Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dummy Policy

aan

We certainly have children of two and half who at times need their dummy whilst at preschool. More often than not it is for short periods of time, either to settle if upset on arrival or if distressed during the setting. I don't like dummies but see it as being no different to a distressed child having their comfort blanket.

I don't see how we could possibly have any sort of 'no dummy' policy and really don't see the need for such a policy but maybe that's just me. Children in our setting with dummies are treated in the same way as any other child who brings a comforter be it a tatty blanket/teddy/doll etc.

We have a 'special shelf' for 'precious things' and the vast majority of children are happy to have their comforters on the shelf for the duration of the session. It seems as though knowing they are available if needed is enough :o

We certainly don't have children wandering around with dummies in their mouths! I think the whole 'dummy issue' is quite an emotive debate. Before I had children of my own I was in the 'no child of mine will have a dummy' camp but of my four sons two had dummies and two didn't - the two without were thumb suckers. This habit took far longer to break than getting rid of the dummy. When I needed to almost take a mortgage out for orthodontal treatment in their teenage years it was for the two thumb suckers xD

I was interested to read about the recommendation from the IDP programme. I have just finished the first year of this programme and the issue of having a dummy policy was never raised. I just wonder if it could be personal views of course presenters??

You could be right. I don't 'forbid' dummies, for the same reasons you mention, children put them in their trays or book bag or Mum takes it home. Sometimes in their first few days they slip them in for a minute or two, but that's it. It's there if they need it and that's enough. We've had our share of smelly blankies and ratty teds etc too. Whatever 'floats their boat' security-wise

at the moment we allow the very young children to come in with their dummies to settle them in as a comfort same as we do blankets etc. but we usually are able to get them to hand them to us as soon as they are settled in. And eventually most of them do stop bringing them in. Its just a few children who are more reluctant to give them up. I have put information out on Speech and Language information board about dummies. I know there was talk about having a "dummy hotel" - a special box to keep them in. We do not have anything in writing to say what our policy on dummies is and just wondered if anybody else has anything in writing.

Thanks for all your excellent comments. I have on reflection decided to add something about dummies in the information part of our prospectus. An interesting discussion though. I'm looking forward to the next year's IDP training on ASD.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)