Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Head Lice

i would be interested to hear what other preschools do about dealing with children with headlice. do you send them home and allow them to return as soon as they have been treated, or do you allow them to stay. is there any hard and fast rules regarding this

If I sent home every child who had head lice I wouldn't have many children left!!!!! xD The way we are going at the moment I'm not sure how many staff would be in either!!! :o We would never exclude a child for having head lice.

When children start preschool we give a leaflet about head lice and how to treat them. Every half term we have a section on the newsletter reminding parents about the importance of checking regularly for lice and treating infestations.

It is one of those things that we have to live with and treat when need be!! :(

we are the same, we don't send the child home if we see or suspect a child has head lice however we suggest if they can tie back their hair. Also we normally then send a letter out about head lice so that parents are aware what to look for and how to treat it.

samfrostie :o

hi

it is seen as bad practice to send a child home who as head lice!

i had a similar situstion a few months ago were it seemed nearly every child had head lice. I put a display up on head lice and handed out some leaflets. it is important to make sure that the family is aware that everyone in the house hold must be treated, and to use individual towels, wash bed linen etc.

I could email you some leaflets and the information i used for my display if you like, it maybe of some use?

Jod x

There was a thread recently where someone had posted a letter for their GP for a free nitcomb on prescription - it was a modern one with different teeth - might be worth a quick forum check

We too don't send home children with head lice, but when it is the same ones ALL the time who then pass it to the other children and then we have a rain of complaints from parents I would like more powers re this!!!!!!

Maybe old fashioned, but some people DO NOT take any responsibility at all for their child's head lice and I think

there should be something we can do to prompt these parents into acting responsibly for all concerned.

Taking a comb to a childs hair daily would save SO much trouble!!

Edited by Scarlettangel

We don't send them home either. We let parents know that we have a case of head lice and that they should all check their children's heads.

It usually works and touch wood we don't very often have outbreaks. (hope I haven't spoken too soon!!!!!!) :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)