Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lotions And Potions

Hi all

I am just preparing for our latest Parent/child workshop and wanted to do somthing around the theme of 'Potions and lotions'- where children and parents could make something of this ilk together. I was inspired by the programme the other night of the guy who uses plants for home remedies, partuculaly the bath bombs.

I am looking for inspiration as to a few activities that the children can have a go at that is a) not too expensive to produce :o doesnt require any heating up of ingredients c) fun fun fun!

I also thought about doing little pot porri bags using dried flowers and binca- something simple for the children to have a good at sewing themselves?

What do you think? Any ideas?

i suppose they could also make a small bag of non-cook playdough too?

Hi

do you want to make REAL stuff like pot porri as you state. Or if not what about all the activities for messy play like green gloop a variety of dough from stretchy,shiny cooked etc soap flakes/ shaving foam corn flour etc. Ive just recently been on a course and got recipes etc if you want them.

HI Shyla

would love your recipes thankyou:-) I was thinking of trying something like a lotion but want something really simple with no cooking as we will be doing this in the school hall as the nursery will be too small for all our children and parents. So equipment and access to heat won't be that easy to provide.

I ahve found a recipe for lip balm using pertrolium jelly, honey and melted chocolate! maybe I could replace the chocolate with something else :o

But yes if you could post your recipes that would give me something else to consider thank you

If you make a little bag - or - this looks prettier - use a boots nappy liner you can make lovely bath thingies. Mix together lavander flowers, fine oatmeal and dried milk powder. put a tablespoon or so onto a nappy liner and bring up the sides. Tie tightly around the top of the mix to make a tight 'ball' using a pretty ribbon (narrow is best) then use pinking shears to cut excess nappy liner away about 4cms or so above your ribbon tie. Spread the top bit out and you can use the ribbon to either hang the bag under the running tap, or just leave it as a pretty bow. They make skin really soft.

hey Cait that sounds good- when you say leave the bag under a running tap so you mean that it melts as the hot water hits it or do you split the bag first? Who did you make them with/for? And is there a particular brand of milk powder I need to use or oatmeal?

thanks for that Cait one last thing when you say nappy liner do you mean nappy sacks?

I will pop out to Tesco's tomorrow to buy some oatmeal and milk powder, although with a child with a severe nut allergy I will have to check the labels- tesco are notorious for confusing allergy labels!

I will let you know how my samples go :o

thanks for that Cait one last thing when you say nappy liner do you mean nappy sacks?

I will pop out to Tesco's tomorrow to buy some oatmeal and milk powder, although with a child with a severe nut allergy I will have to check the labels- tesco are notorious for confusing allergy labels!

I will let you know how my samples go :o

no - nappy liner - if they still sell them. I assume they do - I got mine from boots. They are like teabag material, papery stuff

again thanks for the clarification as I had in my head a nappy sack!!! Will look out for nappy liners.

Another quick question- found a recipe for 'Chocolate Lovers Milk Bath' (great idea for mothers day); it is like yours but uses cornstarch

2 cups of powdered milk

1/4 cup of cocoa

2 tablespoons of cornstarch

Now what do you suppose the cornstartch is for and do you know where to get it? is is a liquid or powder do you think?

Whoops think that is well over one question :o

Now what do you suppose the cornstartch is for and do you know where to get it? is is a liquid or powder do you think?

Its just cornflour - but I think the Americans call it cornstarch.

Maz

Hi Happy Maz

I thought it was cornflour but just wondered what the purpose was in this recipe? I suppose I should give it a go with it and without it- I have this image of a turning out to be covered in a gloopy mess :o

Hi Apple Shyla here :o

Play clay

1 cup flour

1/2 cup of salt 1/4 cup of water

food colouring

Method: mix together add colour,knead make an object etc and leave to harden.!

easy dough

2 cup of plain flour

1 cup of salt

1 cup of water

shiny dough

2 cups of plain flour

1 cup of salt

2 tea spoons of oil

water as required

stretchy dough

3 cups of Self raising flour

water to mix

knead

also check out www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1611,147171-236192,00.html

best

Shyla xD

no - nappy liner - if they still sell them. I assume they do - I got mine from boots. They are like teabag material, papery stuff

could use a j-cloths if not..they make them in nice colours now too.

thanks for the recipe Cait- we've had to do a quick change of plan and I've been racking my brains all day, but now it's sorted!!

xxxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)