Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Change From Sessional Care To Day Care

We are currently a playgroup that runs for three hours each morning. One of our parents is pushing for us to extend our opening hours. Am I right in saying that if we do this without a break during sessions that we would have to register for full day care?? But if the children went home for lunch we would still be classed as sessional care. Also if we were to have the children over lunchtime would we need to have rest facilities? Just trying to get all my facts straight before the next meeting as none of the staff want to extend our opening hours but feel that we are being pushed around by one parent who is very vocal!!!! Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Hi

We changed from sessional to full so that we could run 5 hour sessions. It was easy to do if you want to, and there's lots of good advice somewhere else on the forum. You need to have an area that the children can use to rest and be quiet but doesn't have to have beds etc. Our parents have loved the change, but the staff prefer it too as it seems to take up less time than 2 x 2.5 hour sessions.

Hope this helps

Caro

I work in a sessional pre-school at the moment we have a morning and afternoon session. For us currently it means the children have to go home for lunch or similar-sit in the car and have lunch etc. This is for insurance purposes as the setting is not insured to have that child on the premises with the pre-school staff over that period.

For a few parents this has caused problems as it means they have to come out of work or get somebody to sit with their child over the half hour lunch period. This is something for you and your staff to consider. It could be that parents link up together and take it in turns to do the lunch time period. Or it may be that you need to change to longer sessions, I know some settings have chosen to do that and I'm sure there is lots of advice if you wish to do that.

Another point is if this is just one parent is there enough demand for you to open your settng for longer hours? Our afternoons are often quieter than mornings so fiancially is it worth opening. Depends on your individual setting.

Hope this helps.

samfrostie :o

Edited by samfrostie

good advice already, we went full day last Sept.

It is done by a variation in registration from big O, and easy.

without this , is you remain sessional you have to have a period of time with no children in your care, but to be honest it is so easy to change to full day , particularly since EYFS that it seemed to us not necessary to put parents through the collecting and lunch in cars etc.

Our Insurance did not change as we were insured for all day/ 2 sessions a day anyway , and the major cost was hire of hall and staff for an extra hour a day.

You will need to sort out somewhere for rest if children want it but this can be a few cushions in a quiet area, lunch, how to store and serve it, we did packed lunched provided by parents with an ice block in a cool bag, which we stored in a cold cupboard until needed.

And we did a daily timetable to show how we would run the longer sessions, staff them, staff breaks etc.

It really was easy, honest

Ofsted gave us advice and help on how to change

Inge

Don't forget everyone that the 15 hours and flexibility will be in for September 2010 which is just around the corner so what ever you make in changes think in advance so that you don't have to change again.

Steph

We were told by our EY's team that the single funding formula along with 15 hour funding starts from April 2010, as this is the start of the new financial year it makes more sense. However for anyone who has to make changes to their hours rather awkard as it is in middle of academic year.

I was told by my EY advisor that the rules over sessional and daycare have changed and that providing that care is provided for 45 weeks or less then groups can increase session hours (inform ofsted) but still be classed at sessional I dont have the requirements to hand tocheck the details but wondered if has anyone else heard this or clarify what is actually meant?

I was told by my EY advisor that the rules over sessional and daycare have changed and that providing that care is provided for 45 weeks or less then groups can increase session hours (inform ofsted) but still be classed at sessional I dont have the requirements to hand tocheck the details but wondered if has anyone else heard this or clarify what is actually meant?

Anything over 4 hours needs Ofsted's variation. They no longer class it as 'full daycare', but the rules still apply ie rest areas, staff area, staff toilets etc. EYFS doesn't mention Full DC & Sessional DC any more.

Edited by Guest

hi have to agree with mikee we have just changed to the old term of full day care we had to ask for a variation . It took ages and several phone calls and 3 letters yet another group in our area only took 6 weeks. It was too late for this year but for Sept we will be up and running.

sue

Hi Zigzag

We are registered for extended hours at our pre-school 9am - 1.30pm. However, bear in mind that the group has to

be on both the child care registers and you will also need to employ an EYP by 2010 (Statutory requirement, unless they

have extended this date again!). We are actually looking into reducing our session back to just 3 hours to avoid this hurdle.

dottyp

thought eyp for full daycare was 2015, and children's centres 2010 ( but we did have one currently in training)

and we were only on one register, but only take from 3 -5 years

Inge

We used to do a morning and afternoon with parents of children attending both coming in just to sit with them for the 30 min lunch because our hands were tied 'for insurance purposes' but now they have changed the daycare umbrella and we are all under it so now we are allowed to watch the children in our new 'lunch club' ourselves. Had to inform both Ofsted and our insurance policy but there were no hitches.. it was easy!

thought eyp for full daycare was 2015, and children's centres 2010 ( but we did have one currently in training)

Yes, you're right - 2015 for full day care settings.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)