Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour Modification/reward Charts

I have used behaviour modification systems / sticker charts / reward charts etc really successfully in the past. Last year my job share partner didn't believe in them so we didn't use any and I've got out of practice with them. I have a little boy in my class who responds well at home to a sticker chart and so we are usibg a similar thing at school to help him. He is quite motivated by achieving a star next to his name on the white board each time he achieves his behaviour target, but I wanted to give him more incentive by giving him a bigger reward after he collects 10 stars, for instance.

Further up the school, the rewards might be extra time on the computer, playing with the construction etc, but as we have evryhting on offer through continuous provision, I can't think of what to offer him, other than going to show the headteacher etc. Is a bigger reward to work towards inappropriate in reception, do you think, or can you think of a good one? What do you all do?

Could you buy some cheap books through the scholastic book club, or somewhere similar. After his 10 stickers he gets a book token and with 5 book tokens he gets a book? or whatever his interest is, a toy car or whatever

how about if he was presented with a certificate (for getting 10 stickers) at circle time or if you do some kind of registration time, then when he has got say 5 certificates then he could have something more like a pen or notebook like sunnyday suggested other wise it could get rather expensive

sal

Im sorry but a child who is responding to behaviour modification shouldnt get rewards that other children dont, in my opinion. Activity time of his choice is much more appropriate. Can you not give him sole use of something or special time with a friend or even a special time for the whole class?

It has to be done for everyone really, otherwise it's not inclusive. It needn't be expensive - books, pens, notepads etc can be picked up very cheaply these days. It doesn't need to go on for ever - just this half term perhaps to see how it goes. After Easter you could have some other type of reward, a sash to wear all week or a badge or something

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)