Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chicken Pox

Help!

After just 1 week working in a nursery (covering a long term absence) I have come down with shingles. The books say that you can't catch shingles from chicken pox but one of the children is away with - guess what - chicken pox. Has anyone else had the same experience?

unlikely to have it because of child..

shingles is usually in the body after having had chicken pox at sometime, and can remain dormant in the body, sometimes never surfacing, but in most cases, an episode of shingles occurs for no apparent reason. Sometimes a period of stress or illness seems to trigger it.

so perhaps just the stress of a new job triggered it.

You can however catch chicken pox from shingles!

hope it is not too bad...it can be very painful as it affects the nerve and can still cause nerve pain after it has gone.

Inge

There is always Chicken Pox going around and if the nursery is quite large the chances of a child having it is quite high. But it is just coincidence. As Inge says, perhaps the changes in work patterns etc. have caused you more stress than you might imagine and so made you more susceptible to an attack of shingles. My mum had it a couple of years ago and found it extremely painful. Make sure you go to the doctors. My mum put it off and suffered for some time and once she got the right medication it eased it no end.

Poor you - my hubby had shingles - many moons ago - v. poorly with it - it is my understanding that it is a stress related illness. As Beau said make sure the doctor is giving you some medication.

Hope you soon feel better - take it easy - you really need to rest.

Sunnyday

Help!

After just 1 week working in a nursery (covering a long term absence) I have come down with shingles. The books say that you can't catch shingles from chicken pox but one of the children is away with - guess what - chicken pox. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Poor you, hope you're feeling better soon. I have to agree with Inge it often comes on with stress. One of the girls on my EYPS coure got it just before a big presentation we had to do.

Take care and rest lots

Julie

Guest Wolfie

My daughter had chicken pox when she was three months old and then shingles when she was 4! The doctor diagnosed the spots as insect bites so I didn't keep her away from nursery...she gave practically every child there chicken pox! :o

Do you know if you had chicken pox as a child? I'm sure you can't have shingles before chicken pox - as others have said, it's the same virus, which lies dormant in your body and can resurface as shingles when your resistance is low. You MUST go to the doctors, it can be extremely painful but there is medication available to help relieve the symptoms.

Edited by Wolfie

My doctor said: "You get chicken-pox and then fifty years later you get shingles", which almost to the day is what happened to me! People who haven't had chicken-pox can catch it from shingles so spread it around the nursery! In fact, I'm a great believer in chicken-pox parties because, if you catch it later in life, it's a big problem

Ouch! I had shingles years ago, just after my stepson had chickenpox!

It was VERY painful and I remember sleeping a lot - just getting out of bed and showering wore me out! Hubby used to say it was as though I'd got sleeping sickness :o

Take care of yourself, rest lots, and if you've only just got it the doctor may be able to prescribe anti-virals, which reduce the symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon,

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)