Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys Again!

Rather than sending the whole learning journeys home for parents to fill in, as I am so worried they won't come back again. I was wondering whether anyone had devised a form for their parents to write on, stick photos on etc.. Then you could just send the piece of paper home and stick it in the learning journey when it comes back. The parents can come in and look through the journey at any time at end of session rather than send it home.

And if the piece of paper doesn't come back you haven't lost anything! Does anyone else do this and if so has anyone got a blank form they would be willing to share with me for ideas. Hope what I am trying to say makes sense and Thank you.

Why not just ask for photos from home so you can put them in yourself? We have pages which parents fill in, but also pages for photo's from home which we stick in - we have a constant reminder in the newsletter for them

We used to have 'WOW' moment sheets which the parents took home and completed. I would never send home the learning journeys in case they got lost or forgotten, eaten b the dog, ripped by the baby etc etc

We encourage parents to come in on a regular basis to view their child's profile and speak to

them on a daily basis about things that have happened outside pre-school.

I hadn't thought of asking parents to bring photographs from home but think that's a really good idea

and might introduce this to our setting :o

dottyp

Hi - we do send ours home, and yes sometimes they are forgotton, but on the whole we have not as yet had one lost - some of our parents have really taken on board the concept - I sometimes given them to have over half term so they can take photographs of the activities or events they have been on - some of them are wonderful with parents taking photographs and even creating their own observations and sticking them in their learning journey - this is only a minority of parents, but I am hoping that we can increase the parents input over time.

I think it is like everything all settings work in various ways no right or wrong way.

Dot

We have a Family Link sheet. It is ver plain and is used for many different reasons. Some people record holidays /significant events. Sometimes people record a child's birthday party/celebration. Sometimes it is a visit to grandparents, given up a dummy, slept in own bed, got dress themselves etc. We found giving out forms with any writing on it made parents intimidated. It works perfectly for us!! We used the idea from a child who came over from Newzland. The most amazing Learning Journey Book I ever saw!!

Family_Link_sheet.doc

What a great idea, simple but effective. Would you mind if I tried this in my setting?

Please help yourself, I have had so many excellent resources from this site it is nice to give something back!! :o

What a lovely simple sheet, just the sort of thing I was looking for. If you don't mind I would like to use it too. Thank you for this and all the good advice once again. I don't know what I did before I found this forum. The only annoying thing is Essex had membership for two years before I got to know about it. Luckily they have just renewed us for another year, thank goodness!!

not sure what its meant to look like but i only get an outline and title - am i doing something wrong?

No, that's what it is. :o If you reread Shiny's post she explained it was very plain as something with a lot of text on was off putting to many parents. xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)