Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teacher Attitude(long One)

hi

my daughter who is 15 is taking part in a fashion show, the teacher who is organising it keeps having a go at my daughter which is making her feel like she doesn't want her to take part, daughter thinks because she is not a popular girl and thin!.. so this morning decided to phone teacher and explained how daughter felt.. teacher was lovely and agreed to go to speak to her straight away. anyway everything was fine and i phoned teacher to thank her for being understanding.

this afternoon i received a phone call from my daughter crying, when i calmed her down she explained that her head of year called my daughter into the office and told her that she was out of order getting ME to phone the school. my daughter tried to explain what happen but the teacher told her to 'shut up, get out and i cant be bothered with you'. well obviously i went to the school to see the teacher, teacher was teaching at the time so i waited till it was break time. finally got to see teacher. when explained daughter was upset the way she spoke to her, teacher replied 'well let me tell you what happened' started to explain to myself, my daughter then wanted to say had she felt. teacher replied 'im talking, wait till if finished. i explained to teacher if you dont let my daughter explain herself she is going to forget what she wanted to say. teacher replied 'if you dont like it transfer her to another school' in the end walked out of meeting and made appointment to see headteacher on thursday.

when walking out of school my daughter turned to me and said 'mum got double welsh with her tomorrow what if she has a go at me' i replied 'dont say anything ignore her" teacher said to me "oh thats i nice way to support your child"

in my oppinion you hear of 15 years old being cheaky to teachers and in a way can understand why they are when some teachers dont give them chance to explain themselves. also the teacher she not have spoken to me like that.

any advice how to handle this situation would be greatly apprieciated.

oh dear what a situation. never experienced this with my grown up children but still have one to go(10Year old) My nursery nurse has a similar situation which has gone even further now. I know teachers have a hard time in secondary schools (I would never be one) but they need to remember their pupils still have parents who care and do not like to see their children troubled. I think you have done the right thing in seeing the head. Surely parents as Partners encompasses all stages of education? Did you have any witnesses as this might help. Let us know how you get on.

Oh I am seriously shocked, how can a teacher tell a child to 'shut up', in my opinion that is wholly inappropriate. You have obviously handled this v. well - appointment with headteacher - I will be v. interested in replies you may receive from teachers (I'm pre-school).

All good wishes to you and your daughter.

Do let us know what happens.

Sunnyday

This was grossly unprofessional and I'd have been tempted to go straight to the head there and then! Write it down NOW whilst it's still fresh in your mind, and send it to the head straight away then she knows EXACTLY what you are going to see her about, and you'll have had your say. I'd be tempted to send a copy to the Chair of Governors too. If you get no joy I'd be seriously tempted to contact Ofsted and complain. HOW DARE SHE tell you to take your child elsewhere! Would serve her right if she had no pupils in her class in the morning!

thanks cait

will write down what was said and give it to my daughter to give to headteacher tomorrow, earliest appointment i could get was thursday so will let everyone know how i got on. the thing that upset me more was that my daughter is sitting G.C.S.E next year, not a good time for this to be happening.

Gosh, I think I'd seriously consider moving schools but still go on with the complaint to the head and also to the governors and the LEA. My friend is doing all of the above after she was told to move schools when she complained about the SEN provision for her son.

Dont let it go. Some teachers seem to be power hungry, they need to stop and think and realise these young people are just that, young people, with thoughts and opinions and the right to defend themselves, and for their parents to get involved if they arent listened to. They also deserve respect if they are to give respect.

Young people get a lot of bad press nationally, they dont need their teachers to join in. I thought pastoral care was part of their job.

I hope your daughter is big enough to push this aside and see that she deserves better.

not easy moving daughter to another school, i'm not saying the school is bad, my son who left last year passed 10 gcse, but all the local schools to me are very good and are not taking any new intakes.

What an attitude for a teacher to take! I'm hopping mad on your behalf!

Great advice given already - write notes, get your daughter to write down what's happened too (in case one or both of you get angry/upset on Thursday)

Did any of your daughter's friends see/hear what's been said to her previously? Would they be prepared to back her up - in writing, if they prefer?

There is a set procedure for complaints about schools - have you tried local authority website? If nothing there I know copies of the leaflets about it are on display in local children's centres and schools - you may be able to pick up a copy from another school if you don't want to approach your daughter's school tomorrow.

In view of today's events it may be worth phoning school tomorrow morning to see if they can bring the meeting forward.

I'm also sure you can get support/information on handling this sort of issue from Kidscape - they deal with lots of schools and not just about bullying.

Good Luck!!

Nona