Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stickers, Rewards And Behaviour Management

Having recently moved into the early Years sector from a school environment Iam relatively new to early years and just needed some ideas, advice and / or guidance please.

I have been asked to work on improving behaviour in our 3-5 room within the nursery. Having observed the current situation it is eveident that the staff often forget to praise the children for doing well and that the children's behaviour is an attempt to gain attention.

I have suggested a similar project to one i used in a school nursery and i have set up a rewards board. each child has their own picture and when they are spotted doing something well they are able to move their picture along. when they hit the target the children are praised and given a sticker as a reward. We make sure that the children know why they ave been given a sticker and what they have done well.

Today I have been told that this has to stop as OFSTED disagree with the use of stickers in the Early Years. Is this ture or yet another old wives tale?

Whilst I see little point in putting stickers on babies jumpers, when they have no concept of what they have done well, I do find it harder to believe that this is unacceptable with older childre who do have clear concepts of right and wrong.

Where do I stand with this? your help would be greatly appreciated!

There is always a bit of a debate about the merits and usefulness of stickers and rewards, with no real answer either way. Providing you have good rationale for using it and it is helping to improve practice I am sure OFSTED will have no complaints. However, you can't predict how individual inspectors may react. In this situation I would just stick to your guns and be ready with good justification that they would find difficult to refute! :o

Hi Purry,

We had Ofsted in our setting in December...yep, Christmas week!!.

The inspector loved our reward / sticker system:

We have a 'shiny box' ( covered shoe box with little slot in top) so when the children do something really good, kind, listen well, tidy up etc etc, they get a post it from a member of staff to post in the 'shiny box'. The box is opened during the end of session time, and the post- its are given out with a sticker and all friends and staff clap for them. The post it goes home with the child so the parents can see exactly what 'wow' thing their child has done that day.

The children never tire of the 'shiny box' and are so proud of themselves for posting thier name in it.

Parents love it and sometimes ask us to put their childs name in it if they can eat breakfast, get dressed, be kind at home!!!

Its great for our parent partnership too.

Good luck.x

Hi Purry,

We had Ofsted in our setting in December...yep, Christmas week!!.

The inspector loved our reward / sticker system:

We have a 'shiny box' ( covered shoe box with little slot in top) so when the children do something really good, kind, listen well, tidy up etc etc, they get a post it from a member of staff to post in the 'shiny box'. The box is opened during the end of session time, and the post- its are given out with a sticker and all friends and staff clap for them. The post it goes home with the child so the parents can see exactly what 'wow' thing their child has done that day.

The children never tire of the 'shiny box' and are so proud of themselves for posting thier name in it.

Parents love it and sometimes ask us to put their childs name in it if they can eat breakfast, get dressed, be kind at home!!!

Its great for our parent partnership too.

Good luck.x

Love this and will be taking the idea to playschool tomorrow, if that's ok.

Just a thought, I thought you were going to say that at the end of the session, the child with the most post-its got something special. What do you think?

Edited by Guest

We give reward stickers - usually either smiley faces or to do with the theme - if there is one. We also have a box of Spiderman and Disney Princess ones so that children can choose. We give them if a child has been really helpful or really kind and always note down in their home diary what they did, sticking a matching sticker in there too.

I like them - it's amazing how quickly the room gets tidied if children see another child being rewarded in this way for some good 'picking up'

Guest MaryEMac

We have a star chart , where each child has to get 10 stars and then they got a toy out of the shiny purple hatbox. We buy things like shiny pencils, notebooks, bracelets, parachute men, whistles etc.

At circle time each member of staff says who they want to give a star to and that child puts their star up. Then we count to see who has 10, name recognition. Also maths when they count to see how many more stars they need for a present. Our parents like it and so did the Ed Psych who came in.

Mary

I see no reason not to use rewards/stickers, provided there is consistency and that if a child subsequently 'slips up' these are not taken away! And yes, I have witnessed this - it is so upsetting to see the little ones breaking their hearts. After all, they were being wow when it was given - we can all have blips!

There are some lovely ideas here, and I agree about babies and stickers being inappropriate; the parent input is just brilliant! I'm not so sure about 'the most post-its' competition, it might be a bit counter-productive?

Sue :o

we give out stickers and have a golden book where children that have done 'something nice or helpful' get put in then they can choose a reward eg first in line choosing a story etc... works really well :o

Love this and will be taking the idea to playschool tomorrow, if that's ok.

Just a thought, I thought you were going to say that at the end of the session, the child with the most post-its got something special. What do you think?

Me too ...what a brilliant idea! : )

It's a fantastic idea! I am a childminder and I have problems with behaviour management with certain children and I think they will really benefit from this!

Thank you! I hope you don't mind us all borrowing your idea.

Jennie

I dont mind stickers occassionally, but from what you describe maybe your staff need a reminder too. Bad behaviour often stems from children needing more attention or stimulation. I like the idea of a box at least then there is no danger of parents seeing a chart and being able to complain their child isnt on it or brag that they are on it a lot.

we occassionally used stickers i am always open to a bit of bribery if it helps but it must always be inclusive for all children

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)