Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tuff Spot Help Please?

I have been reading about Tuff Spots on the forum and realise it is a kind of messy area where the children can explore different messy items with resources to extend. Although we do all kinds of messy play we normally just have them in trays on tables etc. and I just wondered could someone explain to me exactly what the tuff spot is physically about. Such as what is the stuff in, where in the room do you have it and do the children access it independently, do you get a lot of mess etc. etc.

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the excellent info and help I have gained from reading on the forum. I have replied to a few posts but this is the first time I have attempted to start one so hopefully I have done it right, if not I'm sure someone will help me.

Hi, we used a tuff spot in our preschoolo nearly everyday, purely because they are so adaptable! can put absolutely anything in them, from threading beads (stops them rolling off the table!) to gloop or even sand/water ...we put ours either on a table without chairs surrounding it so the kids could stand or sometimes we put it on the floor, although the younger ones would often stand in it!!!

Very durable, can be put inside or left outside over night if the garden is secure and noone can take it!

basically its like a huge tray with deep edges ...v.usefull

tuff spott

the link is for piture of one in use..

originally they were builders trays for mixing cement until the early years discovered the many uses and produced lots of stuff to do with them.. we bought ours from a local builders merchant. it is black but really cheap to buy.

can be used on a table, or flor or I think they make stands for them now.

messy, depends on contents, location and children. Can be, but also we find can be a good way to help contain small items like pegs for pegboards.

lots of ideas all over the forum, try a search...( use the blue search forum post sausage at top right of page)

Inge

Thanks Inge Now I know what one looks like. I have read all the pages on tuff spots so now know what "lovely" things you all put in them. The tuff spot looks great but I imagine they aren't cheap. Have printed out picture to show my Manager, as she had never heard of them when I mentioned them to her. Will have to tell her how wonderful they are. I live in hope!!! :o

they cost from 10.00 ( our building supplier sold one to us for this) to 15.00 for a blue one from educational suppliers... cheap enough to have several....will see if I can find a link to one from a supplier

Inge

Woo Inge! I'm soooo impressed! This sounds so much better than 'tuff spot' which is probably the old builder's tray name!

and they're not as expensive as I thought!

We have 4!!! One is permanently on the floor with sand. Then we have one on the table most days in our messy room with pasta, rice and such like. We have one in our quiet room with different none messy things-this week we have kaleidoscopes and colour paddles etc. We then have one which we bring out every now and again if the children want one for the floor in our quiet room.

We don't have all the mats, just add bits of fabric or whatever is needed.

Linda

goodness! I have seen these in my daughters school and thought they looked amazing but I expected them to be very expensive! I can't believe how reasonable they are!

My only problem is where to store it in my house but I'm sure I can find a space somewhere in the garage!

Thanks!

I think this is what you need to buy if you want to have a frame to stand it on - I have a sneaking suspicion that the frames might not work well with the tuff spots from builder's merchants. But I'm willing to be corrected if anyone knows better! :o

Thanks a lot everyone for your excellent replies, pictures and links. They are not as expensive as I thought and I am showing my manager this morning. I can't wait to get some and add all the lovely ideas to put in them. Thanks for all your excellent help, yet again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)