Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting A New Setting

Our church pre-school is not in great shape.. a practically non-existent committee, tax problems almost sorted but hanging over our heads, complete lack of consideration for our needs within the hall, about to lose our garden to building work and not enough use of hall to offer extra services, 15 hour funding or fundraising events.. the list goes on. I took it over 2 years ago and although we have turned it round from almost closing I have a dream of running our own small pre-school/daycare elsewhere. I have 3 staff and they are all keen for us to stick together as we are such a fanstastic team (which is what keeps us going, and me loving my job). My thoughts are finding some land and trying to find a grant or funds for a portacabin, another girls idea is to actually take our pre-school and move it elsewhere, keeping the same name etc..

The more I think about it or look at it the more confused I get... Any thoughts anyone? x

Our church pre-school is not in great shape.. a practically non-existent committee, tax problems almost sorted but hanging over our heads, complete lack of consideration for our needs within the hall, about to lose our garden to building work and not enough use of hall to offer extra services, 15 hour funding or fundraising events.. the list goes on. I took it over 2 years ago and although we have turned it round from almost closing I have a dream of running our own small pre-school/daycare elsewhere. I have 3 staff and they are all keen for us to stick together as we are such a fanstastic team (which is what keeps us going, and me loving my job). My thoughts are finding some land and trying to find a grant or funds for a portacabin, another girls idea is to actually take our pre-school and move it elsewhere, keeping the same name etc..

The more I think about it or look at it the more confused I get... Any thoughts anyone? x

im with you there - i have 5 staff that want to come with me :oxD

i'd be very interested in this thread as this something i would love to do, i'm in the same position as you. i have approached my LEA but they say that there is no grants available for us, i have also tried finding some land but so far without much success...i have contacted the local council about hiring a hall but they are all sooo far away from where we are now i would loose all my children/parents i have now.....be very interested to see what others say.... as i also have this dream....

Just a thought why land????? why not a house in the village/town???? You could put together a business plan and go to the bank as a small buiness. Start small and get bigger adding extenshions ect when the moneys there. You could offer all sorts of services inc after schools and breakfst clubs, be open the hours you choose.

Sorry for rambeling but i get carried away. lol

Kat

i have an appointment with bank manager week after next :o - they sent me a sage start up business disc to put in lappy - its great. Also Business link hav sent me a big pack of thngs to look through/ do which is also excellent xD

I have set up an account with Business Link. I have been offered the use of a beautiful paddock since my last post. It has no planning permission (already applied before) but I wonder if there is a clause in planning permission such as a limited number of weeks per year it is in use or something? My next task! Still pondering moving the actual playgroup or starting afresh?

What an interesting post i work in a pack up setting and have done for three years now and in the future I would love to set up my own pre-school in a purpose built building. The lovely thought of not having to put everything away and have so much more on the walls and leaving equipment out instead of spending hours packing it away in a week.....oh what a lovely dream :)

what a lovely opportunity strawberryserge if there are no problems with the paddock and planning permission :)

samfrostie :o

I had a copy of Nursery management sent to me last week, there are adverts in it for purpose built nurseries which are a bit like portacabins. Would something that wasnt fixed need planning permission? It mght be a place to look.

Think if it needs water supply and sewage it would need planning as it then becomes a permanent structure, have problems around here putting in stables for horses if they have running water.

In our case it is to do with not extending the village , and letting developers have some argument about building in fields so extending it. lots of issues where we are, managed to stop development of local fields several times now, and kept the village boundary so far.

Inge

You should be able to access some funding - we have just got £12,000 to help start up our second nursery through 'surestart'. Try speaking to your local authority again. Obviously that was nowhere near enough for such a large project, but I'm looking for more this April and will hopefully get the same again!

We get the keys to the building this week and then the work starts, with the nursery opening on the 1st September!

Good luck with your project, if you want any specific advice, just ask.

Edited by FFL

WE wouldhave funds available in our area for starting or extending our practise. WE can (and are) put in bids from Capital Funding grant. Our EY's have been given 3 million over 3 years to allocate to PVI sector. We have no outdoor spac so are applying for money to create one. But I know of one group that is applying for a new buildng.