Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Meetings?

Guest Agyness

I would say most of our discussion goes on within sessions as the staff who work afternoon nursery with me are part time / and or go onto afterschool club when nursery finishes.

It would be tricky to leave important things that need saying until a meeting arose.

Sometimes as my staff work lunch club I discuss things with them when I should be off having my lunch!!!

Its where you can fit things in I think!!

Sorry

I was no help was I????!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Scarlettangel

we do same, discuss during the day,while setting up, clearing up, lunch time, notes on planning by all , as issues and ideas come up they are discussed and dealt with as appropriate..

leave formal staff meetings for any real issues or problems arising...

Inge

Guest Wolfie
leave formal staff meetings for any real issues or problems arising...

I think I know what you mean, but wouldn't you say that discussing the needs of individual children is a real issue? We're desperate to try and find some planned staff meeting time in the day, once a week, when at least SOME of the staff team can sit down and reflect on the provision for individual children, leading onto the planning for the following week.

I make sure that my lead staff with the two-year olds have an hour together during their overlap time and this works really well. They look at observations they've made and planning they need to take up. I work with the 3-4+ children so I chat with these staff about things they may have observed about 'my' children and give my two pennorth on things I may have seen about 'their' children more informally, during the session

I think I know what you mean, but wouldn't you say that discussing the needs of individual children is a real issue? We're desperate to try and find some planned staff meeting time in the day, once a week, when at least SOME of the staff team can sit down and reflect on the provision for individual children, leading onto the planning for the following week.

but we could not find any time in a day or week to regularly meet, and it had to be once very 6 weeks if lucky... what with working at the setting, second jobs which many staff needed to get a reasonable income, shifts, own children etc . Hence the need for xtra issues at staff meetings... children's needs discussed all the time no need to have set period for it... but it is different being a small setting with all level 3 staff who have worked together for a long time to larger settings or those with more staff/ staff turnover.

Inge

Guest Wolfie

Yep, I know exactly what you mean - and that's how we operated when I had my own, much smaller nursery. It's a matter of finding what works best for you in your individual situation, isn't it?

We have one 'formal' staff meeting every half term, for which all staff are paid. Alternate the days each time so no one person keeps coming in on their days off, always hold in the afternoon as we have no pm sessions. Anything else is dscussed informally as others do whilst setting up, duirng session (children permitting) whilst clearing up and sometimes after sessios. None of which is ideal as not all staff are in every day. In an ideal world I would love to have a staff meeting every week with all staff but as we cannot afford to pay everyone for this hour and even if we could some staff wouldn't want to keep giving up a day off just to come in for an hour in the middle of the day every week I cant see this ever happenning. I would love to have the same staff in every day for five days and then spend 2 afternoons per week doing paperwork stuff etc for all staff. But aint never gonna happen!

Actually I dont mean I want to get rid of part time staff I have, just would rather they all worked five sessios!!

Edited by lynned55

this is how we are one paid staff meeting per term (6 terms) and we then discuss throught the morning planning is added to a sheet on friday and i then input it onto planning for the following week

We've recently changed the way we do staff meetings cause there's never a time when everybody can do, not even evenings.

we have 1 or 2 extra staff on a tues pm, and alternate between a room leaders and management meeting one week, and room team meetings the next week. It does mean we're never all together, butthis way less confident practitioners speak in a small group and room leaders can support and offer advice to each other.

its going ok so far...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)