Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

When Should I Start Looking For A Childminder?

Hi there haven't posted for a while, usually post on the other sub forums in here, I wonder if you people in here could help me.

I'm expecting my first child in 6 weeks and will be looking to return to work after christmas, I haven't yet thought of what hours I will do or anything but one thing I do know is that I want to use a childminder.

So,

Should I start looking now?

where do I start?

what should I look for?

what questions should I ask?

what would I be paying per hour on average?

Sorry for all the questions but I really don't know where to start and people I talk to on baby forums have said they have already booked their child into nursery :o and I'm getting worried!

Thanks in advance :D

Hi there haven't posted for a while, usually post on the other sub forums in here, I wonder if you people in here could help me.

I'm expecting my first child in 6 weeks and will be looking to return to work after christmas, I haven't yet thought of what hours I will do or anything but one thing I do know is that I want to use a childminder.

So,

Should I start looking now?

where do I start?

what should I look for?

what questions should I ask?

what would I be paying per hour on average?

Sorry for all the questions but I really don't know where to start and people I talk to on baby forums have said they have already booked their child into nursery :o and I'm getting worried!

Thanks in advance :D

Hi there

No harm in starting to look, it will give you a chance to visit and get a gut feeling about someone. you can then start by building up the relationship.

What are you looking for; someone who you feel comfortable with and connect with. Someone who is on your wavelength about routines, eating/feeding habits, discipline etc.

to get info, contact your local familes information service (childcarelink) and they will give you a list of minders in your area.

The setting should be welcoming and friendly, toys and equipment for all age groups - clean as well. The setting may not necessarily by a quiet one - after all its a childminding setting but it should be relaxed. The children there should be happy and relaxed.

Don't be afraid to ask questions;

where will my baby sleep, how will you accomodate his/her routine, where will you take my baby, how many other children do you have on roll, do you have references, why are you a childminder, how long have you been childminding, do you have any qualifications (they might have DHC, NVQ 3 and Quality Assurance - they must have first aid as a bare minimum).

Make a list of the things you need to ask - pets, other children etc. Ask to see their insurance details, you will sign a contract as well (this is a legally binding document). Remember that the childminder is offering her service that you are choosing to take up , she does not work for you, you will be agreeing to her terms and conditions, so read everything first and negotiate.

What wil you pay - depends upon the area - each area is different.

We are not supposed to take money to hold a place for an unborn baby. Once baby is born you could secure the place with a deposit (could be quite substantial) and then once the placement starts you would get the deposit refunded on how you agree with the minder. During this time it may be a good idea to familiarise baby with the minder.

Best of luck

i dont think you can be too early - time does fly doesnt it? do you know anyone who uses a childminder they would recommend ? also get a list from your local childrens information service - that will give you a starting point too.

you could also ask to see Ofsted reports if she has them yet.Average fee round here is £3 per hour, but where my daughter lives,(about 20 miles away), its more like £4.50, so ask if she accepts any work voucher scheme you may be eligible for as some do, others don't.

I think the others have pretty much said it all. when you get a list from childcare link it will state if and how many vacancies the childminder has (not always that up to date though- depends if the childminder keeps it up todate) As you don't want a space for some time I would still call some of the ones who haven't a vacancy at present as they may have a child going to school in Sept/Jan and so have one for when you need it. I would also go and see quite a few childminders and feel free to ask to come back again before making your final decision after all its an important one. Ask to see references or if you can speak to one of the present parents and go with your gut feeling.

Hope you manage to find a childminder you are happy with and all the best for the forthcoming birth! :o

Hello.

www.ncma.org.uk (National Childminding Association) has a parents page with information on finding a childminder.

I agree with what everyone else has said.

Good advice offered already (as always!)

The NCMA leaflet is a very helpful starting point but DO ask around. I've had parents come to me after recommendations from their midwife, health visitor, children's centre and school headteacher!

The children's centre may run a childminder drop-in session where you could go and have a peek at some of the childminders in action!

i always advise my parents to go and see the childminder when other minded children are present, go with your "gut instinct" when you telephone them and arrange to visit the ones you feel comfortable with. You can always arrange a second visit "after hours" for more formal discussions.

Good Luck - I'm happy to answer any other questions that you may have after you've looked at some.

Nona

Hi Jester

Congratulations on the imminent arrival of your new baby. Where in Norfolk are you?

I would look as early as you are able to as others said, it gives you the opportunity to feel comfortable with the childminder you have chosen and helps you to build up a rapport with them.

Also people do get booked up fairly quickly so it will give you the opportunity to get in first.

I am a childminder in the Norfolk area and I charge £3 per hour. I may be looking to increase this in the near future but it will only be around 20p an hour increase. Childminders in surrounding villages may charge more as they may be the only childminders in the area so can charge more as they have no competitors.

I charge a deposit and then refund it off the first month's fees. However if someone decides not to take the space, the deposit will be non-refundable as I would have held the space open.

The questions I would expect to be asked are:

where do babies sleep, how do I accomodate their routine, will i take them out, how will i ensure their safety on outings, the number of children I look after, references, ofsted reports and I'm sure there are many more I've forgotten!

The most important thing is to go with your instincts and your child. Does your child feel comfortable with the minder, do they seem friendly and trustworthy and do you feel comfortable leaving your child with them.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

Jennie

• 1 month later...

i agree the sooner the better , then you can make an informed choice , good luck

Hi Jester

Congratulations on the imminent arrival of your new baby. Where in Norfolk are you?

I would look as early as you are able to as others said, it gives you the opportunity to feel comfortable with the childminder you have chosen and helps you to build up a rapport with them.

Also people do get booked up fairly quickly so it will give you the opportunity to get in first.

I am a childminder in the Norfolk area and I charge £3 per hour. I may be looking to increase this in the near future but it will only be around 20p an hour increase. Childminders in surrounding villages may charge more as they may be the only childminders in the area so can charge more as they have no competitors.

I charge a deposit and then refund it off the first month's fees. However if someone decides not to take the space, the deposit will be non-refundable as I would have held the space open.

The questions I would expect to be asked are:

where do babies sleep, how do I accomodate their routine, will i take them out, how will i ensure their safety on outings, the number of children I look after, references, ofsted reports and I'm sure there are many more I've forgotten!

The most important thing is to go with your instincts and your child. Does your child feel comfortable with the minder, do they seem friendly and trustworthy and do you feel comfortable leaving your child with them.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

Jennie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)