit previous I know)

Does anyone have a favourite place or can you reccomend somewhere. We'll be seeing Les Miserables in Shaftsbury avenue. It doesnt have to be that close to the theatre, but does have to be really good food. :o

Rea - how lovely - haven't seen Les Mis - it's on my list of things to do before I die!!!

Long time ago - so I don't know if it's still there - hubby and I were treated to the most wonderful meal at a place called 'The Swiss Centre' - honestly some of the best food I've ever eaten.

I'm sure some of our 'London colleagues' will have some great ideas.

Enjoy!

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

Here I go again - replying to my own posts!

Rea - it is still there I just 'googled'.

Thought after my initial post - it might be horrendously expensive - as I said we were treated so I have no idea what the prices are like.

Sunnyday

The Swiss centre was superb but unfortunately isnt still there!

You're not far from China town though, if you like Chinese and there are all the usual eateries not far from or on Shaftesbury Ave. Covent Garden has some different Italian restaurants. Hard Rock Cafe is also nearby and The Rainforest Cafe. "Effies" does brilliant kebabs but isnt cheap, and is a little way away otherwise cant really recommend anywhere!

I managed to find one review of the Swiss Centre, definitly sounded good, the person writing said he licked his lips all the way home. Love the look of the Rainforest Cafe, unfortunatly its an anniversary meal for us and some friends so I need to find an upmarket place. So far I've gone through 42 pages on google restaurants and seen what can only be described, in my mothers words, as kagmag.

Strange combinations of food and a 12.5% service charge!! I really need somewhere that caters for all our tastes, steak, fish, veggie, chicken. Two places I looked at only served wine, I cant drink that, I'll be asleep before the pudding arrives. :o

Edited by Rea

Hi Rea,

I can recommend a few that aren't too far away. There is Cafe Fish on Rupert Street which has always been good. (they have moved in recent years so I haven't been to the new place). Chez Gerard also on Rupert Street. Soho Spice on Wardour Street is lovely if you enjoy Indian food. Mezza is a great Spanish restaurant also on Wardour Street. Browns - St Martins Lane (very nice). The Ivy (lol quite expensive and you need to book months in advance).

There is all the usual place around theatreland too- Wagamama, Pizza Express, Yo Sushi etc.

Hope that helps

Gill

A coupe of years ago we went to London for the **th birthday weekend of my lovely Manager. We went to this fab Italian place - served allsorts, will try to find out what it was called. Was very close to theatre, as well - not Les Mis, but round the corner - if you get my drift.

I have no real desire to see your show, but hope you have the best time. We fairly recently saw Phantom, Fantastic!! For my techie son's birthday, who was in his seventh heaven, appreciating all the techie stuff of it, as well. (Not inconsiderable - imagine the logistics of swinging up a fully working theatre from ruins - safely!!)

Sue

I'll second and third Wagamamas and you can never go wrong with a Brown's restaurant (they also have them in Oxford and Cambridge). There is a French restaurant near St Martin's Lane which is very nice but I'm afraid I can't remember it's name!

Enjoy!

Ooh Rea how timely, I'm off to London tomorrow to see Dirty Dancing, I'm so excited I've been packed for ages! lol

I'm not much help on where to eat as I'm not overly familiar with London but after my two day adventure I shall post again to let you know where (or possibly where not) to eat! I am staying in a Mayfair hotel so will let you know what the places round there are like, hope you have a good time!

Ive searched on trip advisor for ideas and found one called Goodmans Grills. Menue looks just what we would want but Browns also caught my eye.

Les Mis isnt my first choice either Sue, but the people we are going with have seen it twice, the first time dragged there kicking and screaming, but they said it was so good they booked to go back almost immediatly.

Hmmm...

May have to reconsider - No 1 (only!! lol) son really wants to see Lion King! (Actually, so do I... xD !!)

Sorry - Rea knows No 1 son is also quite old enough to sort his own leisure - freeloading ?? Maybe, but at least I get to see some decent stuff!!! :o

Sue

I don't usually eat in nice restaurants in London but quite a few years ago for my birthday my husband took me to the Ivy and then onto a show. It was the most wonderful meal I have ever tasted. I thought it was going to cost an arm and leg but it was not too bad as a one off. There were four of us and it cost £140 for the four of us including wine. More expensive than the pub down the road we usually eat in but a really lovely evening was had by all. I still talk about the tuna I ate there, it was delicious. Hope you find somewhere and have a lovely evening, mrsW.x

Hi I have been on the bateaux river cruise in London two times in the evening the first was for my birthday(40)then we took our daughter for her 16 the second time we upgraded we had champagne on arrival, sitting in the vip area, a waiter all night a bottle of wine for each person plus liquer, it consisted of a five course meal, to top it off you go down the thames and it was lovely seeing it all lit it, we also had a jazz singer, the food was beautiful. They also do dinner time cruises. Hope you have a lovely time

Sounds very nice stimmo, I organised something similar for my mom and dad a few years ago. They really enjoyed it but I dont quite trust hubby not to fall in. He has a thing about falling in water, does it far too often to be a fluke!

Sounds very nice stimmo, I organised something similar for my mom and dad a few years ago. They really enjoyed it but I dont quite trust hubby not to fall in. He has a thing about falling in water, does it far too often to be a fluke!

Definitely not worth the risk!

Sunnyday

Hmmm...

May have to reconsider - No 1 (only!! lol) son really wants to see Lion King! (Actually, so do I... xD !!)

Sorry - Rea knows No 1 son is also quite old enough to sort his own leisure - freeloading ?? Maybe, but at least I get to see some decent stuff!!! :o

Sue

Lion king is wonderful, well wothr seeing, would love to see it again.. very emotional night.. even OH who was not too keen said he would go again.

Inge