Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stroppy Parents

Why do parents think they can talk to you just as they like and yet would complain like mad if I spoke to them in that way!!!!. I'm so absolutely cross about one particular parent. I have taken over the class from another teacher as there are quite a few specail needs and behavioural problems which don't appear to have been addressed before. I keep asking for adivice from SENCO ( I am an NQT too!) but not much happens. Both time I have spoken to this parent he is really rude and deffensive, claiming I don't care and the last thing was 'you're the teacher what do you want me to do?' when I asked him to have a word with the child about putting things in her mouth! If I didn't care I wouldn't bother telling him would I!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo mad. Do they think I enjoy having to keep checking when I have 26 other children in the class and I am actually trying to teach his child something. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I'm mad as **********!!!

Guest Wolfie

Agreed, there's no need for rudeness at any time really is there...hope you manager to calm down and enjoy your weekend!

I've got a meeting with a stroppy parent next week..her complaint is along the lines of the fact that we're not preparing or equipping her child for school in September with all our "free play" ideas - he's not LEARNING anything and it's going to be SUCH a culture shock in September when he has to sit down, be quiet and do as he's told!

Any good phrases or quotes to use in my "conversation" with her...although I think I'll be doing quite a lot of listening!

Sorry Kathy, I've hijacked your thread a bit! :o

Lol no worries! I feel a lot better for having ranted a bit and being soothed by everyone here. I'll try not to take it too seriously (or myself for that matter!) and just feel sorry for the parent instead. There..........time for a glass of red. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Hi Wolfie- went on great course recently with Sally Featherstone and she said that if anyone ever questions the amount of child initiated learning you have got going on- i.e. if they are implying it's too much- then you are to point out to them that it is during these free times that the brain is practising what it has been learning and that during these practise sessions, myelin is being laid down in teh brain and this is the fatty substance that makes things become hard wired into the brain. This is why EYFS statuatory guidance is for a balance of adult led and child initiated activities so that young brains are given this opportunity- practise makes perfect.

Hope this helps with your stroppy mum on Monday- blind her with science!

We were broken into 2 times last weekend (but thats another story!!) They smashed through the automatically openning 'front' door. The glass was replaced only them to find out that it still didn't work and that the whole door needs replacing. We have been admitting parents and visitor around the corner through a firedoor and through the staff room.

One parent failed to let the secretary complete explaining through the glass that she couldn't let her in, that the door was broken and could she go around the corner to the next door please before letting rip with the most vile stream of expletives and threating body language (in front of her own children) xD:(

We are still awaiting the particle transporter to allow to admit parents through solid objects :o

We were broken into 2 times last weekend (but thats another story!!) They smashed through the automatically openning 'front' door. The glass was replaced only them to find out that it still didn't work and that the whole door needs replacing. We have been admitting parents and visitor around the corner through a firedoor and through the staff room.

One parent failed to let the secretary complete explaining through the glass that she couldn't let her in, that the door was broken and could she go around the corner to the next door please before letting rip with the most vile stream of expletives and threating body language (in front of her own children) xD:(

We are still awaiting the particle transporter to allow to admit parents through solid objects :o

Excellent.

Its a shame that they are everywhere.

We have one particulary rude man who never says good morning and insists on walking round the room in his shoes when everyone knows shoes arent allowed in baby room. Last week I said 'shoes daddy' and he said 'Oh, tut tut' he dripped sacasm. If I could put my hands round his neck I gleefully would. But my dad taught me to take no notice of what other people say or think, to let it go in one ear and out the other. I often find myself laughing to myself. Its what I use my blog for- ranting in quiet.

Take heart kathyscitt, you are not alone :o

I've got a meeting with a stroppy parent next week..her complaint is along the lines of the fact that we're not preparing or equipping her child for school in September with all our "free play" ideas - he's not LEARNING anything and it's going to be SUCH a culture shock in September when he has to sit down, be quiet and do as he's told!

Any good phrases or quotes to use in my "conversation" with her...although I think I'll be doing quite a lot of listening!

after quite a few years of doing this job, i forget that we get to this time of year and some parents get jittery about the whole School thing, this week we have had 2 mothers saying why aren't we sitting their child down all session to do Writing, not playing!!, the ironic thing is that the two children are not the remotist bit interested in sitting for any length of time and i bet when they are at home they don't spend any quality time even sharing a good story book with their parent! :o , i often invite these vocal parents to come in and spend a session with us to see what goes on but funnily enough they are the first ones to drop their children off and rush off!!!!! maybe we need to bring back some parents from previous years that have gone through transition to school and get them to talk to these parents, it's not the children that seem to find it so hard it's their parents, if only they understood the bigger picture!!!!

good luck with your parent next week Wolfie you know that your doing the best thing for your children you really shouldn't have to go down this route but you'll say the right things and then do it again with the next one!!!!!!!

Years ago we invited parents in to play with dough, paint, bricks etc. A member of staff was on hand the whole time to talk about what the children were larnign through the play, we loinked all the activities to the learning outcomes, and most were good enough to acknowledge they had no idea that play could be abou learing in quite that way.

Good luck Wolfie. :o

There are loads of peices to quote in the EYFS of course but one of my favourites is attached..Unfortunately I cant remember what book it came from (maybe 'threads of thinking'?) but it sums it up nicely and I have given this to some of the more persistent parents who ask when we are going to 'teach' their child to write, and that they should be sitting down etc...3_when_3.pdf

Thanks, that does look useful. I think he best thing we can do to prepare children for school is to encourage them to be independent, enquiring and sociable beings who are happy and confident

Guest Wolfie
Thanks, that does look useful. I think he best thing we can do to prepare children for school is to encourage them to be independent, enquiring and sociable beings who are happy and confident

And WHY is that so hard for some parents to understand and accept???