Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Liquids

Hello. Strange question I know but does anyone know of a liquid I can mix with oil and water. We have shown the children that oil and water can't mix and have them in a bottle which the children can shake to mix and then watch them seperate. We were wondering if there was a third liquid we could add to show different levels of density. Would adding alot of salt to the water change the density. I'm assuming it would but will it then mix with the water thats already in there. This disscussion has come out of some marbling we were doing today which the children loved.

Thanks for yor help.

Jodes

If you put washing up liquid in you'll create an emulsion as the detergent allows the oil and water to mix

Oh - and congratulations on your first post - and welcome to the forum!

Edited by Cait

if you do the food colour thing try baby oil as it is clear and you see it move better. We sealed our bottle , used blue colour and when you move it it looks like the sea moving, fascinating to watch .

Inge

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, syrup works.

Then I left it out for the children all week with loads of empty bottles and an array of media for them to experiment with. They were fascinated by it all.

We even went down the 'reversible' and 'irreversible' change route, and trying to get glitter back out of the water and guessing whether we'd be able to get the sugar 'back out' again etc... really great activity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)