Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For Activities Which Focus On 'rolling'!

Hi

Have had our weekly planning meeting with 3-4s practitioners today and from lots of observations in the room this week a common strand that has appeared on our PLOD (possible lines of development chart) is 'rolling!'

The team have come up with the obvious activities to meet the childrens interest of rolling - eg rolling themselves down grassed area, rolling hoops, balls etc, rolling dough, rolling marbles/golf balls in paint and then in trays. Just wondered if any of you have other ideas, especially linked to PSRN or KUW or possible 'rolling' enhancements to the continuous provision. Thanks.

:o Karen xD

Thanks Maz. Maybe we could test a range of objects to see if they roll or not! or different surfaces in guttering to see how it affects the speed of objects. Thanx again - keep your ideas coming, they're much appreciated.

Karen

Cheese rolling! I would wager that nobody outside of Gloucestershire has thought of that one... :o

Seriously though, all sorts of possibilities with this - using different size/weight balls to roll down a ramp/tube etc and seeing which goes faster/further and so on. Different shapes - what rolls, what doesn't?

We have a few boys who constantly roll paper we have made telescopes when we had a Pirate theme and we also rolled paper to make swords, bending the end back on itself and using tape to form a handle, this week we are going to 'roll' cone shapes to make a pop up toy for Mother's Day

Thanks everyone! Cheese rolling Daddy daycare - that sounds an interesting one and certainly one I hadn't thought of!! - suppose you could do it with potatoes as well!!!!

Our boys love the marble racer so much Santa brought another set so they could extend their play. We use it in the tuff spot inside and out.

ELC marble racer-but others are available

Golf ball paper rolling, marble and golf balls in water tray. Yoyo's. We have some spools from cording with our outside bricks and the children like to roll them.

Guest Wolfie
Cheese rolling! I would wager that nobody outside of Gloucestershire has thought of that one... :o

A serious risk assessment attached to that one if I remember the TV footage I saw of the event correctly......several broken bones and heavy bruising sustained by participants??!! xD

you could also make a set of arches from piece of cardboard - each one has a number above it - child rolls ball or marble and says what number it goes through they could have several turns and add numbers or predict which number it will go through or make simple five bar gtate to calculate which number the balls go through most

A serious risk assessment attached to that one if I remember the TV footage I saw of the event correctly......several broken bones and heavy bruising sustained by participants??!! xD

Indeed Wolfie, not sure Ofsted would approve no matter how robust the Risk Assessment... :o

Thank you everyone for all your ideas. Im going to avoid cheese rolling and do some potato rolling down the ramps! Have got some good ideas and am actually looking forward to this week! If I get the time, I will attach my planning sheets in case anyone ends up with 'rolling' as their child initiated theme. Thanks again!

Karen

rolling playdough and measuring which is the longest. we join blocks together to measure and the older children could perhaps be introduced to rulers, good luck karenchick you sound like you are going to have a great week, mrsW.x

Bit late with a reply but .... we gave the children pringle tubes (with their lids) and the wooden lid of a storage box. They then rolled eachother aroung the classroom putting the back tube to the front. Good for problem solving, working co-operatively etc. The pringle tubes were strong enough - promise.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)