Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Would You Wear A Suit?

I know this sounds really silly, but it's been a long time since I had an interview, and I've never had one for foundation stage. Do people still wear suits/smart stuff? The school in question only know me as a Y5/6 teacher, and I don't want to come across as all shoulder pads and high heels when that's not what I'm like at all.

I'm not thinking of going in my jeans and a pair of slippers, just wondered if I should go for the more casual look to show them I don't mind a bit of paint in my hair or playdough down my jumper :o

What do you think?

All I would advise is go looking tidy. By this I mean that you shouldn't have any underwear showing - thongs, bra straps etc. If you need a blouse, make sure it's buttoned for decency.

I've just been reading a thread on TES website about this very thing. Lots of very strong views on there!!!

I always go smart. I have worn a suit recently - but those positions were for a career move as well as a reception class teacher. I wouldn't wear jeans. I think smart casual would be fine.

I'm just imagining the look on the head teacher's face if you walked in wearing jeans and slippers! :o

Its hard for me to comment really since I'm not a teacher, but I think whatever you wear shouldn't be a barrier to getting down on the floor with the children should the opportunity arise during your interview or visit to the classroom. So ideally your clothes should strike a balance between showing you are taking the job interview seriously by presenting a professional appearance, and the need for practicality in preparation for a painted handprint on the side of your skirt/trousers which is always a hazard of the job!

Good luck with your interview - and I'll be interested to see what other teachers on here have to say!

Maz

Comfort would be the key for me. If you're the sort of person like me who would be tying themselves up in knots with nerves, then you need to be comfortable on the day. I wouldn't wear a suit personally but you do need to look as if you've made an effort, and as the others have said, functional should you be asked to spend any time with the children.

Good luckwith it.

I would wear a suit or smart trousers, skirt and jumper type outfit as I don't think the interview panel would ever look negatively on you being too smart - unless you went in a party dress lol.

while I think there is a slight danger of being negatively judged for not being smart enough.

Having just finished our 2nd stag of interviews I can tell you that most candidates tunrned up in jeans and did not look smart at all, we were appalled. However one candidate wore a suit and we weren't sure if she would get down on the floor with the children, so they couldn't win really. However that was also stage one, when the candidates were asked to come and do an activity with the children the lady in the suit still looked smart but a bit more casual.

I would look as though I had made an effort to be smart but in something that I would worry about getting dirty if you know you will have to work with the children at this stage.

Good luck

Having just finished our 2nd stag of interviews I can tell you that most candidates tunrned up in jeans and did not look smart at all, we were appalled. However one candidate wore a suit and we weren't sure if she would get down on the floor with the children, so they couldn't win really. However that was also stage one, when the candidates were asked to come and do an activity with the children the lady in the suit still looked smart but a bit more casual.

I would look as though I had made an effort to be smart but in something that I would worry about getting dirty if you know you will have to work with the children at this stage.

Good luck

I know just how you feel -

I think a suit is a little over the top all that black - also if you are expected to work iwth the hcildren a suit might hinder you - I wore a colourful skirt and a smart top and took a jacket fo rthe formal part of the interview - I would say if like me you are prone to nerves stay away from dark tops - they have a tendancy to show damp patches up relly well!!!

good luck with your interview if the job is right for you you will be successful

g

Whatever did I do before I found this forum?

Had to smile at Cait's advice:

All I would advise is go looking tidy. By this I mean that you shouldn't have any underwear showing - thongs, bra straps etc. If you need a blouse, make sure it's buttoned for decency.

If only my cleavage and thongs days were more than a distant memory! :o

Got a great picture of you now... How big are the shoulder pads?!

Think looking smart in a suit would be good idea. If you get it dirty ... clean it. Not the end of the world is it?! They'll be able to tell by your interview answers if you're the type to get your hands dirty.

Good luck anyway!

Hi All - just laughing at the comments on here - how about how we all look when we finish - every day I go home in a worse condition to the children ................................long gone are the days when I dressed up for work lovely clothes heels, now my boots are covered in paint that will not come off etc etc. - happy days though............... :o

If you are going for an interview for a professional job then you should dress very smart in my opinion. A trouser suit is ideal, maybe if you had brighter top underneath and left jacket open. But I would defo not go casual. You are always best to dress smart and then act like you are prepared to get dirty, and if you get taken around the school get down on those kness and level with the children asap. lol. A knee slide into the wet area should get rid of any fears about formality. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)