Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Full New Crbs Before Starting Work?

I know once the ISA kicks in (possibly in October 09??) everyone will need to be vetted before they start work, paid or unpaid, whether they are working under supervision or not. But at the moment, can staff still start work and we process the CRB application whilst they work under supervision?

thanks,

A

Guest colechin

I make sure that everyone who comes in contact with our children has a CRB done. Thats committee, unpaid helpers, new staff.

I still allow them to work while the CRB is being proceed, but not unsupervised and also no toileting duties.

Hope this helps

Hi anju

We are the same as colechin, staff can start work before being CRB cleared, but would not be left unsupervised and would not be expected to carry out duties such as nappy changing, toileting, changing clothes etc.

This is to safeguard the staff member as well as the children.

Im wondering what impact that will have on the many settings that have rota mums helping or in schools where parents go in to hear children read are all these people going to be CRB checked even if they are not left alone with the children?

we ask all parents if they are able to help out for emegency cover in case of staff illness and this has always been the case but these rota mums are not CRB checked because they often only help out once in the whole time their child attends the group so its pointless to fill in the forms for a one off helper and we always have enough staff to cover the basic staff ratios but its nice to have that extra pair of eyes in the sessions

so I need to get all the possible rota mums CRB checked just in case I might need to ask them to help out

Im wondering what impact that will have on the many settings that have rota mums helping or in schools where parents go in to hear children read are all these people going to be CRB checked even if they are not left alone with the children?

we ask all parents if they are able to help out for emegency cover in case of staff illness and this has always been the case but these rota mums are not CRB checked because they often only help out once in the whole time their child attends the group so its pointless to fill in the forms for a one off helper and we always have enough staff to cover the basic staff ratios but its nice to have that extra pair of eyes in the sessions

so I need to get all the possible rota mums CRB checked just in case I might need to ask them to help out

This was queried by a comm member so i called OFSTED. They said not necessary to CRB check mums so long as they were never left unsupervised with children. We do as others do with staff. Not left alone or toileting. Mind you it is taking ages for the CRB checks to come through :o

Having just attended the Safer Recruitment Training Course (COMPULSORY for at least 1 person per setting from sept), I am a little concerned over the previous posts with regard to the info that OFSTED is giving out.

We were told that ALL persons including volunteers MUST be ISA registered from October, having said that, as October is when ISA is introduced nobody will have an ISA niumber before then, and of course you will be able to employ people even if they don't have one 'provided' they are applying for one!

Crazy I know, but as was pointed out to us at present you should'nt employ anybody without a CRB check but we do and then apply for it after and make them 'subject to satisfactory background checks', being supervised and no nappy duties etc.

With regard to CRB checks from Oct it is included into the ISA registration so you will not need to do them seperately.

Just my 4d worth

The Token Male Childcare Worker

Tony

Having just attended the Safer Recruitment Training Course (COMPULSORY for at least 1 person per setting from sept), I am a little concerned over the previous posts with regard to the info that OFSTED is giving out.

We were told that ALL persons including volunteers MUST be ISA registered from October, having said that, as October is when ISA is introduced nobody will have an ISA niumber before then, and of course you will be able to employ people even if they don't have one 'provided' they are applying for one!

Crazy I know, but as was pointed out to us at present you should'nt employ anybody without a CRB check but we do and then apply for it after and make them 'subject to satisfactory background checks', being supervised and no nappy duties etc.

With regard to CRB checks from Oct it is included into the ISA registration so you will not need to do them seperately.

Just my 4d worth

Tony

Hi

I can understand the volunteers as eg students we do apply for CRB as they will be having "regular" contact. But for parent rota as it is not classed as regular contact ie possibly 2 times per term then OFSTED said not necessary.

Just my 4d worth

Tony

Ok, from other posts on here I have gleaned that

ISA has been delayed again until July 2010, at last count

and even with this we must follow EYFS welfare requirements which ask for full CRB and all replies so far have said this is in addition to the ISA....

see recent discussions HERE well worth a read if you missed it

So many conflicting stories and advice from different places, wish they would get their act together :o

Inge

Hi

I can understand the volunteers as eg students we do apply for CRB as they will be having "regular" contact. But for parent rota as it is not classed as regular contact ie possibly 2 times per term then OFSTED said not necessary.

I can see where you're coming from Marley, but what was pointed out to us in this training was that it was ANY volunteer whatsoever. The idea being that if they have ISA registration and included CRB check then the opportunists would not get through the safeguarding net.

As was pointed out to us you will NEVER exclude the determined individual, but we CAN make it as difficult as possible but the only way to achieve that was to vet EVERYBODY regardless of employed, volunteer, parent helper, etc.

Just my 4d worth

Tony

I can see where you're coming from Marley, but what was pointed out to us in this training was that it was ANY volunteer whatsoever. The idea being that if they have ISA registration and included CRB check then the opportunists would not get through the safeguarding net.

As was pointed out to us you will NEVER exclude the determined individual, but we CAN make it as difficult as possible but the only way to achieve that was to vet EVERYBODY regardless of employed, volunteer, parent helper, etc.

Just my 4d worth

Tony

Bang goes parent help then...oh and the student cant come in that still hasnt got her CRB check that she applied for 6 weeks ago?!! And what about physios, speech therapists etc...are they CRB checked (Im orry I REALLY dont know th answer to that one?). Seeing as ISA has been postponed then its still the CRB check and waiting for them. We had one member of staff that had come and gone before we even got her CRB it was taking that long!

And what about agency staff. We had OFSTED when we had agency in and was pulled up on the fact that although she was CRB checked should she really be alone with the children? Supervisor said didnt have much choice seeing as there was only 3 of us(incl. agency)...one outside,..one in the toilet so she had to be alone!

Edited by marley

Hmm, very conflicting advice from everywhere- The ISA website says (or it did last week) that although CRB's would be included within the registration if we came under a regulating body such as Ofsted, then they (Ofsted) would almost certainly still want enhanced CRB's

Marley, I'm with you- there will go all our parent help- bad enough trying to get committee and students CRB'd (current students CRB was applied for in Nov- finally came through beg of this month. TMG blamed local police force- said they were taking too long, also backlog at CRB) Ofsted have told me that if our committee are happy with parent helpers not being CRB’s then that was up to them as long as they were prepared to take the responsibility for it.. If all volunteers etc have to be reg with ISA then what happens to the parent who wants to visit? or who stays every day for a month because her child won’t settle? I suppose as they aren't strictly volunteers they won’t count? All irrelevant anyway as this has now been delayed for so long

My goodness, can you imagine if we had to wait until the CRB was actually through before someone started working? We would have closed down years ago! So I really hope when the ISA does get off the ground they are faster

thanks for the replies. we do the same - apply for CRBs and in the meantime no unsupervised contact or toileting/nappy duties.

some councils have started not allowing people to start work until CRBs come through. we would close down if we had to do this, like you Lynne!