Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Sound Of Music

At the end of this month we will be having our "Easter Concert" (Primary and Foundation Stage) which does not have anything to do with Easter. This year it will be around musicals and our Foundation Stage groups will be singing "Do-Re-Mi" from "The Sound of Music". That hasn't been a problem. The children love the song and we have the ideas for their dress-up.

Just on Thursday we received our list with the common rehearsal days and knew that on the week of the 16th we will be having 2 rehearsals with all of the groups. We also have a field-trip that had been planned and organised several months ago. So, I have decided to change the topic I had for this week and change it around our musical. For C.D. we will be preparing our outfit and learning about the musical scale, apart from singing our song.

Any ideas for the rest of the areas? We already learnt about musical instruments in September.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the short notice.

catch squishy tomatoes, ride a bike, sail a boat, create a funicular railway up a mountainside with duplo train set, climb a mountain, pour a cup of tea, make jam and bread, make deer masks, run races, sew....

Hmm, think i've seen the film too much

Like the idea of eating jam and bread with tea :o They love using the school bikes and running, so that will not be a problem... ha-ha. No mountains in the northern part of Belgium xD

KG1 (2.5 to 3.5 year olds) will dress up like the symbols for the notes (doe, sun ray, etc.)

KG2 (3.5 to 4.5 year olds) will paint the symbols and the teacher will write those words.

KG3 (4.5 to 5.5 year olds) will paint the musical notes in the musical scale and write the names of the notes.. Do-Re-Mi...

How about making a glass jar xylophone ... pouring the water in and hitting bottle / jar with pencil and arranging notes highest to lowest? (science)

or .... how about taking 'the sound of music' as a verb rather than a noun and spend the week making different sounds of music - STOMP style (look on web), also the Fleetwood Mac song 'Tusk' lends itself to percussion orchestra. I did somehting in my classroom where the children made the furniture into the instruments - banging the floor, tapping pencils, using old fashioned school radiatora like tubular bells! (creative development and Physical)

Have a circle time - what is music? listen to a range, talk about why different people like different styles and make charts of who likes what (there's your pshe and maths)

good luck

pw

Sorry I didn't reply sooner... Dad called.

I am Puerto Rican (born in the USA but raised up in PR... all my family from there), but I live in Belgium xD My husband is Belgian and I now have the USA and Belgian citizenship.

I thought of that water bottle activity, but got mixed comments about it in Google, so wasn't sure it would work. I will try it first and see how it comes. The circle time activity is a good one. Thanks! The rest of your ideas I already did during our Musical Instruments topic in September. Thanks anyway :o !

Edited by SmileyPR

as well at tapping the bottles

getting the children to blow across the tops

its great for developing the mouth muscles especially for the younger ones speach development

I was going to suggest making dough for bread and jam

...........and then remembered its "doe a dear" not dough for bread

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)