Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recipe For Making Soup

What kind of soup are you after? Ask them to chop up loads of different veggies and whack them in a big pan with a veggie stock cube. Whiz it with a blender or pound it a bit (when everything's soft) with a masher, thicken it with a bit of cornflour if you really want to. Season or herbs if you fancy. Anything goes

Have you tried a google search? I would suggest that you experiment with just whatever vegetables you have to hand, if the children are involved, they are more likely to eat it, in my experience. It's easy peasy. I've even made soup with frozen mixed veg when I've been caught out. Last week I did an interesting one with just carrots and parsnips - sweated an onion off first in a little oil then added the chopped veg and a pint of stock and just left it simmering till Mike got home then I gave it a whizz and we ate it - it was surprisingly sweet!

Although hubby is a master chef, I can just about manage the basics for survival when it comes to cooking. :wacko: So, I was very brave attempting veg soup at preschool. We all (children and staff) went to the local shop and bought a variety of veg, came back to preschool, peeled them, chopped them then put them in a large saucepan with water and a couple of stock cubes. 20/30 minutes later (sorry don't know exactly how long as I designated this 'cooking' part to one of my staff xD ), we drained the water then put the mushy veg into the smoothie maker, all the children had a go at pressing the buttons, 'mix', 'blend' and 'smooth'. They then each took a turn to turn on the tap (on the smoothy maker) and pour the lovely :o green looking 'soup' into each of their individual small plastic bowls. EVERY single child ate all their soup, as it happened this was at about the same time the parents started to arrive for pick up. Some of the parents had to wait whilst their child had seconds. :rolleyes: Quite a few parents were gobsmacked, especially when they saw the 'greeness' of the soup, saying, he/she never eats soup at home. :(

A whole mornings 'full group' activity, lasting 3 hours. xD:(

I can't for the life of me remember which particular vegetable made the soup go green, one of the boys called it the 'Incredible Hulk' food. :(

So, if I can do it, anyone can. Have fun, let us know how it goes.

Peggy

We make veg soup and just bung anything in - children chop up what they can (we usually part cut carrots and other hard thick veg so that its possible for them to cut them safely. We add stock cubes, water and cut for as long as it takes (or longer if we're busy, it doesn't seem to matter too much!) When it's cooked we normally let the children try some 'chunky soup' before we liquidise it. We usually find even children who won't eat veg will eat their chunky soup - we then liquidise what's left and children can try this. It's amazing that quite a few children actually say they prefer the 'chunky' soup.

we always made soup at around harvest time, calling it harvest soup.

it was never the same 2 years running as we asked children /parents to supply a vegetable suitable for soup.. whatever came in we used it...

some wonderful concoctions some years another ended up as carrot soup.

all we did was chop up the veg and add a vegetable stock cube and water to cover I used a pressure cooker to cook it in batches, so we had soup very quickly. we did not liquidise it but had it chunky.

Occasionally we made bread the day before so we could eat it with the soup...

I must admit to never using a recipe for soups, just different combinations of veg , stock cube and water to cover, liquidise if I want a smooth soup.. never needed to add anything else except perhaps some salt and pepper.

You could try a combination of things like leek and potato, broccoli and cauliflower,

and my fave is apple celery and tomato.(equal quantities with chicken stock).. this does need sieving as I cook it with all the bits in it and sieve them out after it is cooked.

Inge

Ha - you beat me to it Inge! I was just about to say, make sure you have a pan of broccoli and stilton on the go for the adults!

Ew not for me thank you. I'd rather have my stilton on crackers thank you... :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)