Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Freaky Is This?

Went on a course today..(not the best ever).

Walked in sat down to a lady (as opposed to to a youngster!), The form came round to sign in. She signed first then me....then she said

Not sure if i should tell you this but im the lady (supervisor) you phoned last week about the the pre-school job :oxD:( :( :( :wacko: xD (this is the job that i so desperately want etc etc and asked you lot if i should apply for having not got the NVQ 3 yet!)

Jut what are the chances of that eh??

Didnt really know what to do! Anyway both decided not to talk about it but suppose when you are on these sort of courses where you have to do a bit of role play etc etc you do end up talking about your own settings/experiences. As I said to her I actually use the courses to get info about other settings, how they do things. Anyway she seemed a really nice lady and throughout the session we exchanged a bit of info. Here's hoping I havent put her off.

Still cant get over what a fluke it was.

Edited by marley

It happens all the time marley - you'd be surprised where I have come across people who have called me about a job! :o

I'm not going to say too much, because a nod's a wink to a blind bat! xD

I'm sure you made a great impression - but if I were you I'd have been a bit nervous and wondered whether she was watching me all morning! :(

At least when it comes to shortlisting and interviewing she'll be able to put a face to your name, which has to be good!

Maz

I think that's great. As Maz said it's always better to put a face to a name. It should work to your advantage (unless you sat there picking your nose or some other nasty habit!!) What did you think of her though?

Hi

Yes she seemed really nice. We seemed to have a good laugh (always important) and exchange of general info between the 4 of us in the group (did help that we all didnt yhink much of the training!).

She hasnt yet got my application form as it goes to the council until the closing date on Mon. Hard to say if I made a good impression as depends what you are looking for! Im not particularly shy and so was joining in with the discussions we had in the whole group ie at one point i was putting the case foward on how different things are with pre-schools compared to private day nurseries in terms of staff finding time to do things (hot topic of mine!) xD . Depends if she found this a good thing or too much??! :( Does she want a member of staff that challenges things etc/

Oh well time will only tell wont it :o

May be a fluke..

but also could be beneficial as she is now aware you are very willing to do additional training and open to new ideas, as well as keeping yourself informed and up to date.

Inge

Plus how i do things without getting paid for it (comm no longer paying for us to go on training as they cant afford it)

Oh that's v. odd - I would take as a good omen though - somethings are just meant to be.

I have to query why you won't get paid at least something for training though - supply cover will be paid to the committe.

I have also been training today and at some point £50.00 will be paid into my account (sorry should have explained I am owner/manager).

When my staff are training I pay them as if they had been working - they are really after all.

All good for your CV anyway.

Sunnyday

I have to query why you won't get paid at least something for training though - supply cover will be paid to the committe.

Are you and marley in the same local authority then sunnyday?

We occasionally get paid money to pay for staff cover when they attend training - but it tends to be the kind of thing that covers new initiatives or course content that the Borough wants all settings to receive rather than run of the mill stuff. Our staff get paid for attending training because as you say, it is good practice. However when margins are so tight it can be difficult to pay two people's salaries for one day's work!

Maz

Are you and marley in the same local authority then sunnyday?

We occasionally get paid money to pay for staff cover when they attend training - but it tends to be the kind of thing that covers new initiatives or course content that the Borough wants all settings to receive rather than run of the mill stuff. Our staff get paid for attending training because as you say, it is good practice. However when margins are so tight it can be difficult to pay two people's salaries for one day's work!

Maz

Good point Maz - hadn't thought about it being different arrangement in differing authorities - I don't know where Marley is - I'm Kent, £50.00 that I mentioned is standard unless we are told specifically 'there won't be supply cover'.

sunnyday

Sorry..no not in Kent...Notts. some training is paid for eg EYF was but others not eg first aid, child protection . This was one I wanted to go on...right thing to say to parents...wasnt quite what i had in mind. Normally do get paid for courses even if setting cant claim. Thing is I had my job share cover me so she will get paid.

Chair said yesterday that we have to not get paid for meetings, keyworker file updates or admin or planning as they ant afford it now so presume I wont be paid for today. Hubby not best pleased about it tho as he says if that bad they should have told me not to go on course. Not sure if i should try to claim or what?

Also after yeterdays meeting staff have decided that seeing as we are going to have to do so much in own time that if we dont get tidied up in our work hours then comm will have to come and finish off. All of us were getting really fed up of staying late as it was but at last we were being paid. We''ll see. Lots of things are going onhere at the mo...no money, talk of emergency getting us into school fast...thats not brilliant as the room they have offered us is less than half size of what we use now so thinking OFSTED would reduce our numbers so even less money All a bit of a mess (whats new). school involved, teachers talking to supervisor, head talking to comm, they not taking to supervisor ....arrrgghhh!

This is really tricky marley - what does your contract of employment/letter of offer say? If you normally get paid for attending training then I would put it on my timesheet (or however you claim for these things). The committee should know the kind of 'debts' they are running up - if the business isn't viable then you can't sustain this for very long and they need to know the true cost of running the group. Then when and if the money situation becomes more healthy they could pay you back what they owe you for all the unpaid work you've done.

Have you seen the accounts? I think if the staff are subsidising the group to the extent you all are then you have a right to have full disclosure of the financial situation so that you can make a judgement about whether this is a short-term blip or whether the group's long term viability is at risk.

I think you're right to go on a bit of a 'go slow' as far as clearing up after the session is concerned - it is only fair that the committee should take their fair share in supporting the group through this troubling time.

Good luck - and I really hope the other job comes up trumps!

Maz