Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Per Inspection Result

Hi

Last week we had a PER inspection (mini ofsted that the school pay for to make sure everything is up to standard) The outcome was good. The PER lady came into nursery and liked the environment and said it reflected children's work in a colourful environment. We are fortunante to be able to use the school hsll for PE. Therefore two family groups (26) children were in the hall changing shoes removing loose clothing and warming up by moving around the hall in various ways discussing heart beat and then dancing with scarves to make a rainbow. Cool down time and out all in about 25 mins with 4 adults.

The other 26 children were in the nursery having music time. We treied to have music time with 13 children and the other 13 accessing the environment but all the chilsren came and sat down. They strated off with a wake up shake up session. Then sang along to rainbow song and incey wincey spider talked about and used actions about how to make a rainbow and then palyed instruments some representing the sun and some the rain and then together to represent the rain they were actually reading the symbol off the iWB and stopping when they saw a balnk page the children did very well. This was with 4 adults including myself who was leading. The inspector said that i had met the four principles of the EYFS the children were involved no child was passive but she wanted them to use the whole environment. This only happens for one session a week one mornin session and 1 aft session. the groups change over and then take part in either pE or music. All other session they have family group time, focus act, free flow indoor/outdoor and ind activities.

I think this is a really progressive session and the children are engaging and achieving but will it cause hastle for me if Ofsted suddenly walk in on a no notice inspection. Can you suggest a different way of undertaking these activities. Going into the hall prepares the children fro transition into reception.

Thank you looking forward to your replies.

Because she said it was too structured and she expected children to be taking part in ind focus etc ctivities all the time during every session.

ah - well as long as you can justify your ratio of adult:child led activities over the week perhaps you'll get away with it - or you could claim it's child initiated as they have asked to do it. LOL!!!!

Someone suggested that I stop doing PE sessions as we have indoor/outdoor and do music in family groups. I feel this would be a shame as the parents are involved they bring in their children's pumps each week and the children really enjoy the sessions and now are familiar with the routines. I feel the children enjoy it but am worried that it may have an impact on the outcome of ofsted report. do you feel it is too structured .

We use the hall once a week for each of our sessions of nursery.

However to me it is not about preparing them for reception!

We use the hall and its space.

We familiarise ourselves with using a different room in the school.

We have fun!

We do not put on a PE kit.

Previous experience showed us that it turned out not to be beneficial to anyone at 3 yers old having to take off clothes and put others on and then do the same at the end of a session!!!!!!

It took up so much time and with 2 staff it could be frustrating all round.

Previous staff had felt it was good to get them ready for reception and so started this off!!

I appreciate that some children need practice with clothing but not on a grand scale with everyone at the same time!!!!!!!

Dressing up can help with these skills with less pressure and frustration!

Some times we remove shoes and socks... depending on what we are doing.

We have access to outdoors continually but the space in the hall is nice to use but maybe very focused specific PE sessions should be left until they are older???

Not saying you are right or wrong just that its worth thinking about

Thank you for your reply

I do need to think about and re-address this. i was looking at the enjoyment the children were getting out of the session and maybe felt it was managed better and safer with a set routine in PE sessions.

Oh well back to te drawing board.

I'm obviously missing something here - that all sounds great to me - surely it's all about a balance of activities and what works for you and your children.

Would suggest that the children demonstrated 'high levels of involvement' - how can that be a bad thing?!?

Sunnyday

I'm obviously missing something here - that all sounds great to me - surely it's all about a balance of activities and what works for you and your children.

Would suggest that the children demonstrated 'high levels of involvement' - how can that be a bad thing?!?

Sunnyday

it definately works for my children who have limited exp from home. the inspector said as it was a group of 26 in hall and 26 in nursery doing music activity it was like teaching a class even though each group had 4 other adults and the groups need to be smaller but as I am in such a big school we can only have the hall twice a week one mornin session and one aft. I will continue to read your messages they are hlpful thnk you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)