Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Term Time Contract

No, we've never had this issue, it states in their contract that they take holidays during the school breaks. We make it very clear upfront. If staff want to take a holiday day here and there for whatever reason then they flexi it amongst themselves - arranging their own cover. No salaries are changed, they do session cover for each other

we are the same as Cait i try not to get involved withstaff session cover, they come to me when they have sorted it and then when i have checked it out for ratio/ qualifications etc i say yes or no. same with holiday cover not often do staff have time off for holiday during term but as session cover they are responsible to find cover.

Guest Wolfie

Are all the staff fulltime during the term or do you have some flexibility? Most of my staff did part time hours and arranged cover between themselves if one of them wanted time off - it usually worked fine.

we too allowed time off term time but they always arranged their own cover which was usually swapped sessions, did mean that some staff worked full time the week they were away but then the returning staff then had to work full time on return, so they effectively had a week off too!

we did this because of the cost of holidays etc , but most tried hard not to do it... except me ( I always had first week in Sept off :o so they began a new term / year without me xD just as well they were good at the job :( )

Perhaps as a compromise you could suggest she finds cover then it could be discussed again

Inge

I don't allow time off for holidays during term time unless it's a special occasion-such as a special wedding anniversary or birthday. This is written into the contracts and explained when they first start.

If they do want time of staff clear it with me first and then sort out cover amongst each other.

Linda

We have it written into our contracts that any holidays taken during term time is at the discretion of or committee. In reality we're the same as OP's, staff swap any odd days they want/need off and no money changes. I really wouldn't be happy (and would make it quite clear)about staff taking 2 weeks off during term time, the fact that it's unpaid is neither here nor there. If somebody gets 12+ weeks a year holiday of which 4.8 are paid (or 5.6) then quite frankly I think to take a further 2 weeks is taking the mickey. Granted there will always be special circumstances and these aren't a problem, with 8 staff if we all took 2 weeks holiday then that would be nearly half the academic year gone. I realise that holidays cost more in school holidays but that's just unfortunate.

Edited by lynned55